Self portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvinmah

Feb 1, 2006
Yishun
www.melvinmah.com
Though focus was a little off, i still like it..

dsc1095e7kq.jpg

rickygck said:
Erm... look like back focusing to me.

yea it is.. unfortunately :(

u see i took this myself.. i set manual focus to infinity (i guess this was my mistake) and did a self timer. It turned out alright on e LCD (got fooled), only to realize it wasnt perfect when I got home.

so can anyone teach me what i should've done?

Self portraits are one of the hardest things to take; I haven't found a simple way to do it yet. You may try the following methods, though none of them is very convenient.

- Use a WA lens, stop down to about f8-f16, and use the same method as you would use to shoot landscapes(ie. hyperfocal)

- If you insist on using a more telephoto lens, try measuring the distance between you and the camera and MFing on the distance scale.

- Get one of those PnSs with the swivel LCD screens

- Describe exactly how you want the composition to look like and where you want the focus to be, what settings and so on. Get someone else to operate the camera for you. I don't know whether this can be considered a self-portrait or not, but think of the other guy as a intelligent voice-activated trigger.

The reason why your shot turned out like this was because you focused on the background, set the release-timer, and promptly went to sit down. How could the camera possibly focus on you? My guess is that the aperture setting was wide open, or close to, as well, else PnSs tend to have nearly unlimited DOF at f5.6 or smaller.

The shot itself does nothing for me. I have no idea why you like it. Colours aren't even anything special. Narcissism?:p Ok just playing. hehe.

Hi,

You also need a spirit level.

Why not set focus on your tree ?

melvinmah said:
Though focus was a little off, i still like it..

dsc1095e7kq.jpg

Friends! Just focus on the three with your timer will be ok liao!

hee alright, will try to experiment more. Thanks for all e advice and comments, they're much appreciated :)

The sifu has spoken.

Stanley, so free ah?

sumball said:
The sifu has spoken.

Stanley, so free ah?

Don said like that lar! Can't sleep mah! How r u now??? Like to see you lay! Come to my place and we can talk c*** and drink kopi lar!:bsmilie:

rickygck said:
Oh YES... the Great One has spoken!!

Oh Yes... again... That is just the beginner only correct??? Still got alot's to learn from......
Never stop shooting..........

Stanley drink kopi one meh?

I like the vibrant colours!

Status
Not open for further replies.