Self-Drive To Malacca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukon

Apr 23, 2006
West
Hi guys I am planning a self-drive trip to Malacca, if anybody has driven to Malacca please share your experience. Thank you very much.

I never drive there before, but I would say there is nothing special as compare to you drive to KL or Seremban or even further north.

Probably just to take note that sometimes the highway will jam heavily, especially when eve of holiday or during holiday, where a lot Singaporean drove up to Melaka.

going by Tuas, its pretty straight forward estimated 200km. 3 tolls to get to melaka. therefore to and fro is 6 tolls which adds up close to 100RM. first toll less than 10RM, 2nd 10+RM, 3rd is 20+RM(melaka)

Be warned after the 1st toll if u heng or suay as I've encountered rd block but lucky for me no need to give kopi $$$ and was asked to proceed on. from there on its the major highway estimated 160+km before the exit to Melaka.

went on a public holiday, I encountered jam from S'pore customs ard 730am already. Another jam from Melaka toll all the way into the city. Only reach hotel ard 12+noon.

should u want to top up/buy the Touch n Go card, u can only do so at Malaysian brand petrol stations(My fren and I were hunting for places to top up). theres a surcharge for every 50RM top up which is deducted from the credit itself.

Last edited:
I never drive there before, but I would say there is nothing special as compare to you drive to KL or Seremban or even further north.

Probably just to take note that sometimes the highway will jam heavily, especially when eve of holiday or during holiday, where a lot Singaporean drove up to Melaka.

Thank, please elaborate what KL afford.

going by Tuas, its pretty straight forward estimated 200km. 3 tolls to get to melaka. therefore to and fro is 6 tolls which adds up close to 100RM. first toll less than 10RM, 2nd 10+RM, 3rd is 20+RM(melaka)

Be warned after the 1st toll if u heng or suay as I've encountered rd block but lucky for me no need to give kopi $$$ and was asked to proceed on. from there on its the major highway estimated 160+km before the exit to Melaka.

went on a public holiday, I encountered jam from S'pore customs ard 730am already. Another jam from Melaka toll all the way into the city. Only reach hotel ard 12+noon.

should u want to top up/buy the Touch n Go card, u can only do so at Malaysian brand petrol stations(My fren and I were hunting for places to top up). theres a surcharge for every 50RM top up which is deducted from the credit itself.

Thank, I has already standby two touch n Go cards with enough fund for toll. Where are the good places in Malacca you have visited.

Keep a lookout for cars traveling faster than u if you are on the right lane. I have encountered many Singapore cars driving @ 110 km/h on the right lane oblivious to the traffic behind them.

Also, if the opposite cars start flashing their headlights, they are not saying Hi to you, but rather warning u that there are cops ahead.

Have a safe journey :)

Thank, I has already standby two touch n Go cards with enough fund for toll. Where are the good places in Malacca you have visited.

can top up at the booth, just head for the booth with sign "TAMBAH NILAI" with "Touch n go" logo, or top up at the toll office after the toll booth. no reduction, i believe.

If you are looking to speed, most likely you will need to pay coffee money. However, please remember to bargain, of our 4 cars who went, 1 didnt pay (cos didnt speed), 2 cars paid 100 rm and 1 car paid 50rm cos he bargained haha.

Keep a lookout for cars traveling faster than u if you are on the right lane. I have encountered many Singapore cars driving @ 110 km/h on the right lane oblivious to the traffic behind them.

Also, if the opposite cars start flashing their headlights, they are not saying Hi to you, but rather warning u that there are cops ahead.

just keep to the left unless u need to overtake.

i believe flashing your headlight nowadays is not a good idea, just keep your speed below the stated speed limit, no such thing as 10% abv the speed limit is still ok. Sometimes the police may post additional men to catch those trying to warn the opposite lanes.

no "high beam" too unless no car in front.

Hi guys I am planning a self-drive trip to Malacca, if anybody has driven to Malacca please share your experience. Thank you very much.

I am going to assume you have some prior experience driving in Malaysia.

