Sensor Cleaning, Copper Hill method

human1969

Jan 11, 2010
Hello,

Previously, I have always used the Copper Hill methods using the PecPad,
Using the PecPad is always a hassle as its more challenging to navigate the crowded mirror box.
Now i notice they have a QuikStrips options.
(there's even a MO in CS recently, pity i missed it :eek:)

Anyone know beside Copper Hill,
is there other equivalent that is similar to the QuikStrips and is available locally in SG ?
At the CopperHill web, QuilStrip is available only as a Kit, and not individually.
(i already have all the other tools/cleanser)

I was thinking to cut the PecPad into smaller strips carefully in a CleanRoom ,
not sure its workable as i believe it may introduce particle.
Anyone have experience on this?

Also,
For the F22 shot,
does everyone deem the sensor as 'Clean' as long as the out-of-the-camera image is spotless,
or you guys also perform a mandatory Level/Curve in PS to make sure it is Perfect ?

Thanks for Sharing ;)

Not worth the price, as the shipping charges cost more than the refill packs.

What I did is cut the square pecpads into smaller squares and wrap around the sensor spatula, secured with tape. No need cut into thin strips, as I find the precut quickstrips unable to fully cover both ends, this might scratch the sensor edges if cleaning pressure applied on the sensor is not squarely on the spatula blade edge.

No need precut first in clean room, cut them before use, reduces the chance of dust contamination. And usually I perform the cutting and cleaning operation in air conditioning room, away from any moving air caused by fans or aircon blower.

Depending on how picky you are, but it is difficult to get the sensor 100% clean, as you keep swiping, you might introduce more dust into it. So if the center area is spotlessly clean, I am more tolerant for dusts still at the edges ( the images are more likely to get cropped in post anyway ).

In LR5, there's a new feature to detect dust ( Develop module, spot removal, Visualise Spots ), compared to the outdated clunky levels or hill-and-valley S-curve in PS

Last edited:
Not worth the price, as the shipping charges cost more than the refill packs.

What I did is cut the square pecpads into smaller squares and wrap around the sensor spatula, secured with tape. No need cut into thin strips, as I find the precut quickstrips unable to fully cover both ends, this might scratch the sensor edges if cleaning pressure applied on the sensor is not squarely on the spatula blade edge.

No need precut first in clean room, cut them before use, reduces the chance of dust contamination. And usually I perform the cutting and cleaning operation in air conditioning room, away from any moving air caused by fans or aircon blower.

Depending on how picky you are, but it is difficult to get the sensor 100% clean, as you keep swiping, you might introduce more dust into it. So if the center area is spotlessly clean, I am more tolerant for dusts still at the edges ( the images are more likely to get cropped in post anyway ).

In LR5, there's a new feature to detect dust ( Develop module, spot removal, Visualise Spots ), compared to the outdated clunky levels or hill-and-valley S-curve in PS

Thanks, yes totally agreed the price is rather steep.

Between,
I manage to cut the Pecpads, here's my method in case anyone is interested.

1. Stacked around 10pcs Pecpads together. (any thicker very difficult to cut)
2. From the left edge, cut off around 30mm. Repeat for the right edge. (my swab width is ard 15mm)
(You will have 20pcs of strips each 30mm x 4inch)
3. Discard the top and bottom pcs, so left with 16pcs.
4. Fold each strip into half (15mm x 4inch),
Make sure the side that is manually cut will be facing the swab,
So that it will not have any contact with the sensor.

Cheers