self-portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.

festard

Aug 14, 2005
singapore, serangoon
melicacy.com
hey i'm currently using an slr and i find that self-portraits are pretty troublesome as there's no auto focus and all.. any tips?
oh and does anyone know where i can get cable release?
thanks

festard said:
hey i'm currently using an slr and i find that self-portraits are pretty troublesome as there's no auto focus and all.. any tips?
oh and does anyone know where i can get cable release?
thanks

What model is your SLR ?:heart:

Canon EOS 66.

Reflections.. did so..... but the effect that I want is like normal photoshoots like a photographer's taking it but I just wanna do it myself.. lol. great fan of cindy sherman.

manual focussing is troublesome.. lol. usually i'd place an object there to focus then get back there, remove it and pose. super tedious to do so every shot.
my camera's self timer's only 10 seconds.. that's why i'm looking for a cable release =) reccomendations?

1 )Use a big object like a big melons or a stuff toys to represent u and put it at the place u are going to be at when picture is taken.
2 )Use a wireless remote (if theres any ) or use the self time mode , 10sec is gd as it allows u to walk back and take a deep breath and gets into the mood before the shutter is trigger.
3 ) Review yr pictures ;)

do note exposure setting as if yr object (stuff toy , big melon ) is darker as compare to yr own skin tone , chances is that u might over expose yrself ( the reverse if u are dark while yr object is light ) . Its always safer to go digital for self portrait as u are using a flim slr as u can review and correct yr mistake on the spot

S11loop said:
Its always safer to go digital for self portrait as u are using a flim slr as u can review and correct yr mistake on the spot

That is absolutely good advice for photogs who do not understand how light works, and depend on camera's automation to decide exposure for them.

If one spends just a little time to understand light, then instant review to correct exposure problems will not be necessary.

hi festard do show us some of yr self portrait picture when its ready ;)

i think eos66 uses the rs-60e3 cable release - same as the one on the eos300d. someone selling in b&s for $12 i think. also depending on how far you are from the camera, you may need a extension cable. not sure if eos66 can use the infrared remote rc1. this one selling in b&s for $18.

Status
Not open for further replies.