sensor swab questions

NewbieInCS

Jun 11, 2009
Singapore
Hi, attempted my first wet sensor cleaning today. Left two tiny "water stain" on the sensor, but they don't affect pictures even at f32 which I will never use. Will it cause any future problem if I just leave it as it is? Don't want to fix it if it ain't broke.

Secondly, I am using the pec-ped on the swab due to budget constraint, as recommended by the copper hill method. Is anyone doing the same thing? How do you fold the pec-ped and secure onto the swab stick? I find that even if I split one piece of pec-ped into two, it is still quite a bit too fat. Do you trim it or...how do you really handle it? I am afraid of touching the pec-pad...

What cleaning solution did u use? Normally the cleaning solution will dry up after some time, so it shouldnt be a concern. If there are still stains, you can try cleaning it again.

NewbieInCS please dont use the pec-pad it does leave unwanted "stains" behind. No matter how many time you go thur it will be there(either here then next time you do it there).

I have gone thru that and sensor swab never recommed using that method. I do use a loupe for magnification to make sure I do it properly.

This will not be the case if you use the proper swab as the material used is DIFFERENT.

side question - do you guys think prevention is better than cure that is dont get dust on the sensor in the first place?

side question - do you guys think prevention is better than cure that is dont get dust on the sensor in the first place?

Bro, think thats pretty tough and inevitable when u r outfield though rule of thumb is to adopt gd practice of lens changing indoors whenever possible..

For me, i rather have dust in my sensor than to ruin 1 gd shot without the right lens, but that's just me :)

Dust will inevitably enter the camera..prevention can only minimise the amount of dust..at the end of the day, you will have to clean it when the blowing method fails....

Hi, attempted my first wet sensor cleaning today. Left two tiny "water stain" on the sensor, but they don't affect pictures even at f32 which I will never use. Will it cause any future problem if I just leave it as it is? Don't want to fix it if it ain't broke.

Secondly, I am using the pec-ped on the swab due to budget constraint, as recommended by the copper hill method. Is anyone doing the same thing? How do you fold the pec-ped and secure onto the swab stick? I find that even if I split one piece of pec-ped into two, it is still quite a bit too fat. Do you trim it or...how do you really handle it? I am afraid of touching the pec-pad...

keep the original rubber bands.

stop treating your sensor like a piece of tofu.

just make sure the spatula is covered, that is more important. when you cut the pec pads take note of which side you are handling more, eventually when it's on the spatula make sure that area does not go to the part which is used to clean the sensor, because of skin oils, etc.

everything else, you can blow away with a blower before adding eclipse.

people will tell you oh, pec pads no good, oh, must pamper your sensor with sensor swabs, you are paying good money, blah blah blah.

i don't even use pec pads anymore, i use good quality cotton buds. yes, the kind that people use to clean their ears, i find surgical quality ones from pharmacies, and do it the same way. if you do it from left to right, you will not get stains - that only happens when you go to and fro.

3 years on, i have sold 2 dslr cameras cleaned that way more than 20 times each. none of the owners have ever came running back to me to complain about anything. i also help people clean their sensors, no problem. :thumbsup:

keep the original rubber bands.

stop treating your sensor like a piece of tofu.

just make sure the spatula is covered, that is more important. when you cut the pec pads take note of which side you are handling more, eventually when it's on the spatula make sure that area does not go to the part which is used to clean the sensor, because of skin oils, etc.

everything else, you can blow away with a blower before adding eclipse.

people will tell you oh, pec pads no good, oh, must pamper your sensor with sensor swabs, you are paying good money, blah blah blah.

i don't even use pec pads anymore, i use good quality cotton buds. yes, the kind that people use to clean their ears, i find surgical quality ones from pharmacies, and do it the same way. if you do it from left to right, you will not get stains - that only happens when you go to and fro.

3 years on, i have sold 2 dslr cameras cleaned that way more than 20 times each. none of the owners have ever came running back to me to complain about anything. i also help people clean their sensors, no problem. :thumbsup:

I wonder whether cotton bud will leave behind some fibre. Since you have been doing this, I would like to try it too. What cleaning solution you use?

I wonder whether cotton bud will leave behind some fibre. Since you have been doing this, I would like to try it too. What cleaning solution you use?

use higher quality ones.

watson's all that, try to avoid.

eclipse/eclipse 2.

and before you add eclipse, give the cotton bud tip a good blowing over.

For aerospace electronics usage, we actually use Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) safe, lint free and non-abrasive precision swabs. These can be rather difficult to be located in the public though. :)