Sensoklear VS Sensor cleaning brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nature88

Apr 20, 2009
Bishan
Hi all,

Need some advice from those who have DIY in sensor cleaning before. Just want to hear which one of the following item is better, Sensorklear pen or a Brush dedicated for sensor cleaning?

Dust was spotted in my pictures when I take sample pictures to test out the dust. I did try to use a normal blower and blow the sensor hard. But one or two stubborn dust still remain in there. I do have to say where I stay are pretty dusty as there are always construction going on around here. :sweat: Hence probably wet cleaning will attact more dust to the sensor itself as I wait for it to dry. So this two are the most affordable and efficient way generally.

Dont wish to bring it back to CSC as have read post about their service. Sometimes good sometime bad. Maybe its a hit or miss thing. Althought $20 for sensor cleaning is affordable and also there are warranty after the cleaning, but the time spend travelling is not worth it.

Have any people got experience using the either one of the two for sensor cleaning?

Btw Im using a 20D.

Thank in advance for viewing and replying.

I use Kinetronics Speck Grabber to remove the larger particles. Any kind of swab/brush could drag across and scratch the sensor (or rather, the filter covering the sensor).

After using the Speck Grabber, I use the SensorKlear to make it spotless. Quite stress-free.

I use Kinetronics Speck Grabber to remove the larger particles. Any kind of swab/brush could drag across and scratch the sensor (or rather, the filter covering the sensor).

After using the Speck Grabber, I use the SensorKlear to make it spotless. Quite stress-free.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the Sensorklear is safe on the CMOS of 20D as you have tried it before on your camera. Tomorrow noon try to wipe the CMOS low filter gently see if the dusts still clings onto the sensor. Because have a new set of the wipe head which was the second set given by Lens Pens when bought it as a set.

Was worried the Sensorklear might scratch the low pass filter. Never heard bout people using the Sensorklear to clean the sensor, only till I google it recently.

the sensorklear is touted to be used by canon techs, somewhere mentioned that.

btw, wet cleaning doesn't lead to dust attraction - whatever gave you that idea? turning on your camera sensor does, nothing else will. your sensor is deeply embedded in the camera cavity, it is not that easy for dust to just fly and stick to it unlike a wet window.

a brush is not a good idea usually. i used to use the artic butterfly, it never helped with welded dust (dust with moisture). ONLY wet cleaning will help with welded dust.

i have tried the speck grabber before. not even sure how you are supposed to use it, if you can't really see the dust there.

one point to note about sensorklear - the tip is similar to lenspen, so over time it will collect particles, etc and become less effective. i know someone who showed me that after a while of usage his sensorklear started leaving things on his sensor - meaning that he might have been dragging all the particles all over his sensor filter. not really a problem if it is nonabrasive, but if it is large and abrasive, and you didn't see it... :)

Last edited:
I haven't cleaned my camera for ages ever since I got the Mark II. My DIY brush is gone for a long time. I probably should give Sensorklear a try.

Yes, SensorKlear does have a limited lifespan. It differs from the regular Lenspen by not having any carbon in it. The carbon in the Lenspen is used to absorb fingerprint oil.

The SpeckGrabber tip is simply a tiny piece of silicone that gets statically charged to lift larger particles off the surface. You just hover the tip a milimetre above the offending particle to remove it. Takes some practice, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it.

One piece of equipment that I think is invaluable is a headmounted LED lamp. Keeps your hands free while providing the necessary illumination. Get from any hardware shop.

I do avoid swabs of any kind. From my experience wet cleaning does leaves streaks, no matter how careful you try to be. Might even make things worse.

Yes, SensorKlear does have a limited lifespan. It differs from the regular Lenspen by not having any carbon in it. The carbon in the Lenspen is used to absorb fingerprint oil.

The SpeckGrabber tip is simply a tiny piece of silicone that gets statically charged to lift larger particles off the surface. You just hover the tip a milimetre above the offending particle to remove it. Takes some practice, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it.

One piece of equipment that I think is invaluable is a headmounted LED lamp. Keeps your hands free while providing the necessary illumination. Get from any hardware shop.

I do avoid swabs of any kind. From my experience wet cleaning does leaves streaks, no matter how careful you try to be. Might even make things worse.

So that means I cant use the Lens Pen tip but have to get the Sensorklear pen? :think: Does the additional carbon have effect on the low pass filter of the 20D?

btw, wet cleaning doesn't lead to dust attraction - whatever gave you that idea? turning on your camera sensor does, nothing else will. your sensor is deeply embedded in the camera cavity, it is not that easy for dust to just fly and stick to it unlike a wet window.

Well. I wanted to quote this example. Like flies fly into wet window and got stuck. Since we cant see the particle and it does appear our picture at f10 onwards, imagine the amount of particle we cant see in the air. While we are waiting for it to dry, there are chances that the particles in the air will stick to it. Unless I loan the wafer fabrication lab from my school to do the cleaning. :bsmilie:

Because the place Im staying here now got renovation here and there. Plus upgrading. So my b***s shrink when I think of what will happen if I do wet cleaning then those particles bigger then the ones currently stuck on the sensor decide to join in the "fun". :eek:

Done properly, the usual wet cleaning agents evaporate almost immediately upon application. Most people make the mistake of having their pads soaking wet.

