Sensor Cleaning Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

koayst

Dec 29, 2006
Tried to clean my camera's sensor using Photosol's Sensor Swab.

It seemed that I am moving the dust bunnies around.

Also tried Lenspen's SensorKlear. Some improvement but I cannot TOTALLY clean it.

- Anybody has any good experience to share?

And also I tried to view it under a 8x manifying glass and I can't see any dust. Yet when I took a pic of the "white" sky and Auto-level using photoshop, dust is ever present.

- What is the best way to "see" dust on the sensor?

Sorry can't advise you on sensor cleaning, but there's some kind of sensor scope to visually inspect I tink.

I suspect you will not be able to actually see dust specks at any mag lesser than 20-30 times. Super small specks probably need up to 50x. And a LOT of light.

Tried to clean my camera's sensor using Photosol's Sensor Swab.

It seemed that I am moving the dust bunnies around.

Also tried Lenspen's SensorKlear. Some improvement but I cannot TOTALLY clean it.

- Anybody has any good experience to share?

And also I tried to view it under a 8x manifying glass and I can't see any dust. Yet when I took a pic of the "white" sky and Auto-level using photoshop, dust is ever present.

- What is the best way to "see" dust on the sensor?

I'm currently having this problem when i take pics of blue skies at f/22, i see quite a number of sensor dusts on it but f/16 and below it doesn't show.

The best solution for u is to bring it down to the service centre and pay n small fee for profesional cleaning rather than taking the risk of self-cleaning which could result in costly damages.

I'm currently having this problem when i take pics of blue skies at f/22, i see quite a number of sensor dusts on it but f/16 and below it doesn't show.

The best solution for u is to bring it down to the service centre and pay n small fee for profesional cleaning rather than taking the risk of self-cleaning which could result in costly damages.

note even service centre may not do a perfect job.
Do check on the spot after getting back your camera

How do you check "on the spot"?

Also another question to all of you out there. How small the aperture should be in order to stop cleaning?

For example, someone over here mentioned that F16 is OK but not at F22. If I don't see anymore dust at F22, should I stop or I should go futher?

i don't think u need to worry bout the dust at F22
unless u need that kind of small aperature(eg. startrails...)

I always check when i get back my cam. Last time at f/22 also no dust spots but now have. Guess for me i've to send it back for cleaning sometime later again.

It's ok with little dust. It can't be totally dust free or if it's totally dust free, it won't last a week unless you don't change your lens at all (but still might have some from the lens sucking effect). Best solution.....just PP it off. I've long given up in search of a way to totally clean dust off the CCD.......

What about those cameras with dust reduction system - does it significantly reduce the dust and hence less cleaning ?

What about those cameras with dust reduction system - does it significantly reduce the dust and hence less cleaning ?

Some are effective, some are not.

BC

Also another question to all of you out there. How small the aperture should be in order to stop cleaning?

For example, someone over here mentioned that F16 is OK but not at F22. If I don't see anymore dust at F22, should I stop or I should go futher?

I just sent in my 30D for cleaning today,i took a before shot with settings 1/60,F22 with flash against a wall at the service centre.After an hour ( pretty fast ) ,got my camera back and did the same test again.I was pretty impressed,from maybe 30 dust spots to 1 or 2 noticeable ones.Hope that answers your question.

just take a shot at a white wall or paper then zoom in from your camera LCD to check

It's ok with little dust. It can't be totally dust free or if it's totally dust free, it won't last a week unless you don't change your lens at all (but still might have some from the lens sucking effect). Best solution.....just PP it off. I've long given up in search of a way to totally clean dust off the CCD.......

Agree cos there's no such thing as totally dust free, even in clean rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.