Self Defense is a survivial tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Street Self-defence is what you need to arm yourself with
especially in an emergency whether you are carrying camera gears or not.
Some tips from the links below:

1. Having a walking stick, monopod or any other device
is useless if you haven't learn how to hit with an effective striking method.

2. When you learn to hit two or three times as hard and at the right
place you will be able to frighten or even drop attackers many times
your sizes easily.

3. Ability to apply self-defense moves with any poles and sticks using the
thrust or ram method.

4. Best bet is to simply learn to fight with a rod-like tool
with a swift action of ramming it horizontally at your target.
The tool can be just 12" to 15" long and can be kept inside your
cheap camera bag. (Never carry an expensive camera bag when you
are out alone in remote places)

5. Are you an easy target for attack because you are not aware of
having certain visible clues, so be aware of your immediate surroundings
even when you are resting on a bench in board daylight. Never close your
eyes with your camera bags beside you.

http://www.self-defense-videos.com/stutely_sales_page.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...oves_with_poles_and_sticks.html?page=2&cat=50

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/57193/self_defense_tips_for_women.html?cat=5

Fortunately during the early days of Bruce Lee and being an ardent fan,
the art of self-defense had be implemented among my peers.
Seeing is believing for sure many would believe that this is
one of the most important survival tool in today's society.
Never go without it! :thumbsup:

lol as convincing as you sound, attacks very rarely happen in singapore :think:

however for other parts of the world im sure this would be useful :)

lol as convincing as you sound, attacks very rarely happen in singapore :think:

however for other parts of the world im sure this would be useful :)

sorry folk, u are totally WRONG. and u are the kind of innocent audience that police is always targetting their ads at.

this thread is a seriously serious topic that every photographer that carries expensive equipment should note

after u look at this thread, i am dead sure u will go out with a minimum monopod or knife next time u are out with ur gears
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467603

knife?! :bigeyes: :sweat: worse if use against u. i rather they cover my head with my bag & kenna keropok!! :bsmilie:

for my case, i do bring the army SOG knives with me, this is if i m not using any monopod or tripod.

at least i m assured that its sharp enuff to cut some blood vessels and organs of any idi0t who whack me.

killing someone in self defence is not a crime rite? :p

Last edited:
for my case, i do bring the army SOG knives with me, this is if i m not using any monopod or tripod.

at least i m assured that its sharp enuff to cut some blood vessels and organs of any idi0t who whack me.

killing someone in self defence is not a crime rite? :p

ooh? full tang or folder?

i must say i may not be fast enough to deploy a folder, a full-tang on the other hand would be slightly faster to respond. but i dun bring. :sweat:

not sure, leh, i cant stand the sight of organs spilling out...

ooh? full tang or folder?

i must say i may not be fast enough to deploy a folder, a full-tang on the other hand would be slightly faster to respond. but i dun bring. :sweat:

not sure, leh, i cant stand the sight of organs spilling out...

er its a folder, full-tang might be too "loud" and attract unnecessary attention.. i cant imagine myself walking with the blade shining outwards.... like the joker in batman..

er its a folder, full-tang might be too "loud" and attract unnecessary attention.. i cant imagine myself walking with the blade shining outwards.... like the joker in batman..

full-tang put in bag mah, cannot belt carry lar. too fierce. :devil: sell durian can lah. :bsmilie:

actually tot other dan multi-tool purely a blade cannot carry de?

Last edited:
Just sharing my experiences with you all, might not be useful to some though.

I dare not to fight when I was a kid becasue of fearing the pain. So I looked down or keep quiet when being confronted by bullies.... well, lucky enough just being pushed or verbally abused.

After I learnt martial art, I still dare not to fight too much because I hurt somebody so bad before and it scared me after the fight. I countered the attacker with those painful acts, dislocating some joints as well as breaking his leg, hand. But my body has been tougher than before, can tahan few punches or kicks However the head and the groin are still the weakest part of our body, must protect.

Then I realised 1 thing during a street fight. If you can't fight, just cover your head and rush to the attacker, grab him close to your body tightly. Instead of hitting you, the attacker usually used up more energy to get rid of you. If you manage to hold him long, roll on the ground, the less hurt you will get becasue he would be tired as well. this is sueful for non-season fighter and you have to be damm ..... give out all you have.

