Sending digital photos for printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah_Seng

Apr 8, 2003
Land of the woods........
Hello guys,

Need your advise here.

Is it necessary to crop all my photos to 3:2 (Fixed Aspect Ratio) in photoshop if I want to get them printed in 4R sizes and a ratio of 5:7 if printing in 5Rs?

If I merely send in my original photos without doing any cropping or any touch-up in PS, the print of my original picture will be cropped?

Thanks in advance.

Yup, u'll find the top & bottom of ur pic crop'd off in the actual print. Think now there's a new format that allows bigger prints but they can't fit in those std-size 4R photo albums lor...

Thanks man.....

So..say for printing 4R pics, I will need to change the 3:2 ratio accordingly to whether landscape or portrait right? Like 3:2 or 2:3 ya?

3:2 and 6:4 is the same ya?

Wah......like that if I need to print a few hundred 4R pics, then I need to crop all my pics one by one until my eyes drop out?

Siong man....... :sweat:

Then if I change my mind and decided to print 5R, then I need to re-crop all again?

:sweat: :sweatsm: :sweat:

eagles_creek said:
Then if I change my mind and decided to print 5R, then I need to re-crop all again?

:sweat: :sweatsm: :sweat:
Yes.

Why don't you just print in your 4:3 ratio lah? If printing in 4R, tell the lab that you want in 4RDSC, Fit-In .... it'll come out 6.0" x 4.5". ;)

Azure said:
Yes.

Why don't you just print in your 4:3 ratio lah? If printing in 4R, tell the lab that you want in 4RDSC, Fit-In .... it'll come out 6.0" x 4.5". ;)

As in the original ratio is 4:3?

So if I were to do no cropping,and want it in 4RDSC, the photos will come out to be 6.0" x 4.5" ?

That's 0.5" wider on the width ya?

By the way, what's 4RDSC ?

Thanks. :embrass:

eagles_creek said:
As in the original ratio is 4:3?

So if I were to do no cropping,and want it in 4RDSC, the photos will come out to be 6.0" x 4.5" ?

That's 0.5" wider on the width ya?

By the way, what's 4RDSC ?

Thanks. :embrass:
All the above is correct.

4RDSC is a size available at many digital labs nowadays. It caters to the typical 4:3 size of digicams (eg Canon G2/G3/G5, Nikon 5700, Oly 5050C, etc, etc) like yours, if I remember correctly. ;)

Azure said:
All the above is correct.

4RDSC is a size available at many digital labs nowadays. It caters to the typical 4:3 size of digicams (eg Canon G2/G3/G5, Nikon 5700, Oly 5050C, etc, etc) like yours, if I remember correctly. ;)

Hey Azure,

thanks.....mine is S30, checked my original photos...they're all in 4:3 ratio.

Hmm.....so I can print without cropping.

Is there any 5RDSC that prints 5R sizes without the need to crop also?

Do you know if Kim Tian prints 4RDSC size? How much do they charge?

Thanks again! :D

Hey, hi,
I was away for a get-together with the AG goers lah.... :D

Anyway, if you want 4RDSC, most FDI labs offer it. I recommend Triple-D at Burlington Sq. KT has left a bad impression after some foul-ups and with a recent spat.

Azure said:
Hey, hi,
I was away for a get-together with the AG goers lah.... :D

Anyway, if you want 4RDSC, most FDI labs offer it. I recommend Triple-D at Burlington Sq. KT has left a bad impression after some foul-ups and with a recent spat.

Hey hey,

Kum Sia.....Bet you had a great time!

Maybe I am a bit KPO, but can share what happened with KT?

:think: :think: :think:

Aiya......me again...... :embrass: :embrass:

Any idea how thick is the border if I print with border?

Any extra charge to print with borders?

Virgo said:
Yep. Crop it to 4 in by 6 in (portrait) or 6 in by 4 in (landscape).

Can i ask, being a newbie, how do u crop using Adobe Photoshop? izzit under "Image" , --> "Image size" n change it there??

Beyondgal said:
Can i ask, being a newbie, how do u crop using Adobe Photoshop? izzit under "Image" , --> "Image size" n change it there??

Hi Beyondgal,

there are quite a number of links for using photoshop...

this is one of them :

http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/resizecrop/ResizeCropGuide.htm

Can also use the marquee tool and set the ratio before cropping.

But if you need to print, then need to set the correct ratio to whatever size you need to print before cropping. I also just learnt here......

Most of my photos are uncropped, but became cropped when printed out.

Now I know why............either crop them or print in 4RDSC size.

Need to do more work liao.........

One more question on dpi....

Is it necessary or better to change the dpi number to 300 if the original number is say 180 ?

Or say if the lab's printer dpi setting is 300, then we will need to change our photo's dpi to 300 too?

I read in one of the photoshop articles that dpi setting under the image size menu is an instruction to the printer. So, a higher dpi will give better quality picture. Is this true?

Sorry....still abit confused abt the effect of changing that dpi number. :confused:

eagles_creek said:
Hi Beyondgal,

there are quite a number of links for using photoshop...

this is one of them :

http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/resizecrop/ResizeCropGuide.htm

Can also use the marquee tool and set the ratio before cropping.

But if you need to print, then need to set the correct ratio to whatever size you need to print before cropping. I also just learnt here......

Most of my photos are uncropped, but became cropped when printed out.

Now I know why............either crop them or print in 4RDSC size.

Need to do more work liao.........

Thanks a lot for ur infor !!! Really appreciate it !! Guess being newbie, really a lot of techniques to pick up ! :bsmilie:

You are welcome Beyondgal....I am also newbie,so we all learn from each other and the experts here.

Just came back from Grace PhotoLab, sent my pics for printing after seeing my friend's nicely printed pics.

I must say Grace is good !!!

Very nicely printed,color reproduction is great and Simon of Grace is very helpful and friendly.

Eh......I don't get commision one......but a good lab deserves to be recommended !

Simon :

9872 8095 (HP)
6774 1846 (Lab)

Free collection from your place for > 100 pieces.

Happy Printing !!! :)

eagles_creek said:
Wah......like that if I need to print a few hundred 4R pics, then I need to crop all my pics one by one until my eyes drop out?

Siong man....... :sweat:

Can do an action on vertical crop and another on horizontal crop in PS if you are only resizing (ie not cropping part of the pic that you unwanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.