Personally I think the most basic method - pecpad and an appropriate Eclipse solution is still the simplest and most effective method. BTW, look around the CSC techs' workstations and you'll see bottles of Eclipse solution.

Also, do some research - there are different solutions for different cameras whose low-pass filters use different coatings.

Find another place that's not so dusty to clean your LP filter. If no choice, go 'shower' the air in your bathroom with the windows closed, and wait for a few minutes (doors and all windows closed). Then clean your LP filter in the bathroom. It will be one of the most 'dust-free' places around the home.

Last edited:
Done properly, the usual wet cleaning agents evaporate almost immediately upon application. Most people make the mistake of having their pads soaking wet.

Personally I think the most basic method - pecpad and an appropriate Eclipse solution is still the simplest and most effective method. BTW, look around the CSC techs' workstations and you'll see bottles of Eclipse solution.

Also, do some research - there are different solutions for different cameras whose low-pass filters use different coatings.

Find another place that's not so dusty to clean your LP filter. If no choice, go 'shower' the air in your bathroom with the windows closed, and wait for a few minutes (doors and all windows closed). Then clean your LP filter in the bathroom. It will be one of the most 'dust-free' places around the home.

Thanks for the advice.

So far have done some research on most of the solution and only Eclipse gives the list of which camera is safe for use. 20D is inside the list tho.

So means other then getting Eclipse solution and lint/abrasion free swipe Im good to go? Worries will screw things up with wet cleaning tho. :embrass: I have hands of destruction. Touch anything and it tend to spoils. Hence prefer dry cleaning.

If your hands are that destructive, your whole camera disintegrated long ago. :bsmilie:

Just learn to use minimal pressure can liao.

eclipse used to have eclipse and e2, now they apparently are back to one solution that is safe for all cameras. so you can buy that, just make sure you have the newest batch.

Actually, I kinda hate using Eclipse swabs. Never really got it right despite countless tries. The brush was more than enough for me. How much is the sensorklear selling for now?

1. first i would leave it to the experts to do the cleaning i.e. send it to CSC/NSC.
2. it may be true the CSC/NSC techs have eclipse lying around their desk but the point is they know how to clean it.

ok so you tell yourself what's so difficult abt cleaning it? at the end of day, it is about responsibility. if you clean it yourself and anything goes wrong, you are responsible for it. if i send it to CSC/NSC and pay the servicing fee, if they screw up i send it back to them until they get it right.

1. first i would leave it to the experts to do the cleaning i.e. send it to CSC/NSC.
2. it may be true the CSC/NSC techs have eclipse lying around their desk but the point is they know how to clean it.

ok so you tell yourself what's so difficult abt cleaning it? at the end of day, it is about responsibility. if you clean it yourself and anything goes wrong, you are responsible for it. if i send it to CSC/NSC and pay the servicing fee, if they screw up i send it back to them until they get it right.
Seriously, it is not that difficult to clean it yourself you know. I think if you learn how to do it, you can the job much better than the tech themselves. Trust me, I have spent way too much money on them only to be disappointed every time I get my camera back. The screwing up part only happens if you don't RTFM. Cheers!

You see. You have said and miss the point Im trying to say. Going back every time if they dont get things right? :think: Because if that iss the case, the cost and time saved travelling through and fro might be able to get few bottle of Eclipse solution or swipe if they dont get it right in the first place.

Im a student during weekday and I work part time on weekend which I dont see that as a most efficient way as I rather spend the free time shooting then sending it to CSC through and fro. Although I understand they give warranty for post service.

Beside my camera no more warranty. Its a 20D.

Seriously, it is not that difficult to clean it yourself you know. I think if you learn how to do it, you can the job much better than the tech themselves. Trust me, I have spent way too much money on them only to be disappointed every time I get my camera back. The screwing up part only happens if you don't RTFM. Cheers!

I agree. Because a friend on mine sent his 450D for servicing. In return was a dusty viewfinder and sensor. Therefore the service there at CSC is a hit or miss. I wont say its no good. But I dont like the idea of running up and down where the time spent travelling can be used to do something better and meaningful.

Hence decide to learn to DIY as it is the most efficient way, though the starting cost is high. ;)

Actually, I kinda hate using Eclipse swabs. Never really got it right despite countless tries. The brush was more than enough for me. How much is the sensorklear selling for now?

Haha. I also trying find out the current price. Will purchase it if its lower then the Eclipse+Swaps. :D I will check out if have the time. After knowing where is selling it and the price will update you here. ;) Cant wait to get rid of those dusts in the sensor. Pffft.... ;(

eclipse used to have eclipse and e2, now they apparently are back to one solution that is safe for all cameras. so you can buy that, just make sure you have the newest batch.

Yupps. Read up online that many E2 supporter is disappointed that the E2 solution is discontinued as some find E2 better than Eclipse. I will take note of that though. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Yupps. Read up online that many E2 supporter is disappointed that the E2 solution is discontinued as some find E2 better than Eclipse. I will take note of that though. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

i think e2 is not as good as eclipse for cleaning wise - it takes longer to dry up due to higher water content.

Status
Not open for further replies.