Self clean ccd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay

Nov 28, 2004
Bedok
Hi all,
Is it advisable to clean the ccd by ourself using the cleaning kit that CP selling?:think:

Regards.

I've never wanted to clean the camera myself. Always let the authorise cleaner to do it. The CCD is the most precious part of the camera. It is possible to crack the glass of the CCD with the pressure when you clean the CCD.

If you must do it with cautious then.
Gd luck.

Sure, many people do that. I do.

It is extremely difficult to scratch or crack that piece of glass. It is more troublesome to fully remove the dust on the glass.

In the mid- to long-term, the cost savings is tremendous. And you can do it at your own leisurely time, no need to bring to workshop or queue up.

Look out for someone who has done it to show you, that will be best.

how to crack the glass? o_O
self cleaning ccd is simple and easy..

Tay said:
Hi all,
Is it advisable to clean the ccd by ourself using the cleaning kit that CP selling?:think:

Regards.

Here something interesting to read. This was the article I read almost a year back when I first was contemplating doing the cleaning myself. It is not so much that I want to save money or save time over the long quene at Nikon Centre( which I have experiences previously with my SLRs servicing) but I have always try to do the servicing or cleaning myself. This is especially good when I am on vacation. This article puts a few of the myths into questions. Think it over and if you still think you rather a professional do the cleaning for you...nothing wrong with that, you are just taking the part you are more comfortable with.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml

Woh....so nice of u all providing so much info.Thks hor:thumbsup:
So wat type/brand of cleaning kits u guys using?

Regards.:)

Get good paper (Pec-pad and Kim-wipe are OK). Poor paper means fibre left behind.
Get good alcohol (Eclipse is good). Poor alcohol means lumpy dust or 'water' stains.

Work with the prescribed method. If power supply needed, get it. Also, teethered shooting will mean less card downloading. And have a clean room with no moving air.

All these sounds like some high school physics experiment with all the 'care taken steps'. :) :)

I use PEC PAD and ECLIPSE, and use ice-cream sticks. These materials are all very affordable. I also use Pec Pad and Eclipse for general lens cleaning.

Hmm...:think: anyone clean the mirror oso?

Regards.

Tay said:
Hmm...:think: anyone clean the mirror oso?

Regards.

heh... Cleaning the CCD is the most scary thing to do...after you have done that. Cleaning the mirror is "chicken feed" heheh... You only have to be just as carefully delicate with it as you would with the CCD or even the focusing screen for that matter.

You sound very apprehensive after so many replies hehe...as I say before...if you don't feel confidence doing it...send it to the shop to get it done. Thousand plus dollar investment is alot of cash...it is not that hard to justify spending at least $59 a year to get it clean by the professionals. At least if they damage it..they will have to compensate you eheheh.

I am more concern you might be too nervous to carry out the cleaning. You don't have to do it like right now...or this week or this month. Here's a tip: Try using those cotton bud, or whatever material that has been suggested here and try to clean the front element of your lens or handphone screen. Get something that has dirt or fingerprint on it. Make sure it is a small piece so you know what it is like to work on a small space. If you can clean your lens or phone screen nice and clean, you are more or less ready to do the real thing.

sorrie to hijack.

just want to ask if u guys can help..

i've read of people using a blower(gitto rocket) to charge the Visible Brush. i was just thinking if the method of using a blower(gitto rocket) to charge a nylon brush will work the same?
it will be so much cheaper.

sammy888 said:
You sound very apprehensive after so many replies hehe...as I say before...if you don't feel confidence doing it...send it to the shop to get it done. Thousand plus dollar investment is alot of cash...it is not that hard to justify spending at least $59 a year to get it clean by the professionals. At least if they damage it..they will have to compensate you eheheh.