Though I have driven to Malacca previously, I won't go into much details, because others are more qualified than me to answer your questions thoroughly.

The only significantly advice from me: Watch out for the "men in white" and 4 wheel drives :bigeyes:

A Singapore car plate, you will own.
Speeding, you may be not.
Speeding, to them you are.

Bargain with them, you must
Quarrel with them, do not. :nono:
Bring small change, you should.

(unless your partner is Malaysian, like mine) :bsmilie:

Enough said. Have a safe journey.

If you are looking to speed, most likely you will need to pay coffee money. However, please remember to bargain, of our 4 cars who went, 1 didnt pay (cos didnt speed), 2 cars paid 100 rm and 1 car paid 50rm cos he bargained haha.

Heck, you don't even need to speed to kena :dunno:

About the Tolls.

There is only 1 top-top on the way in. It's the first toll just after the customs & 3rd from left. Yes, Tambah Nilai. If you miss that, you can buy/top-up the toll @ the building on the left of the 2nd toll before 6/7pm.

Otherwise, you guys can always top up the card @ any Petronas kiosk for 50cents svc charge.

If money runs out & no more top-up? Don't worry, just wait a while & someone will come over to take cash from you.

About driving.

I never keep to the limit which is 110 on most parts. This is the speed where all coaches, trucks & lorries travel. You do not want to be between & behind them. They will overtake you if they find you're slow enough & trust me, these drivers have no qualms to run you over or pull into your lane least expected. Always flash your headlight or put a right signal when you are 50m before passing them on the right or left. If the lanes are clear on the left, you can do as you please but please do not hog the right/1st lane. Most cars that hog are Sg cars & you'll find that Malaysian cars are mostly very considerate.

Be careful @ the stretch after Tangkak towards Melaka. There are canals running under the highway & uneven. Don't drive too fast or you'll "fly".

If someone "accidentally" knocks onto you. DO NOT stop. If anyone claiming to be police & wave to you to stop, DO NOT stop. The polis only comes in white cars with blue/yellow insignias. They are usually Proton Waja or a small jeep with siren box on top.

Get the Plus telephone no & you can call them toll free when you car breaks down etc. They'll send a rescue vehicle in yellow/white pickup with blue lights which may take an hour+/- to come. If you're paranoid, find & note down JB police no as well.

About TP aka Polis.

Best to keep within limits on the 1st 3 tolls & the last 3 for the return leg. They like to nail you there as it's "good business" since most are Sg cars on that stretch of the highway. They have their lunch, tea-break, dinner & especially Friday prayers where it'll be quite fine. You can take the ticket & pay $ later or simply ask them nicely to see how they can help. Take the instructions from there & be obedient. If they're in good mood, they'll even warn you where else there might be road blocks.

Sometimes, even if you don't speed, they will stop you. They seldom conduct road blocks on the NS highway but do have patrols near major towns so be careful.

About Melaka

Most of us visit Melaka for the old town. Look @ the Bandaraya sign but you basically dive straight all the way in then make a few left turns. You'll reach the old town within 15-30 mins on good traffic but can take hour+ when it's bad. @ the old town, You'll see the famous red building on your left with many tourists then make a right turn up the bridge & across the canal to the Chinatown area. I think you can see the OCBC buiilding on the left. You can park by some open carpark lots where they take about RM2-5 or pay metered parking. (They do check & will fine you!) Or make a few rounds around the estate which is not big but remember to U-turn @ the end of the shophouses on your right, if you go straight, you'll head to the beach which is quite nice but no swimming. You can have pony rides & fly kites there.

The pasar malam only comes alive @ night on Fri, Sat & Sun nights till 11+pm & on eve? + public holidays.

The best Portuguese & Peranakan food is not there but on the suburbs.

There's a huge shopping mall further down from the red fort.

Basically, people go there for the culture, food, street life & some museums. The Little Nonya is shot inside the Peranakan Museum on the first street & you need to pay an entrance fee. You can also try the rice ball Chicken rice but a little overhyped IMHO.

Hope the above helps.

