selling photos to newspapers

Mortichro

Jun 12, 2008
Singapore
fazrinaffendi.tumblr.com
i have no idea how the publishing and journalism works in singapore but..

If i ever manage to take a picture of a moment of event (an accident or some thing going wrong) can i sell those pictures to the straits times or any newspaper publisher for some cash?

and i would love to try photojournalism actually

If i ever manage to take a picture of a moment of event (an accident or some thing going wrong) can i sell those pictures to the straits times or any newspaper publisher for some cash?

By the time you contact them, the "event" most probably be "covered" by stompers armed with handphones and photos ready for the press. They don't even have to spend a single cent these days.

By the time you contact them, the "event" most probably be "covered" by stompers armed with handphones and photos ready for the press. They don't even have to spend a single cent these days.

word.

Singapore already has an established Citizen Journalism, aka 'Kay Poh' portal in the form of Stomp

Best way for you to 'try' photojournalism is to get out of this country, or even this subcontinent. Go to someplace you don't know, as far as you can get, a land which is strange to you, and shoot! And then when you think you're good enough, Get your name on small time editorials which advertise on Lightstalkers e.g Eleanor, Private, etc. Then network more, and keep expanding your portfolio. Achieve some sort of fellowship or whatever they call it at the Royal Photographic Society. Ask for critique from established photojournalists, and maybe they might even refer you if your work is good..

those are some of the ways to break in, but now it's harder than ever. The future of the newspaper industry seems dismal. However, if you get into humanitarian photography, you're in luck. You should learn a new language like Afghani/Pashto , and take classes in subjects like International Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, and so on.

However all this is only if it's a serious career choice.

Good luck.

Contact the papers and show them your portfolio. They might give you a chance to work freelance. But they're not going to buy pictures off just anyone who happens to have a pic, their accounts department needs to have you on their payroll. And expect to be paid very little.

You can submit your photos to the email below. But no guarantee they will pay you.
Maybe start off just earning photo credits (i.e they mention your name)

Hello Darrell,

You can email your photos directly to our photodesk at

stphotos@sph.com.sg

Cheers
Niki Bruce

ST Online

Hi,
Please provide the email address for submission of photos for news related articles.

E.g. if i happen to have photos of incidents/ accidents etc

Thanks

Regards,
Darrell Tan

You can submit your photos to the email below. But no guarantee they will pay you.
Maybe start off just earning photo credits (i.e they mention your name)

Would you have any more details, even if a ballpark figure on:
image size
watermarking
pay (if they are willing)

Thanks!

if you manage to take soem newsworthy pictures, errrr lets say an aeroplane crashing
the best bet is to submit to an international agency and let them sell it world wide

eg reuters

if you manage to take soem newsworthy pictures, errrr lets say an aeroplane crashing
the best bet is to submit to an international agency and let them sell it world wide

eg reuters

Agreed.

Reuters, Getty, etc, look for photographer-friendly and organizations that respects the rights of you and the people you photographed.

From all the threads I read here about our local media, it seems that they uses photos without permission, thus not sure if they even need freelancers, save for their staff photographers and photojournalists.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557988

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710332

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367494

And more if you search the threads hard enough.

Last edited:
Ortega: Yeah kinda figured as much, but I thought I remembered a post in here indicating an army of freelancers for the newspaper.

sjackal: Didn't see those threads, thanks.

Gotta say, this country impresses me more and more everyday.

During the recent YOG, I processed two requests from Getty to hang their 5kg EOS 1 + lens above the field of play. Had a chat with them after and they have 'hundreds' of snappers aka roving photographers just for this event.

With repeated cases where local newspapers just take pictures from Flickr, Facebook and other sources on the basis that it is an event of public interest (and therefore no copyright issue) I guess the chances to make any money are quite low. As long as they can get some halfway acceptable snaps for free why should they spend money for buying images?

Newspapers very rarely pay for photos. They will just copy and use, because they are protected by statute.

lol, You all watch too much Spiderman. J Jonah Jameson only paid Peter Parker because in those days, publication was very different - not easy to copy images from other people. As long as Peter Parker held the negatives, and news was fresh, Jameson had to pay him to get the negatives.

Copyright Act (Cap. 63)

Fair dealing for purpose of reporting news
111. A fair dealing with an audio-visual item shall not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the item or in any work or other audio-visual item included in the item if —

(a) it is for the purpose of, or is associated with, the reporting of news in a newspaper, magazine or similar periodical and a sufficient acknowledgment of the first-mentioned audio- visual item is made; or

(b) it is for the purpose of, or is associated with, the reporting of news by means of broadcasting or a cable programme service, by any other means of communication to the public, or in a cinematograph film.

Last edited:
most of the reporters are already carrying their own prosumer camera when they cover an event. anyway most p&s camera are already "powerful" enough for record shooting.

what about sports photography? Is it possible to freelance and sell photos to newspapers or magazines? I saw a couple of really good f1 photos and wonder if anyone established will try to buy and print them.

what about sports photography? Is it possible to freelance and sell photos to newspapers or magazines? I saw a couple of really good f1 photos and wonder if anyone established will try to buy and print them.

from the brochure they distribute at the gate:
"by entering the circuit park, each guest is deemed to have agreed and accepted that all sound and moving picture rights vest exclusively with formula one administration ltd and that any moving picture images originated filmed or recorded at any grand prix circuit shall not be used for commercial purpose and may only be used for the private amateur enjoyment of the person originating filming or recording such images"

pix's (and revenues) are f1's as soon as u sell them..
maybe if u manage to snipe one with a loong lens fr marina sq foodcourt balcony..