I am more concern you might be too nervous to carry out the cleaning. You don't have to do it like right now...or this week or this month. Here's a tip: Try using those cotton bud, or whatever material that has been suggested here and try to clean the front element of your lens or handphone screen. Get something that has dirt or fingerprint on it. Make sure it is a small piece so you know what it is like to work on a small space. If you can clean your lens or phone screen nice and clean, you are more or less ready to do the real thing.

No lah..:D I'm juz curious mah.I prefer to clean it myself.Never done it before so I ask alot of question loh....hey thks for your help hah....:thumbsup:

Regards.

drumma said:
http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html?page=7

what bout this? anyone tried? just charge ur nylon brush and u are ready for some brush sweeping across ur AA filter!

I have this thing about using brush on any of my glass and definitely not the interior of my D70 heheh...I do brush my camera's body to dislogded any stuff in between the buttons, ringlets, dials...etc but to use it to clean my even my frontal element of my lens is to me a no-no. I guess there is nothing wrong but I have had some bad experiences with them early on when I use them to clear all parts of the camera and lens. The problem starts when you brush it everywhere and I picked up light lubrication in between dials and some mechanism and sometime other stuff and end up smearing them on my lens at the worst possible time heh. LIke in this picture from that same site ( picture A)And there is the breaking off of the brush's bristles. I recalled having seen a few of them stuck in the prism of my removable F3 or F4 prism head. I guess you have to ensure that the brush is only used for the CCD cleaning only and it need to be kept well away from contamination and other stuff when ot in use.

Picture A:
positive.jpg

I am happy cleaning my CCD by other means without having to use a brush so.....stick to what I know best I guess heheh...

Anyone here use a brush to pick things up? I have to assume that blowing onto the brush is to create static charge..not sure if that charge will not only attract dirt to it but if the charge would compromise the reliability of the CCD?

Tay said:
No lah..:D I'm juz curious mah.I prefer to clean it myself.Never done it before so I ask alot of question loh....hey thks for your help hah....:thumbsup:

Regards.

No problem...well it is good to get as much data before you do it but now it is time to try it! heheh....Tell us how it went. :)

sammy888 said:
I am happy cleaning my CCD by other means without having to use a brush so.....stick to what I know best I guess heheh...

so how do u clean ur ccd? mind to share? 'm still comtemplating the difference between a visible brush and a good nylon brush!!

drumma said:
so how do u clean ur ccd? mind to share? 'm still comtemplating the difference between a visible brush and a good nylon brush!!

I use light alcohol base liquid, lint-free tissue and cotton buds (lots of it) which I try to shape the tip as pointy as possible to get into the edges and corners. I take my time to do it in my room with the window close and slow blowing aircon. I use alot of bud because I personally feel when the bud catches some of those dust or oil smear..to carry on using it over the surface might just transfer it back on the surface or spread it out! heh. So I will change it ever so often and keep going over the surface gently till the surface has a mirror finish as it should be. I notice when I use a wet tip on the surface, it gets wet ( of course) but it also gets blurry and have those stain streaks on the surface that does not go away. Might be oil or whatever. The more I rub, the worst it got but as I keep changing to a new cleaner bud, I guess I was picking the smear up. In time, I guess I cleared it all up. Then do a test shoot and do another check to make double sure.

This lightly wet cleaning is really not so much for the dust specks but those particle or whatever that is sticking to the surface and can't be blown away with the puffer. Usually a few good puffs will be enough for months on ends but then when you start to get those more sticky ones, you really need to do a "deeper" clean. I notice this is the case when you don't use your gear for a month, they seem to multiply on the CCD heheh. Nah..I think those really light specks are floating about in your camera but when you don't touch your gear for a while those floating dust will start to settle. That's what I think lah. So now I store my camera with the lens aiming down in my bag or box so dust settle on the lens heheh. That's just me lah okay...am not sure if that is so but so far so good. Less dust problem.

Anyway...I will give it a good clean now every 6 months. I just clean it about 2 months back. I get some specks every now and again but nothing a good blow with the puffer can do to clear it up again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.