Selecting a Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan831

Mar 30, 2005
Hi guys, i'm a sec 3 student and i just saved just enough to buy the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro or Tamron 28-75.

After saving for like: 5 months, i finally have enough to buy this lens. Thus, i hope you guys would advice me on how i can get a good copy of this lens, as i have heard that some of the 24-70 Sigmas are very sharp while some are soft wide open. Can you guys give me tips on how to select a good lens while in the store? Someone has told me before that i should bring a notebook down to analyze the shots i take with different copies of the lens. Is this what i should do? i've never walked into AP or CP and see anyone with a notebook analyzing the different shots. So what should i do to ensure i get a good copy?

I dont want to get a lemon copy after saving up for so long:D

Actually not many ppl buy lens and use computer to analyze.
Normally u just see the body marking got any scratch, turn the aperture and zoom ring feel smooth or not, open the aperture the widest and look through a bring light (shop fluorescent light or outdoor cloudy sky sunlight), look both way front and back, finally check the accessory and warranty card are ok.

I understand your anxiety to spend hard-saved money on your lens. I really do.

Such procedures as you described are often used by professionals to check for the "best" lenses in a cohort. The professionals are of course paid to get images, and everything must work well. Hence they have professional grade cameras, to "ensure" that equipments do not breakdown when you are in the antartica. Hence they have to have good stuff.

But we are amateurs. And I seriously doubt you can tell minor differences amongst lenses. I certainly cannot! But let me tell you about the late Galen Rowell. He used a small/light Nikon and a consumer lens, and produce great images, because he had great vision.

So like what Astin said, just go and test the lens. Make sure they look new, lens is clean, focussing is smooth, and the image in your viewfinder appears OK.

Then go and make images!

Astin said:
Actually not many ppl buy lens and use computer to analyze.
Normally u just see the body marking got any scratch, turn the aperture and zoom ring feel smooth or not, open the aperture the widest and look through a bring light (shop fluorescent light or outdoor cloudy sky sunlight), look both way front and back, finally check the accessory and warranty card are ok.
Look through front and back? Do you mean look from the front of the lens into the lens, and then do the reverse? what should i look out for when looking through the viewfinder?

Bryan831 said:
Look through front and back? Do you mean look from the front of the lens into the lens, and then do the reverse? what should i look out for when looking through the viewfinder?
Ok lah today happy mood, tell u more.
1st u look from front to back like this:
DSC_8204ps1.jpg

Then u look from back to front like this:
DSC_8203ps1.jpg

Usually u would see some dust inside the lens, thats normal, if u dont like dust then ask the salesman to change to another one for u, usually they will change. U should not see fungus inside, fungus look like tiny spider web, usually white colour.

ok thanks very much you guys for helping me

Status
Not open for further replies.