Sengkang Riverside Park

aloyloy

Sep 2, 2007
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Technique on HDR. Is it correct? I took a total of the same 6 pictures with different stops of exposure and used Photoshop HDR image blending.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hoping to achieve sharp landscape pictures as well as getting the right exposure both the water and the clouds (in this case).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken in a gloomy Decemeber weather with thick dark clouds.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I feel that the picture is kind of gloomy (maybe due to the dark clouds and my low exposure?)What do you guys think?

C&C are welcome. Still exploring hoping to learn more. Thanks

5306456283_46af64f29c_b.jpg

Hi,
I don't think the HDR worked. The HDR is supposed to allow retention of details in highlight and shadow areas, which your picture doesn't show. Notice the blown highlights in the sky and loss of detail in the shadows of the trees on the left and right of the picture?

Since you're doing HDR, you might want to ensure that you get a variety of exposures, depending on the overall dynamic range of the scene. You need to expose for the shadows and the highlights, and not merely set an arbitary exposure bracketing setting and hope to retain all the information in the scene.

Keep trying!

Yeah the HDR didn't work, unfortunately. It looks dull and moody (not sure if that's the effect you want to achieve, but HDR is not really suited for that anyway)

Technique on HDR. Is it correct? I took a total of the same 6 pictures with different stops of exposure and used Photoshop HDR image blending.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hoping to achieve sharp landscape pictures as well as getting the right exposure both the water and the clouds (in this case).

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken in a gloomy Decemeber weather with thick dark clouds.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I feel that the picture is kind of gloomy (maybe due to the dark clouds and my low exposure?)What do you guys think?

C&C are welcome. Still exploring hoping to learn more. Thanks

As you mentioned, it was a gloomy december day, so i think the end-result of your HDR showed exactly that.
I like that it looks natural, i.e. not painting-like, as a lot of overdone HDRs seem to be.

Since you didn't request for C&C on composition, I shall leave that out.

If anything, this shows that HDR is not some magic tool that can create something out of nothing. Having good quality light is still paramount.
cheers! keep shooting!

this is one HDR that doesn't look that horrible but still can be improve. hope to see more of your future attempts.

What EV settings were your 6 pictures? That is pretty important here.

What EV settings were your 6 pictures? That is pretty important here.

Thank you everyone for the comments, really appreciate it, helped me alot.

As for my exposure settings, i acquired a whole range of exposure meaning from +2, +1, +1.5, 0, -1, -2. I guess its also due to not much of a lighting contrast due to the gloomy weather that caused the dull feeling of the picture. Any way to solve this problem other than waiting for the right opportunity?

Any way to solve this problem other than waiting for the right opportunity?

i guess u had to wait.

december is not a good month... almost raining every day.

lets hope this month, jan, will be a more sunny month.

Hope you like this..

65969136.jpg

Last edited:
I think the timing you shot at was just not good, the HDR didn't bring much of the details or colour into the picture. Also, it's slightly overdone as there are halos around the HDB flats in the background

Skylight yellow portion seems to be exceptional bright :cool:

Hope you like this..

65969136.jpg

Hi thanks for helping to give some improvement to my shot. But i think that the portion at the top right corner of the pic turned too yellow instead. I guess u attempted to increase the brightness of the foreground of the picture? resulting in over saturation of sky.