Sentence of death not to be passed on pregnant woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspere

Jul 27, 2003
East Side
gallery.clubsnap.com
Just read from the SG Criminal Procedure Codes

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...&sl=1&segid=888206402-001893#888206403-003310

"Sentence of death not to be passed on pregnant woman.
214. —(1) Where a woman convicted of an offence punishable with death alleges that she is pregnant, or where the court before whom a woman is so convicted thinks fit, the question whether or not the woman is pregnant shall, before sentence is passed on her, be determined by the court.

(2) If the woman is found to be pregnant, a sentence of imprisonment for life shall be passed on her.

(3) If the woman is found not to be pregnant, she may appeal under the Supreme Court of Judicature Act to the Court of Criminal Appeal against such finding, and that Court, if satisfied that for any reason the finding should be set aside, shall quash the sentence passed on her, and instead of it pass on her a sentence of imprisonment for life. "

Interesting yes?

Just read from the SG Criminal Procedure Codes

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...&sl=1&segid=888206402-001893#888206403-003310

"Sentence of death not to be passed on pregnant woman.
214. —(1) Where a woman convicted of an offence punishable with death alleges that she is pregnant, or where the court before whom a woman is so convicted thinks fit, the question whether or not the woman is pregnant shall, before sentence is passed on her, be determined by the court.

(2) If the woman is found to be pregnant, a sentence of imprisonment for life shall be passed on her.

(3) If the woman is found not to be pregnant, she may appeal under the Supreme Court of Judicature Act to the Court of Criminal Appeal against such finding, and that Court, if satisfied that for any reason the finding should be set aside, shall quash the sentence passed on her, and instead of it pass on her a sentence of imprisonment for life. "

Interesting yes?

yes, it is a known part of the law. The sentence is on the person who commit the offence, not the baby inside. Cannot take 2 lives as one of them is innocent.

More::

"Execution of sentence of caning in certain cases forbidden.
231. No sentence of caning shall be executed by instalments and none of the following persons shall be punishable with caning:

(a) women;

(b) males sentenced to death;

(c) males whom the court considers to be more than 50 years of age. "

More::

"Execution of sentence of caning in certain cases forbidden.
231. No sentence of caning shall be executed by instalments and none of the following persons shall be punishable with caning:

(a) women;

(b) males sentenced to death;

(c) males whom the court considers to be more than 50 years of age. "

those with 24 strokes all cane at once, sure hiong:bigeyes:

So why not let the baby be born then sentance the mother to death?

Seems like too easy a way for people to worm their way out of a death sentance. I am going to smuggle 100000kg of drugs. Ok. Wait. Let me get pregnant first. So even if I am caught, I ain't gonna hang.

Caspere & Yatlapball: I really do not see the point you're making here. Are you merely jealous & sore because you can't get pregnant and that women have the chance of getting "the easy way" out?

So why not let the baby be born then sentance the mother to death?

Seems like too easy a way for people to worm their way out of a death sentance. I am going to smuggle 100000kg of drugs. Ok. Wait. Let me get pregnant first. So even if I am caught, I ain't gonna hang.

i agree, death should be after the baby is born

i agree, death should be after the baby is born
I found the the casual attitude towards capital punishment in Singapore a very sad state of affair.

Caspere & Yatlapball: I really do not see the point you're making here. Are you merely jealous & sore because you can't get pregnant and that women have the chance of getting "the easy way" out?

No. I am not jealous. I am pro-female rights. But I find the way the law is crafted a little biased?

I am not slamming women. I am slamming the law. Should gender make a difference in the eyes of the law? Is a female murderer any better than a male murderer?

The innocent child yes, I agree. That is why I asked "Why not after giving birth?"

DP: So... life imprisonment then?

From an economic perspective, what a waste of resources. Unless the person in life imprisonment is somehow contributing back to the cost of upkeeping him in prison... Should the state and the rest of the country bear the burden of providing for someone that has done nothing but harm to society as a whole?

What is your opinion on this?

I found the the casual attitude towards capital punishment in Singapore a very sad state of affair.

I totally agree with you.

Yatlapball: The law only provides provisions for pregnant women. If the accused woman is not pregnant, she can be sentenced to death. A female trafficker/murderer can be sentenced to death, provided she is not with child.

Yes I know that. I don't have a problem with comprehending what is written in the law.

I am asking *why* should a pregnant accused be let off purely on the basis that the accused is pregnant? Why not delay the sentance?

Aiyo. I do not have an agenda; I was reading on "Double Jeopardy" in Singapore context when I came across this. I thought it is interesting. Actually I thought the lifetime imprisonment is more cruel than death, but some people may beg to differ.

I sort of agree. Why are we so eager to give up on life, or liberty for that matter. Both Life & Liberty should be the most important things for us as humans (the ideals that distingush us from animals) to uphold, irregardless if one made a mistake or not. Again, some people may beg to differ.

not related. Period. :sticktong

Why not? (ok this is a little OT going into parenting)

If one does not possess good moral values, how can one bring up a child to be morally upright as well?

(assuming non-inteference of other sources of upbrining and education)

Status
Not open for further replies.