Sensor for camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
This topic had being discussed before...

Any new development?

We have heard of shutter count? How about sensor?

How long will a sensor last? After... ???? of shutter count?

Where's the topic been discussed? Can show me the threads? :D

Also interested to know this, coz the manufacturer never discolsed anything about it. Personally think it's not necessary, coz to replace the sensor, it will cost just too much that u would rather buy a new body...

Where's the topic been discussed? Can show me the threads? :D

Also interested to know this, coz the manufacturer never discolsed anything about it. Personally think it's not necessary, coz to replace the sensor, it will cost just too much that u would rather buy a new body...

At least a year ago.

Maybe do a search!

Well, looking by trend, New models and replacements for cameras come once in every 2-3years. For E.g. Nikon D300 was introduced into the market 2 years after D200 came out.

So I guess the sensors are good enough to last for that amount of time?

But it's a good question for people eyeing for second hand cameras! I also want to know!

Anybody has any input? It will be good to know. It will help those looking for a 2nd hand camera.

Would the senor manufacturer like to comment?

Maybe just tell us the cost for replacing a sensor CCD or CMOS... for a DSLR and FF DSLR.

Any info on the sensor? When will the sensor stop working.. after xxx exposures?

Still looking for an answer to the shelf life of a sensor in a DSLR or any digital camera.....

Any articles....internet?

2 things...

1. Sensors, like many silicon objects, are not rated by "shutter count" so much as actual time used (exposure time). This translates to MTBF. And image sensors can last very very very long... Look at the early digital sensors placed on satellites that are exploring our solar system and beyond. They're still sending back pictures!!!

2. Have you tried a google search for "image sensor mtbf"? Lots of articles out there, including spec sheets. Most CCD and CMOS sensors have a MTBF rated at 10 years of exposure time. Astrophotography sensors (like in Hubble, etc) are rated at 100 years. Taking the normal CCD sensor spec sheet, you're looking at 324,000,000 1-second exposures. Believe me, you should be more worried about your shutter failing, the buttons failing, fungus, rain, a meteor strike, etc.

If you had even spent half the effort to search for the sensor manufacturer spec sheets (easy to find online) as you did posting here, you'd have had your answer a long time ago.

If you had even spent half the effort to search for the sensor manufacturer spec sheets (easy to find online) as you did posting here, you'd have had your answer a long time ago.

Rashkae,

Thank you for the info. I had keyed in the wrong word to search. I will do as advised.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.