Sending lens for maintainence? How often?

plasma

Nov 22, 2003
Ithaca, NY, USA
Visit site
Do you send lens for maintenance on a regular basis? I think my lens is out of lubrication as i can feel some grinding while turning the zoom. do you think its time for a checkup?

It's not a car.

Only send it in if you see an issue.

I only send lenses in when they breaks.

Do you send lens for maintenance on a regular basis? I think my lens is out of lubrication as i can feel some grinding while turning the zoom. do you think its time for a checkup?

1. No, no need for maintenance on regular basis; not itchy don't scratch.

2. The grinding could be anything - I don't have your lens, so it could be sand that got in, it could be a barrel issue, my suggestion is that you send it in; I'm not a frequent customer at servicing centres having much better things to do with my life (and of course, luck with gear functioning as it should), but there is no harm - my understanding is that they will examine the problem and then quote you before repairs, then you can make the decision whether to repair or not based on financial assessment of the costs involved (versus, say, getting a replacement, etc).

Also, if you think that quotation is too expensive, you can always look for fatigue here - he might be able to help at a more affordable price.

Grinding while turning zoom! could it be similar to this problem?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/694767-Slight-play-on-Tamron-zoom

If yes, stop using and get it checked.

Also, if you think that quotation is too expensive, you can always look for fatigue here - he might be able to help at a more affordable price.

Thanks