Sensor fungus cleaning recommendations

Mark Chia

Mar 29, 2016
Anyone know what the cost would be like to clean fungus off the sensor these days? I believe its underneath the glass since the sensor swab I tried didn't do anything.

Any places to recommend or should I just go Sony service center?

Anyone know what the cost would be like to clean fungus off the sensor these days? I believe its underneath the glass since the sensor swab I tried didn't do anything.

Any places to recommend or should I just go Sony service center?

It is unfortunate the fungus is underneath the glass filter ( more than one but usually the removable one ) so it's best to send to Sony service center. They might choose to replace the image sensor than disassemble it to save time and reduce collateral damage in the process. Other places want to earn easy money and would not accept such job because it is a lot of work removing and keeping track which screw goes where and other parts.

This video is for education and entertainment purpose. Do not try it on your own. I have opened up camera not Sony and it can be mind boggling trying to organise the disassembly process if it's your first time. Basically you need a system . I draw an outline of the camera front and back on paper and use paper tape like double sided tape in U shape in corresponding areas where the screws are removed and stick on tape so it will not roll off or go missing.Best to lay camera on a piece of cloth which help screws from rolling off on a table and have good lighting too to see clearly. Plus the delicate flex cable which you might break if you are careless. So once again I repeat do not try unless you don't mind scraping or junking a camera. I experimented on a faulty camera body.

Skip to about 18min. if you want to see the image sensor assembly. Disregard the part about infra red glass replacement as the purpose is to show the image sensor. Plenty of videos cleaning external but not internal parts which is hell.

Last edited:
actually you kinda answered your own question... :p

How so? I was asking if anyone knows the cost since they never say until you hand it over for evaluation