Self Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxluv

Nov 26, 2005
California, USA
self.jpg

Sorry if it's larger than life. I have difficulty with photobucket. :)

Seems all right 4 me.;)

By the way are you using Nikon camera ?

Look a little.. uh... un sharp. Like the pose though. The camera has a red stripe a tthe hand grip area. I guess that makes it a Nikon?

Of course it's a Nikon! (Nikon D50 with my 300mm) I won't use anything else. :) And yes, it was blurry so I sharpened it, but it still looks cruddy.

Do you think this one is better than the above?

Blackwhiteself.jpg

hi there,
i think if ur eye is in focus will make the pic better. interesting hand position creating some sort of 'S' shape.

its nice... both ur pic n u

would prefer the 2nd crop with colours...
i dun think they are blurry...

like the DOF though

well done

:)

paxluv said:
DSC_0004.jpg

Like this??

Hmm.. I don't know...
Your eye is the master eye, same as me....
How 'bout another try with the same pose, lens focus on you right eye first and re-compose to take the shot like this?

show your whole right eye would be nice..:)

couple of suggestions:

the first color pix - i think this is the best pose for a photog's self-portrait. but there's a few things that can be improved:
1. the thumb from the hand holding the lens is cutting into your eye.
2. take out the camera strap for the shot
3. try and use an uncluttered background. i noticed you have two different backgrounds so i am assuming you are able to move the mirror
4. you have lovely hair but maybe a little tidying up for your 'portrait'. i prefer the let down hair.
5. the pink strip from your tee is distracting. watch out for those as well.

the second bw pix - the pop-up flash doesn't do it for me. you had your hair 'bunned' up with your right ear exposed. the pop-up flash smacks right into the middle.

catchlight's right. try to focus on your exposed eye and recompose for the shot. viewer's attention goes straight to the subject's face and eyes. that's where the expression and mood of the photo forms.

hope this helps.

1st pic hands & fingers position is not as good as the 2nd pic cos the 2nd pic holding position is more feminine.
As some pointers has been pointed out like background, focusing on the eye, pop-up flash smack right at the top middle frame & so forth. I do notice that light is still not enough in the pic. Perhaps you need to go nearer to any open window & shoot with natural light.
Do take note that if there's harsh sunlight or any form of strong light will ruin the pic.

PS: If you look good. Don't hide that face behind the camera. Hee...hee...:bsmilie: Just kidding man!

another option:
hold your camera at chest height and take the portrait again.. practice a few shots to get the best angle.
what else to say? hmm... manual focus.

ok.. im trying to be picky here..

1)i like the layout of this crop

2)but i hate to see your lovely eyes partly blocked by your camera.. same goes for your ear which is blocked by the built in flash

3) too much cropped fingers at the top makes the pic a bit distracting

4) open up 1/2 stop might be better (the 1st pic has perfect exposure imho)

:)

catchlights said:
Your eye is the master eye, same as me....
How 'bout another try with the same pose, lens focus on you right eye first and re-compose to take the shot like this?

show your whole right eye would be nice..:)

SniperD said:
it's a very beautiful shot - natural light and a good feel to it :) Be a little more experimental in the cropping!

Yup! Agree with you dude. 1st pic is the lighting that the thread starter need to achieve.

How would you suggest I crop it? (to be expirimental...)

Also, This shot was very difficult to take (and my mirror is nailed to the wall), I am not looking into the view finder because if I do, I cannot see my eye. (I used automatic so I wouldn't have to worry about focusing it..) I wanted the main focus to be the camera, but now I think the shot will be brilliant with my eye in focus.
Seeing as it's 9 pm right now, I'll retake the shot tomorrow with the blinds up, and my hair brushed. :) Hopefully your tips will help me. Thanks a lot for all of the feed back! :D

pre-focus to your eye first then shift your camera to recompose the framing. shift the camera viewfinder to your left eye so to show your right eye to the camera. btw pls close the flash unit. kinda blocking your right eye.

so we'll see it tomorrow then......hehehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.