sell tokina 28-80 for nikon 85/1.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roti_prata

Jul 31, 2005
Bt Batok
got a 50/1.8 today out of impulse, it totally smokes my tokina. i assume the 85/1.8 is just as good. i think my tokina can sell for at least 600++ which is just nice for the 85/1.8. currently i hav the tokina 12-24, 28-80 nikon 50/1.8, 70-200. or will it be a waste of $$ since my 70-200 will be more convinent?

Of course 85mm is as good if not better than the already good 50mm, follow your heart.
I would recommend the trio - 20mm/50mm/85mm.

test.jpg

for abit more sharpness, the 50/1.8 gives me double the brightness

20mm is not enough on the wide end, any idea how much the 14/2.8 is going for now? maybe i could replace my 12-24 with it.

roti_prata said:
20mm is not enough on the wide end, any idea how much the 14/2.8 is going for now? maybe i could replace my 12-24 with it.

14/2.8 is about 2.4-2.5k SGD

Just do it.
:thumbsup:

TMC said:
Everyone on the warpath for the 14/2.8?
Got to work very very very hard for that.
As for the price, everyone quote very differently, could be as low as $2k+, or as high as $2.7k, not very sure :think:

I think I will search for a 2nd hand one but unless I am a professional landscape shooter, that is too much money for a single lens.

wa piang, its made of anodized gold izzit. my tokina only got gold ring so $800 :p

my heart itchy already, too bad using nikon if not can try my sch's 85/1.2

roti_prata said:
wa piang, its made of anodized gold izzit. my tokina only got gold ring so $800 :p

my heart itchy already, too bad using nikon if not can try my sch's 85/1.2
or get the 85/1.4

might as well get d2x and 300/2.8vr thn use hi speed crop.

dont ot:nono: tell me more y i shd get 85/1.8 n sell my tokina

You should know best which one fits your needs more. 1 has zoom, the other prime, convenience over more sharpness and larger aperture. Which one works better for your needs? you decide then buy.

I would tell you to keep the tokina.

as our prime king (aka astin... heehee..) has pointed out, primes (most of the time) will leave zooms in the dust. then again, this might be subjective cos there are some nikon primes dat are duds.

the tokina 28-80/f2.8, for its price, is a pretty good lens. as long as u dun compare with primes or nikon original lenses. i have this lens and it served me very well. the range is quite useful for normal day-to-day shooting, and at f2.8 its pretty handy for low-light event shooting. if u dun have a mid-zoom lens, this is good to have.

the 85/1.8 is an excellent portrait/mid-tele lens. short of buying the 85/1.4, dat is... great to have, if u have a need for it.

i guess i'll pass and get a 105marco next time. maybe the 105vr marco will be officially announced next yr.

indoors i often feel tt even f2.8 is not enough, i hav to jack up to iso800 when the noise becomes very visible.

the 50/1.8 can be reverse mounted right? do i lose metering? wats the reproduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.