Selatar Morning Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumnaam

Apr 23, 2007
Hougang, Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I'm a newbie...... went to Selatar for early morning shot......

I'm not sure how exactly it goes with the composition, but what i liked is the homogeneous transition of sky color from blue to light one. Boats also provide a good contrast....... Anyways, that's my personal opinion........i know i have least knowledge about those things.......waiting for your comments

Settings 1/50 sec, f/22, 18 mm, used tripod.

1427749996_5115c4998f.jpg

1) horizon is tilted, very obvious immediately
2) tree behind coconut tree is extremely distracting, boats you don't really have control - but that you have, change your angle
3) try to include whole tree, you chop off a little bit on the right
4) good try at composition, but can be improved as above
5) one more thing, why do you use f/22? dof is good, but try not to go above f/16, will have diffraction effect - which means images will be softer, not very visible at this sizae perhaps but at larger sizes can be seen, try to stick to f/8 and stop around f/13, unless you have special reason for doing so, i.e. want to extend shutter speed; here i don't see any need to extend shutter speed, reservoir water is almost always very very calm unless there is strong wind, and 1/50 or 1/200 or whatever using a larger (but not very large) aperture setting will make no difference with regards to "smoothing out water" , if you ask me

okay..
1. dont know if its my screen or what but i would prefer it a tad bid brighter.
2. grass at the lower corner is a little bit distracting.
3. what is your main focus of your picture? the tree or the boats? if its the tree, then the boats are distracting but provides some contrast.
4. there's a dust spot at the middle of the picture.
5. silhouette works well.
6. good capture of the transition of colours.
7. good job for waking up early and capturing the sunrise (=
8. take note of the tree behind the coconut tree.
9. shouldn't use such a small apperture
10. tilted horizon
11. composition is okay but lots can be improved on

keep shooting (= i'm not that experienced either

cheers! =D

quite a nice picture.

commendable effort.

Hi night86mare,

Thanks a lot for your comments.....

If you don't mind, can i ask you one more thing........ if the surrounding light is too high (like this case), and i was to go in for the long exposure (5-10 sec) for the place where it needs to be smoothed....... how is possible............rather........ is it possible

Thanks a lot bro.....

Dust on sensor and tilted horizon others have already mentioned.

With the verticle frame, I cannot figure whether the main subject of interest are the boats or the tree, both competing for attention. But from your write up, you liked the sky, then maybe a horizontal frame might be more suitable.

Hi night86mare,

Thanks a lot for your comments.....

If you don't mind, can i ask you one more thing........ if the surrounding light is too high (like this case), and i was to go in for the long exposure (5-10 sec) for the place where it needs to be smoothed....... how is possible............rather........ is it possible

Thanks a lot bro.....
yes, of course

but the thing is, you are shooting at reservoir, most of the time rough water not present at reservoir, 1/8 seconds more than enough to smooth out water, in fact you are so far away, don't even need that much, the nearer you are then the more time is needed, experiment and you will realise roughly how much you need based on situation

if you really, really really have a long exposure fetish, whether it is required or not (in this case not very advisable, cos wind might blow your coconut tree then your coconut tree will be blur sia).. there is such a thing known as neutral density filter, basically just cuts off light, something like sunglasses for your camera but not really, then you can use same aperture setting, but longer exposure

there are many types of nd filter, got screw in type also got square slot-in type, not sure what camera you are using, but if you are using dslr makes more sense to get cokin p series filter holder, then you can use filters for all your lenses, just one set. if not different filter thread size need one set for each, quite mar fun

okay..
1. dont know if its my screen or what but i would prefer it a tad bid brighter.
2. grass at the lower corner is a little bit distracting.
3. what is your main focus of your picture? the tree or the boats? if its the tree, then the boats are distracting but provides some contrast.
4. there's a dust spot at the middle of the picture.
5. silhouette works well.
6. good capture of the transition of colours.
7. good job for waking up early and capturing the sunrise (=
8. take note of the tree behind the coconut tree.
9. shouldn't use such a small apperture
10. tilted horizon
11. composition is okay but lots can be improved on

keep shooting (= i'm not that experienced either

cheers! =D

Hi littlejt, Thanks a lot

I was focussing at coconut tree..... but then somehow i felt it looked a bid dull..... i mean something was missing in that composition ........... i couldn't make out what....... then i decided to give a contrast using these boats.........

