Seletar Camp memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoong

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

just to relive my memories,

is Seletar Camp still open for anybody to walk in? is the old airfield and old Youth flying club still around?

U may not believe it, but I used to stay in 50 Regent street which was part of the residential houses in the Camp grounds, but not for NS time. I stayed there from Primary 1 all the way to primary 4 or 5.

I remembered the landscape was completely changed since a few years ago....Gone was the old Orchid garden stretch and If i remmeber correctly, the Roti Prata shop outside the camp next to the Church was also gone. Unknown to most of the younger generations, that WAS the real Jalan Kayu Roti Prata store......(i can still distinctively remember its taste and aroma)

I used to wake up at 4-5am and walk out of my house, past the "exit" guard house and there used to be a bus depot there where i waited for #163 which then took me from the depot all the way to St. Michael's Primary school, which was at Essex Road, Thomson.

i had to pass by this particular wet market that was also very famous for fishballs and some fresh yong tau foo (or at that time i had the impression lah..) and i remembered then, the OLD SBS bus with the LONG angled Gearbox and the super loud "Pffssst" as the bus driver clutched in as well as OMO buses (which i always avoid coz my mum told me it was more expensive or it was chartered....)

The bus conductor also issued 5ct, 10ct, 15ct, 20ct panel of bus tickets and carried this pouch which contained lotsa shillings.

AHHHHHH! Those old fond memories!!!!! I used to have 2 of such "punched" bus tickets between a book which now i have trouble locating :D

I'd like to return to actually take a look and try to relive my memories. I understood from a long time neighbour that now all the houses had a wirefence around their compounds.....(we did not have that anytime and often walked over to our neighbour's front porch to let them sample some of our home cooked stuff and vice versa!)

so wondering if the old camp parade ground is still around and can we go in?

Incidentally, i went to the WetGap to have some training as well as went back to the camp for the beach assault training during my NS years

was there on tues..... erm.... get ready for some 'relocation' , dude ...:sweat:

Found this on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seletar_Airport

Wonder how accurate or current the info is...

Current operations

Seletar Airport now operates as a general aviation airport, mainly for chartered flights. As of 2007, the only scheduled services operating from Seletar are Berjaya Air's flights to Tioman and Redang. It has a single runway and 27 aircraft stands, and is opened 24 hours a day.

In 1998, Seletar Airport received 7,945 scheduled flights altogether, handling 23,919 passengers and 6,025 tons of cargo.

The Republic of Singapore Flying Club, Seletar Flying Club and Singapore Flying College are situated at Seletar Airport. The Singapore Flying College also conducts its flying training at Jandakot Airport in Perth, Western Australia and at Sunshine Coast Airport in Maroochydore, Queensland.

Another prominent flying school is the Singapore Youth Flying Club, which has its headquarters built on western side of the airport's runway. Completed in June 2001, the clubhouse also has its own parking bays for its fleet of Piper Warrior II and CT-4E.

In 2007, JTC Corporation announced the plan to upgrade the Seletar Airport to support the upcoming Seletar Aerospace Park. The plan includes the lengthening of the airport's runway from its current length to 1,800 metres and the upgrading of its avionics systems to allow bigger aircraft to land and take off.[2]

Does this mean it's closed off to public who want to jalan jalan there?

was there on tues..... erm.... get ready for some 'relocation' , dude ...:sweat:

what u mean by that?

relocation?

as in cannot go there jalan jalan and take the occasional shot?

haiz...i really wonder y Singapore everything oso must make new new.....

even old buildings are aesthetically niCE!

just ask the Europeans.....Old buildings with good and modern layout inside...basically making use of existing old structures ...... haiz....

plsoong, I'm also from 35 SCE. Ah Ho is e best. :bsmilie:

plsoong, I'm also from 35 SCE. Ah Ho is e best. :bsmilie:

erm i wasn't from 35 SCE leh.... :d

I used to stay inside there as a resident.....

but later on during NS, i had to go to the camp for beach assault training.... (we took the assault boats from 35 SCE ) :D

SO, is the place still open for public?! AhV???? what u mean?

like what they said, some of the previous sites were relocated and closed to make way for new development.... there a lot of construction and refurbishment going on in there right now...u can still visit your old house hopefully

like what they said, some of the previous sites were relocated and closed to make way for new development.... there a lot of construction and refurbishment going on in there right now...u can still visit your old house hopefully

oic.....

so technically can still go in and look look see see lah..

but the old Youth Flying Club site still there? Last time they still have some rusted out cassena or another plane model as a "landmark"

i sure hope there are still some old rundown buildings around......else....haiz...

i was from combat engineers camp in seletar, i really miss Ah Ho canteen, Wet Gap, 'Dragon Door' canteen :sweat:

Oic, I tot u also from 35 SCE. :bsmilie:

but later on during NS, i had to go to the camp for beach assault training.... (we took the assault boats from 35 SCE ) :D

Yo Bro, i didn't know u also from 35 SCE. haha. Now no more Ah Ho liao. :sweat:

i was from combat engineers camp in seletar, i really miss Ah Ho canteen, Wet Gap, 'Dragon Door' canteen :sweat:

During NS, I was posed there to learn driving. :bsmilie: West Camp, ultra slack. My waist ballooned by 2 inches when i was there.

Yo Bro, i didn't know u also from 35 SCE. haha. Now no more Ah Ho liao. :sweat:

ya..memories of wet gap, slipway, boatshed, MT hanger etc..

so what happen to Ah Ho ? i missed the bread with fried egg, the ice milo and special fried rice !

Last edited:
i went to jalan jalan in jan this year. free access except military areas.

i went to jalan jalan in jan this year. free access except military areas.

but the old youth flying club and the old barrack / parade ground and aircraft runway still can go ? or all demolished and gonded liao?

I'm looking for those OLD but not completely broken down structures/buildings that bears heritage to the past

Ah Ho retired liao. I miss his chilli ho fun. :cry:

ya..memories of wet gap, slipway, boatshed, MT hanger etc..

so what happen to Ah Ho ? i missed the bread with fried egg, the ice milo and special fried rice !

in jan, can still find them, but most are boarded up. ready for demolition.

but the old youth flying club and the old barrack / parade ground and aircraft runway still can go ? or all demolished and gonded liao?

I'm looking for those OLD but not completely broken down structures/buildings that bears heritage to the past

Status
Not open for further replies.