sensor cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacknet

Mar 20, 2007
hey guys..

i've got a couple specs of dust on my sensor that become pretty prominant when i shoot at high Fstops.

is there any thing i can buy to clean my sensor? ive tried microfiber cloth but its alittle hit and miss. any product out there that can make my life alittle simpler?

thanks!

hey guys..

i've got a couple specs of dust on my sensor that become pretty prominant when i shoot at high Fstops.

is there any thing i can buy to clean my sensor? ive tried microfiber cloth but its alittle hit and miss. any product out there that can make my life alittle simpler?

thanks!
Hand air blower. Gizotto brand I've got it from CP.

Uh, do you touch your sensor :sweat: :thumbsup: ?

Regards,
Arto.

hey guys..

thanks!

Do not use microfiber cloth to clean the sensor. U may want to try a blower first and if it still doesn't help, bring it to the service centre to get it done professionally. That's your best bet.

Agree with Snoweagle

it won't cost you much so don't worry about the fees

i tried cleaning with a microfiber but it seems to do more harm than good..

im going on holiday next week. how long do i have to leave it at the service center?

thanks!

If they aren't too busy, they should be able to do it on the spot for you.

i tried cleaning with a microfiber but it seems to do more harm than good..

im going on holiday next week. how long do i have to leave it at the service center?

thanks!

I think u might have scratched the sensor using microfiber cloth as the surface of the sensor is extremely sensitive and fragile. If cleaning only, takes around a day at the most. But if u've to replace the sensor (if scratched), will have to leave it there for a few days at least and will cost a lot to replace. Then u might as well get a new one if your DSLR is not costly.

looks tricky, i think im despertate enough to bring it back to nikon!

it not that scarey and the sensor is tougher than u think...ask satay16 how he clean his sensor:bsmilie:

its actually the IR filter right? i remember there is something that can be removed to shoot IR.. i dont know. last thing i want to do is damage something!

I think u might have scratched the sensor using microfiber cloth as the surface of the sensor is extremely sensitive and fragile. If cleaning only, takes around a day at the most. But if u've to replace the sensor (if scratched), will have to leave it there for a few days at least and will cost a lot to replace. Then u might as well get a new one if your DSLR is not costly.

Not really.

You can't scratch the sensor per se, only the IR hot pass filter over it. And even then his microfiber cloth needs to suay suay have some piece of dirt which he drags over the sensor at that time. Not that hard to happen, but the filter is a lot harder to damage than you think. If people can use sticky tape to clean their sensor then er, it says a lot doesn't it?

...Do you even know what you're talking about instead of scaring people? The hot pass filter replacement is expensive, but not THAT expensive, in the region of $200 depending on your brand/model.

And by the way, I use high quality cotton buds to clean my sensor with fluid. Sensor swabs from VisibleDust are freakin' too expensive. And my sensor is FINE, thankyew.

Not really.

You can't scratch the sensor per se, only the IR hot pass filter over it. And even then his microfiber cloth needs to suay suay have some piece of dirt which he drags over the sensor at that time. Not that hard to happen, but the filter is a lot harder to damage than you think. If people can use sticky tape to clean their sensor then er, it says a lot doesn't it?

...Do you even know what you're talking about instead of scaring people? The hot pass filter replacement is expensive, but not THAT expensive, in the region of $200 depending on your brand/model.

And by the way, I use high quality cotton buds to clean my sensor with fluid. Sensor swabs from VisibleDust are freakin' too expensive. And my sensor is FINE, thankyew.

Well that's for u if u're satisfied with your way of doing but what i'm stating is to play safe. Sensor replacement IS rather expensive. By the way when i state will cost 'a lot' doesn't mean until over $1K for the general user. A few hundred is considered CHEAP for sensor replacement including service charges.

Well that's for u if u're satisfied with your way of doing but what i'm stating is to play safe. Sensor replacement IS rather expensive.

Yes, but unless you are using a screw driver to hammer your CCD area, you will not need to replace your sensor.. Don't gabra la, it's the filter over the sensor that you replace if you scratch it, not the sensor! Spoiling the sensor is pretty serious, you would need to monkey around pretty badly!

Yes, but unless you are using a screw driver to hammer your CCD area, you will not need to replace your sensor.. Don't gabra la, it's the filter over the sensor that you replace if you scratch it, not the sensor! Spoiling the sensor is pretty serious, you would need to monkey around pretty badly!

Alamak..u still dun get what i mean. I said SENSOR REPLACEMENT and not the filter on it.

Alamak..u still dun get what i mean. I said SENSOR REPLACEMENT and not the filter on it.

Why would he need to replace his sensor because of a microfiber cloth?

If you could explain, I will try to understand. :dunno:

Heya mate, try using the blower first. If the dust is still there, you can get some swabs (pretty pricey) or you can make your own swabs. If you got butterfingers or simply clumsy, send it Canon service centre. Takes about an hour and costs about $21.

If you got balls and some guts, read these articles for DIY sensor cleaning:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=273842
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html
http://clubsnap.com/display.php?file=articles/CCDCleaning/CCDCleaning.html

Why would he need to replace his sensor because of a microfiber cloth?

If you could explain, I will try to understand. :dunno:

Though a microfiber cloth is lint-free and a lot softer n finer than regular cloths, i still wouldn't use it for sensors and even lens elements. I'd only use it on my filter.

If u read TS's post #1, he says 'a little hit n miss' and in #5 he said 'seems to do more harm than gd'. So obviously he has a little trouble cleaning the sensor with the microfiber cloth.

So y all the hassles? Just bring it to the service center to get to checked, simple as that.

Gawd,

This is driving me nuts. Do you know what a sensor is versus the filter over it?

Why do you keep insisting that it is a sensor when it is the filter he has to replace (if he has to replace it at all)? Totally two different things.

To Hacknet

You may wish to consider sending to NSC to clean, I don't know whether they might charge you for it or not. Or you may still opt for the DIY route, which is relatively safe. If I can find myself some time, I'll add some images of how cleaning can be done to a D200 or a D70 sensor (or whatever semantics the arguments wish to go by).
I use a S5 Pro (and S3/S2 Pro previously), and I have seen a crazy CSer scratch his S3 Pro sensor. Confirmed by both Fujifilm and Camera Hospital where he sent for a check. That said, it takes a lot of silliness and extreme cleaning to get to the scratch point.

One thing you can surely do is to ignore the typical arguments that have arisen in this thread... over semantics and technicals. They serve no use to you unless you are one who chooses to pursue technicalities.

All the best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.