Selling image on Flickr

skybroodz

Nov 8, 2010
Singapore
www.vt-photo.com
Hi guys ! An advertising company is interested in buying my image in Flickr and they asked me for quote. I had totally no experience in selling images. If I sell the license for the image, does it mean that I can't resell the image again ? Do I need to provide a form to them too ? Usually how much is selling an image ? Thank in advance. :)

Hi guys ! An advertising company is interested in buying my image in Flickr and they asked me for quote. I had totally no experience in selling images. If I sell the license for the image, does it mean that I can't resell the image again ? Do I need to provide a form to them too ? Usually how much is selling an image ? Thank in advance. :)

Sell them the right to use the photo. Set a timeline, and scope of use.

Do not sell them the ownership rights to the picture.

There are many types of licensing, as DD123 says, you can sell the right to use the photograph. It is not hard to find standard templates on the web if you do a proper search, just adapt it for your own use. Best to provide an invoice, that's my view.

How much, depends on you and also the resolution.. Naturally I would think the concern is more about not being shortchanged rather than getting more money from the company... At least that's how I viewed it since photography is merely a hobby for me.

Do note that if they want EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to the photo, meaning that you sell your rights to them as well, the fee will be a lot higher. Usually these advertising companies don't really want that though, they want the right to use, but you have to make it clear so that there is no question about it later on.

Can refer to this link here for invoice sample: LicenseStream « Field Report:

To get an idea of how what might be included. You can naturally, swop the layout around..

Things you could include (some are optional):

1) Recipient
2) Your name and contact naturally
3) Date
4) Description of photograph and usage (some people like to put a small thumbnail of the photo) along with the size being provided
5) Terms of license, e.g. Upon receipt of payment in full of XXXX, the Photographer XXXX licenses XXXXX one-time, non-exclusive serial print (on paper) reproduction rights to publish photo for the purposes of commercial postcards. All other rights reserved. Electronic or digital use rights are not automatically conferred by this print use licensing. Advertising, promotion, internet, web, PDF, CD-ROM, DVD, e-book, archiving, sharing and any other electronic, digital or printed use is prohibited. Additional use of any kind whatsoever, in any media or by any means of distribution, requires an additional licensing fee.
6) Your set of T&C, e.g.

a. Both parties agree the following terms and conditions embody all of the understandings and obligations between the parties hereto.
b. “Photographer” refers to YOU. “Photographs” means all photographic material furnished by Photographer. “Client” refers to the commissioning party, recipient of Photographs, or company named above, but not limited to, its representatives, employees, agents, affiliates, assigns, heirs, successors.
c. Except as otherwise specifically provided herein, all Photographs and rights therein, including copyright, remain the sole and exclusive property of Photographer.
d. No rights are granted until receipt of payment of this invoice in full. Payment is required within thirty (30) days of invoice.
e. Client may not assign or transfer this agreement, or any rights granted hereunder, to any third party. This agreement binds and inures to the benefit of Photographer, Client, Client’s principals, employees, agents and affiliates and their respective heirs, legal representatives, successors and assigns. No amendment or waiver of any terms is binding unless set forth in writing and signed by the parties.

Hope this helps.