sensor cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gawd,

This is driving me nuts. Do you know what a sensor is versus the filter over it?

Why do you keep insisting that it is a sensor when it is the filter he has to replace (if he has to replace it at all)? Totally two different things.

How sure can u be?? I just dun understand u. Y not ask TS to send it for checking first?? FYI the filter protecting the sensor is not as hardy as u think. :rolleyes:

In post #8 i also stated 'if scratched'. I didn't say his sensor is confirmed damaged. Dun understand y u're leading things one to another.

I'm not going to bother replying to this thread any longer for the very reason that people just don't catch the ball. It's probably bouncing in the East India Sea by now or something. It isn't about semnatics by the way, semnatics is quibbling over the name of something, e.g. you call a male goose a gander, and you argue with another person who insists that it should be called a male goose.

This, effectively is like calling the bread wrapper over your Sunshine bread bread. It is not the same thing, and it's all about accuracy with regards to informing others. You can't possibly eat your bread wrapper, can you? So a sensor replacement is VERY MUCH different from a sensor filter replacement, and I hope that anyone who reads this gets the bloody idea, thankyew very much.

I quote Copper Hill Images by the way: link here

...the lithium niobate anti-aliasing filter has a glass-hardness rating of 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Most websites out there list Lithium Niobate as having a Mohs Hardness Rating of 5. I quote this website with regards to various material hardness:

2.5 - Fingernail
2.5–3 - Gold, Silver
3 - Copper penny
4-4.5 - Platinum
4-5 Iron
5.5 Knife blade
6-7 Glass
6.5 Iron pyrite
7+ Hardened steel file

No, it isn't the Rambo of hard materials, but it isn't the Barbie either.

Out of here, if one person gets it then it's one person enough for me. I am not endorsing messing around with your sensor if you don't know what you are doing, but cleaning the sensor yourself is easily possible if you do the proper reading up and you are confident enough to do it, and well, scratching your sensor requires a huge amount of monkeying and ignorance before you end up in that situation.

Cheers!

Chill guys. no right or wrong answers. If you choose to DIY den you will have to take the risk. else let CSC take the risk. No matter how safe, there is still a risk.

only $21 for cleaning. Just about an hour to get the job done at CSC. Go there drink coffee (not cheapo coffee ok) read some mag den it done. Going for my 2nd visit today or tomorow. I only send in when I cant blow the dust off the "sensor" or "anti-aliasing filter".

Chill guys. no right or wrong answers. If you choose to DIY den you will have to take the risk. else let CSC take the risk. No matter how safe, there is still a risk.

only $21 for cleaning. Just about an hour to get the job done at CSC. Go there drink coffee (not cheapo coffee ok) read some mag den it done. Going for my 2nd visit today or tomorow. I only send in when I cant blow the dust off the "sensor" or "anti-aliasing filter".

Same sentiments. Previously i also have stubborn dusts spots on my sensor which i cannot get off no matter how much i tried blowing into it with the blower. But since i sent my DSLR for shutter change, cleaning is free.

i believe in blowing. cannot blow dont want to risk my sensor, best send to nikon.
after all nxt time sell my gear second hand also will feel as a responsible seller.

my prev specs made of nikon 1.74 plastic, scratch resistant.. use microfibre cloth eventually after a few months very fine tiny scratches.

dont know lah.

just dont like this can liao.
Heck, I know a photographer who completely destroyed her brand new D2X by attempting to clean her sensor herself and left a tiny, and therefore fatal, scratch on her sensor.
- from ken rockwell (need a pinch of salt no?)

I had a similar problem just a few days ago with my Nikon as a speck of dust found its way into the CCD sensor and my pictures, and was contemplating whether to clean it myself or send it in for cleaning. In the end, decided to let the guys at Nikon do it and I'm very happy with the result. Paid $26.25 including GST and everything was done within 30 minutes. From what I understand, it might even be free if your warranty is still valid.

Be careful, IIRC, as the AA (Anti Aliasing) filter on sensor is etched with some micro layer that easily damage by un-proper handling/tool. It is not clean glossy like uv or nc filter for front of the lens.

Regards,
Arto.

Here are couple of tips.

- its the hot pass filter that you will be cleaning and not the sensor which is below it
- learn to clean yourself in case you are stuck out there and can't reach NSC
- no amount of blowing will help as the dirt speck sticks
- all it requires is a cotton bud wrapped around at one end with a lint free wipe and cleaning solution
- shoot towards clear sky to find exact location of specks
- do single passes with last swipe soaking up an residual liquid
- after 2 such cleaning experiences you will ask yourself why you wasted your time listening to the inexperienced

Unless you use lint free wipes that carry dirt or grime, there is no way to scratch it. There are also commercally available wipes in kit form out there.

Finally it will take someone with a screwdriver and a whole lot of determination to scratch the sensor.

ps. got stuck in a place overseas and had to do it. Wasted all that time and money going to NSC in the past having listened to the same bullshit

hey guys! thanks for the advice..
i've got 1 or 2 specs left but i think i will leave it as it is as it only comes up if i shoot at f22... i might get those lint free wipes sometime soon..

any recommendation which one to get?

thanks!

But some times wet cleaning cannot clean the stubborn specks, my friend's camera have some specks which can not be cleared by wet method.
Not sure you guys have any solution ?

it not that scarey and the sensor is tougher than u think...ask satay16 how he clean his sensor:bsmilie:

kindly refer to this page for more infomation about my CCD Cleaning experience.

Always try to use the Dry method to clean away dust... u can try Visible Dust Sensor Brush... (u can buy from CP) i have tried, it very very effective... but can be a little expensive... but is a lot safer than the Wet method.

if Dry method can't work, then you got some organic dust stucked on the lowpass filter that need a little more work... try using the wet method... using sensor cleaning swab & sensor cleaning liquid... but i suggest newbies to bring back their dlsr to service centre for cleaning will b a lot safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.