Fighting has never been a good feeling before & after. Unless you are brave enough and don't care how bad you will be hurt/injured. Those who can fight not because they have skill but because they are physco brave.

Else, run to the nearest crowd or main road. You cannot be jerking your knees when you need to run! I am not encouraging you to fight but like everyone said: be aware and careful.

If you get caught with a blade on you, you're going to get charged..

getting caught using a blade to cut someone with intent to cause hurt will not look good, even in self defense

question: what are you doing with a blade in the first place?

violence is never good, science (physics) will teach you what you need to know
especially how to use ambient light and your monopod

there is no 100% safe place in the world. singapore is honestly, relatively safe; there are places in the world where no local dares to roam around after the sun goes down.

personally, i think the best way to avoid such trouble is alertness, alertness, alertness. you can carry all the weapons or attend all the martial arts class you want; it doesn't matter, everything goes to naught when you are taken by surprise and by larger numbers.

prevention is better than cure. if you are hanging around a dangerous place after dark, you can be bruce lee, i don't think it will make a difference when you get a lead pipe over the back of your head.

if you are hanging around a dangerous place after dark, you can be bruce lee, i don't think it will make a difference when you get a lead pipe over the back of your head.

I watched all Bruce Lee's films at least 10 times.

I can tell you Bruce Lee will duck the lead pipe, release a blow to your groin, swipe your feet so that you fall, fly kick into your chest and finally give you a chop to the head. :bsmilie:

I can tell you Bruce Lee will duck the lead pipe, release a blow to your groin, swipe your feet so that you fall, fly kick into your chest and finally give you a chop to the head. :bsmilie:

faint.

I'm not sure if the advice to carry a knife is really that good, if the intention is to want to fight back. Unless you are a fully trained martial artist, and in a very dangerous place (which I dun see why you should be there in the first place) that knife could hurt you instead.

And yes, it does promote violence. How do you know when to attack anyway? For example, suppose someone snatches your stuff and turns violent, are you going to instinctly whip out the knife and stab him? If not, maybe let's say the person tries to use some weapon to threaten you. Are you going to use your knife as your own weapon and start a 1-1 or 1-many fight which includes multiple stabbings perhaps?

If you think it's dangerous to go alone, then personally I think there are a few choices:

1. Go with a group of people. Avoid dark lonely places as far as possible.

2. Be VERY HIGHLY trained in some form of martial arts. (This is the most difficult one which I don't think many are or even none here.)

3. Don't go to that dangerous place at all. Simple as that.

I don't feel Singapore is such an unsafe place compared to other countries but of course, robbery can happen.

As for those who think you got some background in martial arts and can protect yourself/fight back fearlessly, think again. Unlike in the dojo, in street fights, there are no rules. Even if you have a black belt, it's no guarantee you won't get killed in a fight. One wrong or slow move on your part and you can be dead. And if they come in huge numbers against you, there's a higher chance you will be whacked to a pulp.

I believe only those who are very highly trained in martial arts (not just a black belt but high dan maybe) and possibly in several different forms (no one martial arts can tackle street fights effectively) can possibly deal with several attackers or even with one who is dangerous.

Best bet is to stay away from danger as far as possible and run away from it when faced with one. Retaliate only when there is no choice. It is not worth to take any risk with your life.

Those with flash guns should be better off I believe.
Blind the attacker..

Anyway, I've just realised that with the 2 mountain climbing carabiners that I always carry to sling my camera..
Can use them as a knuckle-duster if need be.

Last edited:
i believe in the "art of fighting without fighting" quote from Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon.

Blend in to the environment. Do not stick out like a sore thumb. Lower voice volume and stay low profile. Now you know why so many macro shooters camo their gears?:bsmilie:

i believe in the "art of fighting without fighting" quote from Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon.

Blend in to the environment. Do not stick out like a sore thumb. Lower voice volume and stay low profile. Now you know why so many macro shooters camo their gears?:bsmilie:

gears blend liao but owners forgot about themselves blending in. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.