Selling of Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

I'm just curious, are there any ways for hobby photographers to make a little bit of cash out of their photos? apart from submitting them to stock agencies...like just say someone wants to decorate their house with a bunch of photos, how does one go about providing such a service in Singapore? (e.g going through an agent or having it in some gallery etc...i'm completely clueless about this so i'm just listing stuff randomly)..If it's possible

i've been asked to decorate a house with a bunch of photos. friendly gesture, non-commercial service. just look at the way people buy up posters and frames at ikea, you get the idea. you probably should go the gallery route if you want to make a living at it.

if somehow money end up guiding what you shoot then it's no longer a hobby. what pics do you have that you think are saleable?

don't really have any photos that could sell, but i've always been curious as to how it works here in singapore...i'm not talking about commissioned photographs...only way i can think of describing it is like how someone who wants to buy a book goes to a bookshop to look for one..is there a similar concept for photos? was talking to a friend and he told me that in melbourne they have their versions of pasar malams where some people will display their photos for sale...

Yes, in Australia and many other countries in Europe and even in South Africa, selling pictures in the flea market is one good way of doing it. However, in South-East Asia, due to the different perceive value of arts, it is often very difficult to do so.

Personally, I've sold to personal friends landscape pictures that were taken while I travelled around (of course, I made a special effort to look out for good and sellable pictures to take whenever I am abroad). Normally this is done by showcasing your work in some form of an album (my advise, go for larger prints so that you can impress them) and suggest to them if they would like to enlarge, frame-up and hang in their house.

Do not overcharge as I said before, this part of the world is a different market. Just markup a bit and get to to recommend like-minded friends.

There is no immediate turnaround process. However, if you are good in what you are doing, in due time, good perserverance will bear good fruits.

Like any business, a bit of planning and marketing is needed. Look for the demand side of things and be the supplier.

All the best,

daniel

agentmonkey said:
don't really have any photos that could sell, but i've always been curious as to how it works here in singapore...i'm not talking about commissioned photographs...only way i can think of describing it is like how someone who wants to buy a book goes to a bookshop to look for one..is there a similar concept for photos? was talking to a friend and he told me that in melbourne they have their versions of pasar malams where some people will display their photos for sale...

agentmonkey said:

not that i know of myself, at least for the "pasar malam" part. you could probably go to Riceball Photography Book Store and buy some prints for one; I've seen photographic works for sale at Merlin art gallery; there's the Photographer's Gallery. There could be more physical outlets for people who want to sell photo prints in singapore.

i have considered selling prints at flea marts actually. in my room there's a framed print from a London photographer who started selling at flea marts and progressed to a shop.

igpenguin said:
not that i know of myself, at least for the "pasar malam" part. you could probably go to Riceball Photography Book Store and buy some prints for one; I've seen photographic works for sale at Merlin art gallery; there's the Photographer's Gallery. There could be more physical outlets for people who want to sell photo prints in singapore.

i have considered selling prints at flea marts actually. in my room there's a framed print from a London photographer who started selling at flea marts and progressed to a shop.

hey man, where's merlin art gallery and the photographer's gallery located at?

merlin has a bunch of branches... i saw photographic prints for sale at the one at Takashimaya. they are still more painting orientated

TP gallery is at MICA building. as far as i know, they rent out their premises for people who want to do their own shows / exhibitions. not sure whether they sell prints on consignment / agent basis.

oracle0711 said:
Yes, in Australia and many other countries in Europe and even in South Africa, selling pictures in the flea market is one good way of doing it. However, in South-East Asia, due to the different perceive value of arts, it is often very difficult to do so.

Personally, I've sold to personal friends landscape pictures that were taken while I travelled around (of course, I made a special effort to look out for good and sellable pictures to take whenever I am abroad). Normally this is done by showcasing your work in some form of an album (my advise, go for larger prints so that you can impress them) and suggest to them if they would like to enlarge, frame-up and hang in their house.

Do not overcharge as I said before, this part of the world is a different market. Just markup a bit and get to to recommend like-minded friends.

There is no immediate turnaround process. However, if you are good in what you are doing, in due time, good perserverance will bear good fruits.

Like any business, a bit of planning and marketing is needed. Look for the demand side of things and be the supplier.

All the best,

daniel

thanks for your advice and info as well daniel, much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.