Sensitivity Priority - My favourite shooting mode now with the K-x

Status
Not open for further replies.

woefulwabbit

Jan 16, 2009
When I used my Pentax K10D, I almost always used P (Hyper Program) mode. It gives me control of everything I need. Front dial for Tv mode, rear dial for Av mode. Hold Ok + front dial to change ISO.

With the K-x having only the rear dial, obviously HyperProgram mode isn't available anymore, although P-shift is probably good enough replacement. However, ISO change is no longer so simple.. The Ok button no longer works and there is no front dial. ISO changes requires taking my eyes off the OVF to press the Right ISO button and make the changes on the screen... also I cannot do the Ok+Green shortcut to reset ISO to auto.

Another problem I found is that in Program or Auto mode, the K-x doesn't seem to automatically reduce ISO when used with flash. If it decides that a scene be shot at ISO 1600 without flash, it will continue to shoot at ISO 1600 with the flash turned on.. which kind of defeats the purpose of using the flash. So I have to manually choose a more sensible ISO 400.

I also find that I hardly ever make any shift when in P mode anyway, so even with Tv/Av and P-shift available in P mode... I almost never used them.

So I realized all my problems are pretty much solved if I simply use Sensitivity Priority all the time. In good light, I simply set ISO 200 and let the P mode figure out the rest, or switch to modes if I ever want to play around with fast shutter or dov. When using flash, I switch to ISO 400, and in not-so-good light, I just adjust the ISO until I get a shutter speed I'm comfortable with.

So just sharing my experience, maybe this may help you, or maybe there's a better/easier way for me to do things.

Thanks for sharing this one! Will try out next month when I finally get my hands on my next K-x body!! This does sounds like a comfortable way to shoot with the K-x for most occasions.

Hi woefulwabbit, thanks for the overview and information. Just got my KX this week and I am still figuring out all the functions (I'm new to DSLR btw).

However, I find myself using more of the Av mode as take mostly candid and portrait for the time being. Maybe I should try using the sensitivity mode from now on.

And also, I like your signature "I don't subsidize marketing campaigns." That's one of the reason why I chose a Pentax :)

I'm still in the process of getting used to the K-x. I think in good light situation, I should just use P, then switch to S in not-so-good-light situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.