After you pointed out then i realized the dust.........crap..... again have to go to Canon service center...:(

After you pointed out then i realized the dust.........crap..... again have to go to Canon service center...:(

might want to try to learn cleaning ccd/sensor on your own
saves a lot of trouble to go to service centre, waiting, pricing, etc
not that hard, a lot of people here do it, just careful can already

of course if it's under warranty (not sure if canon cleans for free) you can just pop by and do that; but honestly i don't see the advantage of getting a tech to get it, just that if he screws it up you have someone else to take responsibility, it isn't rocket science :bsmilie:

Hi night86mare, littlejt, grumpy

Please bear with my stupid question.....:what:

From your comments i somehow felt that it would have been better if there was either boat or coconut tree ( i mean only the one needs to be in the photo)........ here i have question.....

(this is for general scenario...... not specific to this one) if it is required to make a good contrast, then it should be only between the foreground and the background....... or background can be taken as the support, and more than one objects can be used to give a good contrast?

I don't know somehow i am more inclined towards the second option and that's why i tried to put both these two ....... but that's just my thinking :confused:(and probably not correct as always..)

Would really appreciate ur help....:)

Please bear with my stupid question...

From your comments i somehow felt that it would have been better if there was either boat or coconut tree ( i mean only the one needs to be in the photo)........ here i have question.....

(this is for general scenario...... not specific to this one) if it is required to make a good contrast, then it should be only between the foreground and the background....... or background can be taken as the support, and more than one objects can be used to give a good contrast?

I don't know somehow i am more inclined towards the second option and that's why i tried to put both these two ....... but that's just my thinking :confused:(and probably not correct as always..)

Would really appreciate ur help....
you could place more than one subject in the photograph, that's for sure, but it is not easy, if you want to get an idea of how to do it, look at eikin's photos, hope he doesn't mind if i kope his pictures to illustrate such example because i can never do it myself

kagurazaka43.jpg

hope you get a idea what i mean - his scene is cluttered, full of objects and things to look at, but somehow it is arranged in an aesthetically pleasing manner, at least to me; and there are no real use of rules of composition or what not here, not that i can see at first glance anyways

the trouble is finding the order in the mess, as i call it, not easy, one good way is to prioritise your choice of focus first, and of course your "contrasts in subjects" have to be substantially self-explanatory. for me, i have no idea what contrast there is between coconut tree and boat? :dunno:

this is one of zaren's photos, sadly he has not been posting in his apad

83386432.jpg

i would call this self-explanatory contrast :thumbsup:

Most has been said already... Just want to note...

Don't bother with the dust, part of the reason why you see it is because of a small aperture, i doubt if that'll show up at f/11 or so

might want to try to learn cleaning ccd/sensor on your own
saves a lot of trouble to go to service centre, waiting, pricing, etc
not that hard, a lot of people here do it, just careful can already

of course if it's under warranty (not sure if canon cleans for free) you can just pop by and do that; but honestly i don't see the advantage of getting a tech to get it, just that if he screws it up you have someone else to take responsibility, it isn't rocket science :bsmilie:

Hi night86mare,

After you pointed out, i browsed though the Clubsnap and found this one
http://www.clubsnap.com/display.php?file=articles/CCDCleaning/CCDCleaning.html

It doesn't seems to be very difficult, just that one has to be bit cautious:bigeyes:.......afterall CCD is CCD :)

Will try myself next time whenever required.

and of course your "contrasts in subjects" have to be substantially self-explanatory

Once again.. thanks a lot night86mare.............now i think i got the point to some some extent..... in photography when we say "Contrast", we mean contrast in subject.............. i always thought it in terms of the Image Processing, where it is referred to with references to the color (may be because of my background :( )......anyways, now i'm clear what littlejt meant when he said

"what is your main focus of your picture? the tree or the boats? "

:thumbsup:

Gumnaam, I like this picture... Just photoshop on it (if needed) and is good for anything - print A3 size and hang up onto the living room wall.
You can have 3000 people with 6000 opinions/comments.
If you are taking singular subject this of course you'll know is not appropriate. Here i see you got your own style and view. Keep it up... (Break away from the Rules/Guide and take new pictures) Happy Shooting... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.