Sensor burn due to long exposure

kohbro

Dec 30, 2011
Hi. Was just wondering. Will long exposure w/o filter, say 20secs landscape shot during the blue hour or 60secs city skyline shot at nite, cause any damage to the sensor?

I do that all the time, no problems there.

In fact, looking at the works posted by some members, I would think they do longer exposures than me, and take a lot more long exposure shots than me. I haven't heard anything yet.

Hi. Was just wondering. Will long exposure w/o filter, say 20secs landscape shot during the blue hour or 60secs city skyline shot at nite, cause any damage to the sensor?

Then my sensor would have died long ago

is there any different between with or without filter?

with filter, sensor will not be cooked?
without filter, sensor will be cooked?

Answer: No.

Do you see a warning about that in your manual? You know, the book that came with your camera?

you know...

it'd be funny to put that 20" exposure timing into Shutter Priority, or manual mode... or to even include Bulb Mode if that's the case.

i believe the sensor has some kind of light limiting or heat limiting technology to prevent cooking. if it bugs you so much, shoot film. every frame is a sensor.

TS you do know that when you shoot video with your camera, it uses the same sensor right?

When you start shooting past 20mins, you should start to worry. But many cameras have overheating protection nowadays.

The only time I burnt something was when I pointed a macro filter directly at the sun... Result was a damaged lens...

Other than that, no sensor damage from long exposure...

i think as long as you're not pointing the lens directly at the sun it should be fine :bsmilie:

Thanks all for the resounding no. I shall err 'expose' in peace! Cheers!

catchlights said:
is there any different between with or without filter?

with filter, sensor will not be cooked?
without filter, sensor will be cooked?

Assuming long exposure will damage the sensor, i wld suppose a 10stop filter would make a diff?

Assuming long exposure will damage the sensor, i wld suppose a 10stop filter would make a diff?

...and what would be the purpose of shooting 10 stops lower?

My goodness, why people always think cameras are made of tofu....

Gotta be kidding right? A 10 stop ND filter will reduce the amount of limit by 10 stops. Which means the the image with the filter will be 2^-10 times darker than the one without, keeping all other things constant.

The reason people use a 10 stop ND filter is so that the photographer can deliberately use a longer shutter speed than usual.

that i didnt know! another thing learnt. thanks for the info :cool:

Isn't that basic common sense? even without a lens that may magnify the sun, would you stare at the sun for too long?