Sensor or Lense??

Status
Not open for further replies.

saberite

Dec 3, 2003
ansonsphotos.fotopic.net
hi all...
as a Canon dslr user....i'm interested to know...
i've read lenses quality is of paramount importance concerning picture sharpness and clarity.
does the CMOS sensor used in different Canon models (1D, 10D, 300D) affects the picture quality?
does the sensors of Canon differ from the sensors of Nikon n others?

Hope the experts can enlighten me

saberite said:
hi all...
i've read lenses quality is of paramount importance concerning picture sharpness and clarity.
does the CMOS sensor used in different Canon models (1D, 10D, 300D) affects the picture quality?

hi, errm, well, the CMOS sensor has an effect on teh picture quality, but only when blown up to super size, if its 4R size photos then difference cannot see. Lens quality is more important because the optics are the ones that give the photo its high quality (or low!) THis is why canon have their L series lens that everyone really wants. Take me for example........

Cheers! Hope this helps!

To me, sensor is more important in DSLR.

If its film, quality is almost thereabout, except to compare grain and color saturation.

But in DSLR, the image is produced by the semsor, so to speak. Of course in both cases, the lens play a part, but in digital, the sensor play a bigger role.

Thats why I prefer CCD, although I am using a 10D.

Pro-New said:
To me, sensor is more important in DSLR.

If its film, quality is almost thereabout, except to compare grain and color saturation.

But in DSLR, the image is produced by the semsor, so to speak. Of course in both cases, the lens play a part, but in digital, the sensor play a bigger role.

Thats why I prefer CCD, although I am using a 10D.
how different is it with cmos and ccd sensors? the only thing i know is that cmos does the same job just with less power... any differences?

nickmak said:
how different is it with cmos and ccd sensors? the only thing i know is that cmos does the same job just with less power... any differences?

I think CMOS picture quality is softer than CCD......

If you see the final print as the end of an entire chain of imaging process, you'd understand that each part of the equation affects the image, albeit differently. It's like asking a racing car enthusiast which is more important - the engine or everything else (eg. chassis, transmission, suspension setup or turbocharger etc). In your case, you've listed two very important components in the imaging process - the sensor and lens. You might want to add in the image processing engine, which determines how the the camera processes the data that reaches the sensor.

Lens, sensor and engine - these 3 components affects the images the most, in the order listed. A lousy lens means a sharp image can never reach the sensor, and a lousy sensor can never resolve the sharp image that a first class lens deliver. And of course, a image engine with poor algorithm will screw up the best data from the finest sensor and lenses in front. Any compromise in any of the 3 components will result in a less than ideal image.

saberite said:
hi all...

with sufficient light for correct exposures, the cmos/ccd doesn't make much of a difference. but the lens always does - remember the image is formed by the lens onto the sensor by the optical elements and nothing else.

Neo said:
If you see the final print as the end of an entire chain of imaging process, you'd understand that each part of the equation affects the image, albeit differently. It's like asking a racing car enthusiast which is more important - the engine or everything else (eg. chassis, transmission, suspension setup or turbocharger etc). In your case, you've listed two very important components in the imaging process - the sensor and lens. You might want to add in the image processing engine, which determines how the the camera processes the data that reaches the sensor.

Lens, sensor and engine - these 3 components affects the images the most, in the order listed. A lousy lens means a sharp image can never reach the sensor, and a lousy sensor can never resolve the sharp image that a first class lens deliver. And of course, a image engine with poor algorithm will screw up the best data from the finest sensor and lenses in front. Any compromise in any of the 3 components will result in a less than ideal image.

I agree with Neo. Its a good explaination.

saberite said:
I think CMOS picture quality is softer than CCD......

May I know what factors/reasons made you come to this conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.