Sentence of death not to be passed on pregnant woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think (3) is the part you are all arguing about. Let me see if I understand this correctly:

(3) If the woman is found not to be pregnant, she may appeal under the Supreme Court of Judicature Act to the Court of Criminal Appeal against such finding, and that Court, if satisfied that for any reason the finding should be set aside, shall quash the sentence passed on her, and instead of it pass on her a sentence of imprisonment for life. "

What (3) says is that if the court finds the woman not pregnant, then she can appeal and if the appeal court finds that, indeed, the woman is actually pregnant (meaning the original finding that she is not pregnant "should be set aside"), then her sentence is converted to life imprisonment, which is the same as if she was confirmed pregnant the first time.
Nothing wrong with that, unless I understood it wrongly.

More::

"Execution of sentence of caning in certain cases forbidden.
231. No sentence of caning shall be executed by instalments and none of the following persons shall be punishable with caning:

(a) women;

(b) males sentenced to death;

(c) males whom the court considers to be more than 50 years of age. "

Because you seldom find victims of rape and modesty outrage that are men... hahaha... usually the vice-versa is true... :bsmilie:

those with 24 strokes all cane at once, sure hiong:bigeyes:
Previous record holder - Bedok robber rapist of the 90s: 24 strokes
Current record holder - Recent case of Man who enticed and raped 4 women: 25 strokes

I stand to be corrected on the abovementioned figures. :bsmilie:

A mother guilty of capital offence is not fit to bring up a child. Period.

Some will change and some will not. So shall we take the chance.

Yappy & happy

DP: So... life imprisonment then?

From an economic perspective, what a waste of resources. Unless the person in life imprisonment is somehow contributing back to the cost of upkeeping him in prison... Should the state and the rest of the country bear the burden of providing for someone that has done nothing but harm to society as a whole?

What is your opinion on this?

This is about the worse excuse in support of capital punishment.

Using cost/economical justification to kill someone? Where are you going to stop? Execution is inevitably cheaper then keeping someone in jail. So, where do we stop?

You actually fail to comprehend my original statement.

I am not going to start a debate the ethics and morality of capital punishment, nor the merits of capital punishment as a deterrence. I found the ease of the local population to embrace the killing of someone because the court says it's ok to do so, very disturbing.

this thread kinda open end in context

the debate will nv end till a new bill is passed for this issue

AFter baby born, mother hanged, it's very poor thing for the baby without mummy ok??

Not about if the mummy is capable of taking care of the baby but baby born without mummy is a totally different world...

you never know the experience of no mummy...

AFter baby born, mother hanged, it's very poor thing for the baby without mummy ok??

Not about if the mummy is capable of taking care of the baby but baby born without mummy is a totally different world...

then the mum should know nv to commit the crime in the first place.

then the mum should know nv to commit the crime in the first place.

that's like saying all criminals shouldn't have committed crimes in the first place. :bigeyes:

that's like saying all criminals shouldn't have committed crimes in the first place. :bigeyes:

its self control

capital punishment: one serious issue with it is that you never know 100% that the person convicted actually did the thing. In the US they found a significant number of inmates sitting on deathrow to be either innocent or not deserving a death sentence....

sentence someone to life and later find out it was wrong is one thing, killing someone and later find out it was wrong cannot be corrected.

capital punishment: one serious issue with it is that you never know 100% that the person convicted actually did the thing. In the US they found a significant number of inmates sitting on deathrow to be either innocent or not deserving a death sentence....

sentence someone to life and later find out it was wrong is one thing, killing someone and later find out it was wrong cannot be corrected.

If sentence a person jailed X years, after found out it was wrong, X years also passed, no amount of $ can buy back time too

I agree it could be because of this reason...

they prolly feel that after being a mummy, she will turn into a new leaf. thou it's life sentence, there may be a chance where she will be released and take over the duties as a parent.

i guess it all depends on the offence that one made... ;)

What if the situation arise where a pregnant woman is forced to, or unknowingly, bring some drugs (say by drug dealers having her family, or possibly other children in custody), through Singapore, and is caught?

It's all not quite so simple, without knowing the circumstances.

It used to be that a life sentence was only 21 years and with 1/3 off for good behaviour, one only needs to spend 14 years in prison.

Now, a life sentence is you are imprisoned for the rest of your natural life... but I'm not sure that this applies to women. Anyone can clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.