Seen the new NeoTec Tripod by manfrotto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hptay

Dec 12, 2002
www.pbase.com
Just wondering if anyone has seen this tripod in action before? All the stuff built into it seem pretty amazing. :D

http://www.manfrotto.com/neotec/default.htm

Taken from the site
===============
At the heart of the NEOTEC is our innovative leg locking mechanism that has no levers, screws or knobs... you simply pull the legs downwards to open and lock them in place at any extension, in a split second. Designed for professional use, the NEOTEC is ideal for both 35mm and medium format cameras, and has all the added features that make Manfrotto products leaders in their class.

looks good... wonder how it feels thou, but i would prefer to get the monopod 1st... is CP going to bring this in? with the action ball head?

the tripod is a little too short, if its fully extended about 1.7m would be nice...

hi del,

havent a clue is CP is goin to or has already brought it in... i'm still pretty green when it comes to all the hardware..
still using a free tripod that came with my 300d... hahaha

Going down to CP this evening. Going to check it out with the uncle able the Tripod ...hope they got the stock to try try..hehe :blah:

Respawn : test liao post mini review hor... :D

carbon fibre ah.... wonder if next tripod evolution ==> titanium ?

got the info below off a bike site about materials used for bike frames...

Titanium:
The dream material! It is lighter than anything else, very strong, does not rust, does not fatigue, and produces very responsive bike. So what’s the catch? Titanium, while relatively cheap by itself, is very difficult to cut and weld, so titanium frames are expensive.

Carbon Fibre:
Also called a composite, this is a mixture of a matting of carbon threads and epoxy resin - like fibreglass but using carbon threads instead of glass. Carbon fibre is strong and light, and because the manufacturer can decide which direction the fibres go, the frame can be made stiff in one direction and springy in another. Because all these layers need to be bonded together properly though, it is expensive, and it can also be quite delicate

EGAH!! titanium casing for all out cams and lens + industrial grade diamond lens + plutonium powered cells..... imagination goin siao..

Went down to CP yesterday...haiz...
The uncle say the Manfrotto Neotec tripod not yet come to Singapore :angry: and he say not very new, has been out for around 6 months liao.

He also dunno the price of it and when is it coming in. :(

hptay said:

Titanium:
The dream material! It is lighter than anything else, very strong, does not rust, does not fatigue, and produces very responsive bike. So what’s the catch? Titanium, while relatively cheap by itself, is very difficult to cut and weld, so titanium frames are expensive.

Carbon Fibre:
Also called a composite, this is a mixture of a matting of carbon threads and epoxy resin - like fibreglass but using carbon threads instead of glass. Carbon fibre is strong and light, and because the manufacturer can decide which direction the fibres go, the frame can be made stiff in one direction and springy in another. Because all these layers need to be bonded together properly though, it is expensive, and it can also be quite delicate

EGAH!! titanium casing for all out cams and lens + industrial grade diamond lens + plutonium powered cells..... imagination goin siao..
Are u sure u talking about a camera, not the space shuttle? haha...

hi respawn,

alamak... me dig up old stuff n tot that they are new toys ah.. so malu.. but then again.. if the ahpek say not new.. how come he never import to sg... hmmm

yo nickmak,

space shuttle power in the palm of your hand.... imagine how cool (or expensive) it will be to make something in that league. Mebbi canon will wanna consider something like what OMEGA did.. then Neil Armsttong can then say " Canon Camera.. the only camera to ever been used on the moon...?

hahaha :D Seriously, if such a camera exist, can probably fight off a mob by swinging it around like a mace... wont break one...

actually, i believe the first camera used on the moon was a nikon. the F3 if i'm not mistaken? it was used for the apollo missions. NASA still picks nikon up till today for space walks i think.

Went to get a rough gauge of the prices of the new tripod/monopod @ B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=A33fizipyZ!512617970?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=neotec

:bigeyes:

It costs almost like the carbon fibre tripods...

hptay said:

Titanium:

Yeah, titanium is very strong, and light. But Magnesium alloy is chosen for camera bodies becos it is even lighter than aluminum and titanium, not as strong though, but good enough for camera bodies.

However, titianium has been very successfully used for golf clubs where both strength and lightweight are important properties.

Hmmm, when I saw the cool Manfrotto website, I was thinking, Yeah, that's how a tripod SHOULD be opened and closed! Why don't they invent all tripods like that?

Actually the design concept is not new and stopped production by Linhof around 99. It was for a monopod and Adorama now makes a similar one, pretty expensive and not much good except for resting your equipment.
The Manfrotto design takes it to a higher stage with a easier grip for closing. Actually a very good idea and at least all monopod should be made this way.

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=411&page_number=1&preview=

and http://www.adorama.com/TPP.html

kiwi2 said:
Hmmm, when I saw the cool Manfrotto website, I was thinking, Yeah, that's how a tripod SHOULD be opened and closed! Why don't they invent all tripods like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.