sepia at east coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancydrew

Aug 15, 2008
IMG_0056.jpg

hey guys, newbie here, this is one of my first picture taken at east coast arnd 1800hrs with 18-55, 22 exposure at 1/30. i loike the silent effects in sepia. maybe u guys be kind enough to drop some critiques. ~learning thru experience

i dunno about the others, but the tree, which i supposed to be the subject in this pic, does not work for me. The placement of it is too much towards the center. And it has nothing interesting around it.

what is your subject?

if it is the tree, visualise it without the coconut tree part poking past the right corner, and without the leaves on the left poking into the left corner. does it look better in your mind? this can be overcome by more careful framing.

composition is far more important than effects.

Well, like night86mare said, effects is one thing but without composition which is a basic and complex component of photos, your photo is one that does not have soul, that doesn't tell the viewer what the picture is trying to portray.

The horizon looks a bit tilted.

The leaves at the corner, is it because you were trying to use them as a "frame"?
It doesn't really work here. Also, the horizon is almost at the centre and has the unfortunate effect of cutting your main subject into two.

i feel personally that if you were to focus on the tree alone, then the leaves at the edges shouldn't be in the frame (at least it portrays a standalone tree). otherwise, a plain scenery of the sea would be great without trees and leaves. caught one of those at changi too.

what is your subject?

if it is the tree, visualise it without the coconut tree part poking past the right corner, and without the leaves on the left poking into the left corner. does it look better in your mind? this can be overcome by more careful framing.

composition is far more important than effects.

I learnt a lot from your last statement.
Bernard

IMHO, this tree doesn't make a good subject... it looks kinda weird with a botak top and leaves springing out from the trunk. Unless its your intention to portray this "uniqueness" in the tree, if not, perhaps you could be more discerning on choice of subject.

I also agree with the remarks from some of the other critics regarding framing and distractions within the pic.

The exposed part of a tree on the top left and right corners are kinda distracting. Perhaps a tigher frame would remove them from view.
Would prefer the image to be brighter, looks a little underexposed now, think it would be a good idea to get more detail out of the sky. Dun be discouraged, shoot more and improve :)

Last edited:
Kill the trees at the right and left, interesting composition I can see slight symmetry. The color looks weird for me though with the grey tone in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.