selling camera and lense to shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydesg

Apr 13, 2003
Visit site
how much do you people think i can get if i were to sell my SLR to for eg, camera workshop in penisular?

moving on to DSLR soon, so abit impatient to wait for buyers for my camera n lense

they are eos30+bp300 and 28-105 f4/5.6 lense
very new condition though

u probably won't be able to get the $500+ u're looking for. guess mebbe abt in the region bet $200+ to $300+? u might have better chances here in CS. :)

Short question, why not keep the 28-105? I'm pretty sure it's a good len given it's range and price.

The EOS30 and BP might be good to keep if you need to shoot black white/slides next time :)

Just a suggestions!

but i want to sell them to fund for my DSLR leh
hehehe

i was wondering if my asking price is too much?
$550?

i bought them for 740+140+325 leh
camera bp300 lense

nightwolf75 said:
u probably won't be able to get the $500+ u're looking for. guess mebbe abt in the region bet $200+ to $300+? u might have better chances here in CS. :)

hahaha ..... may not even within the region of $200+ to $300+ ..... they will most probably ask you to put there on consignment and when someone bought the camera at your requested price, then they will get a cut out of it.

They will not pay you outright for a camera as it is hard to sell film cameras nowadays ......

If you sell at CS, you may be able to get your body for $300 - $400 (if you include the battery pack), but you would not get anything near this price if you want to sell it at any shop .... they still have to earn and basically they will have to charge another 70 - 100% of the cost price to cover their overhead, go figure how much will they offer you :D

blurblock said:
hahaha ..... may not even within the region of $200+ to $300+ ..... they will most probably ask you to put there on consignment and when someone bought the camera at your requested price, then they will get a cut out of it.

They will not pay you outright for a camera as it is hard to sell film cameras nowadays ......

If you sell at CS, you may be able to get your body for $300 - $400 (if you include the battery pack), but you would not get anything near this price if you want to sell it at any shop .... they still have to earn and basically they will have to charge another 70 - 100% of the cost price to cover their overhead, go figure how much will they offer you :D

oh yeah. forget dat. yup! it goes for even prime and P&G (at adelphi). they won't buy things from u outright anymore. eg. i wanted to sell an old 28-90mm kit lens 3-4 mths back at P&G. they offer me $100, on consignment. but, i saw they mark it up to $280. ie - if they sell (siao... who would want to buy a plastic kit lens at $280??), they pocket $180, and i get $100.

anyway im thinking of getting the nikon D70 real soon

may i know where can i get it ?

and at what price cheapest i can get it for? budled with kit lense and 1gb cf
:thumbsup:

isn't the market practice to only markup 20% of the seller's asking price? It would be sharp business practice to mark up by more than 100% of the selling price. Not only does the shop pocket such a huge margin (which is ok business wise), but the main point is that the shop is either:

a. if $100 is way below, it would be forcing the buyer to contend with a low selling price of $100; or
b. if $100 is so-so, then the shop will hurt the seller's chances of a successful sale by marking the price so high.

tsk tsk.

nightwolf75 said:
oh yeah. forget dat. yup! it goes for even prime and P&G (at adelphi). they won't buy things from u outright anymore. eg. i wanted to sell an old 28-90mm kit lens 3-4 mths back at P&G. they offer me $100, on consignment. but, i saw they mark it up to $280. ie - if they sell (siao... who would want to buy a plastic kit lens at $280??), they pocket $180, and i get $100.

Hydesg said:
anyway im thinking of getting the nikon D70 real soon

may i know where can i get it ?

and at what price cheapest i can get it for? budled with kit lense and 1gb cf
:thumbsup:

go to the nikon thread. i think they are starting another MO on D70.

vince123123 - i watched the guy stick the price sticker on the lens. which was why i decided to get the lens back and sell it myself. in the end, i sold it off for $80, i think.

vince123123 said:
isn't the market practice to only markup 20% of the seller's asking price? It would be sharp business practice to mark up by more than 100% of the selling price. Not only does the shop pocket such a huge margin (which is ok business wise), but the main point is that the shop is either:

a. if $100 is way below, it would be forcing the buyer to contend with a low selling price of $100; or
b. if $100 is so-so, then the shop will hurt the seller's chances of a successful sale by marking the price so high.

tsk tsk.

Whoever give you the idea of that market practice? As far as I know they often markup 100%, or else it would be very difficult for them to make ends meet. Take for example, when they do say $30,000 sale (about 1.2k per day, which is not possible) and they only make a profit of $6,000. Minusing rental at about $4,000 and minusing utilities bills of say $500 per month, they will effectively have a turnover of $1500? which hardly pay for their own expenses.

However, if they do the same $30,000 sale per mth and make a profit of $15,000, minusing rental + utilites of $4500, then they still have $11,000 to rollover .......

But frankly speaking, not a lot of secondhand shops makes a $1.2k sale per day.

sell here better

be patient. your patience will be rewarded. CS is a good place to consider. No costs involved.

You'll have to bring down the asking price for your products on the CS marketplace to make them more attractive. The film SLR has probably lost favour with the slow of DSLRs being released, and your lens is a fairly low-demand lens. Just for comparison, the USM version of your 28-105mm lens is selling for just a little more than what you are asking for your F/4-5.6, and it has an aperture range of F/3.5-4.5.

You'll lose more selling them through the shops anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.