Selling Prints of Photos Internationally

Nagimaru

Oct 7, 2013
Singapore
I've gotten some requests online for a print of one of my pictures from people around the world.

I was considering putting up the picture up for digital download/prints but I'm just afraid of the loss of control over my image.

An alternative would be personally printing out the pictures and mailing them, as it isn't too much effort for me (I'm pretty bored most of the time anyway).
That way I'd maximize control over unauthorized duplication of my images.

What I'd like to ask is, is there anyone who has experience doing this before and has advice on it and also, how much should I really charge were I to do it?

Thanks for your time!

How do you intend to market your photos? Website? Ebay?

Usually, people will not put up full res photos for downloading. Instead, you can create a catalogue of thumbnails and low res photos for selection. As for the price, you need to decide what kind of usage rights are you granting with each transaction. Are you granting unlimited usage or with conditions?

Some others will get a stock library to represent them. Either way, I'd suggest ou set up a Paypal account for funds transfer. Good luck.

I meant for downloading as in stock libraries e.g. 500px, Shutterstock and the sort but they pay very, very little and I lose a lot of control over where my pictures are used.
It's the rights issue that you mentioned that worries me more.

As for the marketing issue, it's less that and more of the printing side. I've shown my work (lo-res) to some people online and they have expressed interest in obtaining large prints for their homes.
My question maybe should be better phrased as: What is the best approach when someone contacts you directly and requests a print of a specific picture that you have? Thanks again.

Last edited:
the are some sites offer gallery hosting, shopping cart, print on demand and shipping services. their customers have no access to the digital images but only prints, so may be this is what you are looking for.

check this out
http://www.artpromotivate.com/2013/02/websites-to-sell-prints-online.html

shutterstock are classified as micro stock agencies, they don't sell prints, photo buyers are buying the licence of the images they have downloaded, photographers do not know who are the buyers, but most of them don't really cares, as their photos are just a commodity.
the earnings seem very little but the same images can be loaded for hundred or even thousand times.

hope this help.

Last edited:
the are some sites offer gallery hosting, shopping cart, print on demand and shipping services. their customers have no access to the digital images but only prints, so may be this is what you are looking for.

check this out
http://www.artpromotivate.com/2013/02/websites-to-sell-prints-online.html

shutterstock are classified as micro stock agencies, they don't sell prints, photo buyers are buying the licence of the images they have downloaded, photographers do not know who are the buyers, but most of them don't really cares, as their photos are just a commodity.
the earnings seem very little but the same images can be loaded for hundred or even thousand times.

hope this help.

I think this is what probably I'm looking for. Thanks alot!