Driving on the NS highway, I usually have less than 50rm in my wallet with smaller denomination. If the Polis pulls you over, just ask them,"can settle or not?" then show them your wallet. I always pull out 4 pieces of 10rm notes and put it underneath their clipboard. Don't forget to smile and say "Terima Kasih":cool:. Slowly pull away and you may curse and swear then.:angry:

Was only there for 2D1N. Parked the car at the hotel. Frens wanted to shop so we went to the 2 shopping malls closiest to Holiday Inn where we stayed. Makota mall and ???

At nite went to Jonker street for the nite market.Musuem and other tourist attraction is just ard Jonker street. If u lazy to walk, can take those trishaw to get from one place to another.
either 12-14RM fixed price IIRC.

Chicken rice ball has afew shops. the shop which looks rundown is the more famous one but i went to another bigger shop which is nicely decorated which seems has a history handed down. Anyway, i feel S'pore chicken rice is nicer.

Do try the chendol. much better than S'pore.

Went to another nonya restaurant recommeded by the hotel but was disappointed by the food.

Didnt have much chance to do any photo shooting and pardon me if i didnt state any names of shops, malls etc cos i cant remember lol

Thank, please elaborate what KL afford.

Your question give the the impression that "what is the thing need to look after if self drive to Melaka, compare to self drive to other part of M'sia". Thus, it is not much different.

If you mean you never drive to M'sia before, or never drive to the NS highway, then I guess most member already give you their opinion.

for Melaka, you may want to visit the Jonker street. It is some sort of night market, similar to the Singapore China town night market. and I feel it is good for photography.

Try the 'chicken rice ball', look for the store with more people inside. I cannot remember the name of the shop...

If you visiting Melaka for 1st time, you may visit the 'Mini Malaysia", it is somewhere nearby the toll, there got several Malay style Kampung house, that represent various state of M'sia. To me it is not bad, but only worth for visit once.

The 'Eye on M'sia has just open, thought smaller then Sg flyer. But it is cheap. only RM20

Driving on the NS highway, I usually have less than 50rm in my wallet with smaller denomination. If the Polis pulls you over, just ask them,"can settle or not?" then show them your wallet. I always pull out 4 pieces of 10rm notes and put it underneath their clipboard. Don't forget to smile and say "Terima Kasih":cool:. Slowly pull away and you may curse and swear then.:angry:

somehow, this is a good way. and yes, if they see it is a Sg plate, they like to stop you....

Thank very much.

Thank, some drivers are kind to give advance warning, but one of my Joker Friend will flash the headlight whenever opposite cars come just to poke fun.

can top up at the booth, just head for the booth with sign "TAMBAH NILAI" with "Touch n go" logo, or top up at the toll office after the toll booth. no reduction, i believe.

Thank, I alway top-up at the petrol station before I am on North-South Highway.

I would highly recommend to rent a Malaysian plated car to drive in Malaysia to avoid any unwanted attention, either by the police or thief. Avis is a good company to rent a car from.

just keep to the left unless u need to overtake.

i believe flashing your headlight nowadays is not a good idea, just keep your speed below the stated speed limit, no such thing as 10% abv the speed limit is still ok. Sometimes the police may post additional men to catch those trying to warn the opposite lanes.

no "high beam" too unless no car in front.

I am going to assume you have some prior experience driving in Malaysia.

Though I have driven to Malacca previously, I won't go into much details, because others are more qualified than me to answer your questions thoroughly.

The only significantly advice from me: Watch out for the "men in white" and 4 wheel drives :bigeyes:

A Singapore car plate, you will own.
Speeding, you may be not.
Speeding, to them you are.

Bargain with them, you must
Quarrel with them, do not. :nono:
Bring small change, you should.

(unless your partner is Malaysian, like mine) :bsmilie:

Enough said. Have a safe journey.

Heck, you don't even need to speed to kena

Ya even never speed also kena summons so must try to bargain down the kopi. Years ago, my friend kena caught speeding 120km/h at Jalan Wong Ah Fook in the afternoon when traffic volume is very heavy. The Joker said either pay-up or engage a lawyer to fight the case.
Just your luck or stay at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.