Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
from tools for professionals to anyone can take GREAT shots with DSLR.

might be reflecting that dslr body cost is so low now that its reaching a majority of consumers.

But it seems to me that most people that hang this piece of necklace around their neck uses it in Auto mode, whats the point..?

I think they are doing 2 prong...

Lower end are marketed as anyone can take great shots with DSLR & Top end are marketed as tools for professional.

If you look at the ads, they are pretty specific to the models that it was for... Except that, in recent years, Canon has been getting some famous fellows (to be specific, actors) to market the cam, for the mid range ones assuming 7D is mid range. Ahahahah

Welcome to the consumerism generation.

it is just a marketing gimmick, it apply on any consumer products you can think of, telling the consumers that this products can produce excellence results, even better than the professional does, or the choice of professionals.

even a toothbush can also claim it can clean your teeth better than a dentist.
strange isn't it? but most people love to hear this and buy this story.

it is all along been that way, just that most people don't really notice.

might be reflecting that dslr body cost is so low now that its reaching a majority of consumers.
all major camera brands statistic show that PnS, digitcam, generate more than 80% of their annual turnover.

so noting is shift, just that whenever is possible, any manufactures will target their products at the mass market.

Yup, if DSLR makers only target the professionals, they won't make much profits.

Yup, if DSLR makers only target the professionals, they won't make much profits.

:bsmilie: i caught the jap actor using auto before switching to manual during the ad. kept laughing.

well. its still the guy behind the camera right?:)

never shifted, just that price has gone down so it is more obvious.

a few years back an entry level dslr was definitely above $1k.

when dslrs were first introduced they were crazy mad expensive.

nowadays, you can get a start up dslr kit brand new for $600 thereabouts. spending power has gone up. what's new?

in the past, handphones when first introduced were also like that, are you going to say marketing for handphones has shifted? no! just that technological advancements and exploitation of cheaper labour has gotten more widespread to drive down the costs of producing these items...

Last edited:
There's a saying that "today's extreme is tomorrow's mainstream".
SLRs used to be only for the "extreme" photographer (extreme in the sense of cost and capability) just a few years back; now it's mainstream.

MFs/LFs next?

There's a saying that "today's extreme is tomorrow's mainstream".
SLRs used to be only for the "extreme" photographer (extreme in the sense of cost and capability) just a few years back; now it's mainstream.

MFs/LFs next?

why not?:bsmilie: i'll be happy.

those who are good, will still be good. even if stuff gets cheaper.

MFs/LFs next?

probably not in the near future.

also, issues of portability - unless they manage to shrink the form significantly, i don't think most people want to hang a MF back around their necks.

never shifted, just that price has gone down so it is more obvious.

a few years back an entry level dslr was definitely above $1k.

when dslrs were first introduced they were crazy mad expensive.

nowadays, you can get a start up dslr kit brand new for $600 thereabouts. spending power has gone up. what's new?

in the past, handphones when first introduced were also like that, are you going to say marketing for handphones has shifted? no! just that technological advancements and exploitation of cheaper labour has gotten more widespread to drive down the costs of producing these items...
can't imagine last time I DID paid nearly $3k for a water bottle size Ta Ker Ta....... :complain:

Technology advancement has made things cheaper and cheaper things better. Hooray.

Now i dont have to spend a "bomb" to buy that huge chunky "professional" DSLR or spend time reading the manual to figure out how to ensure that i get great holiday photos ... :)

probably not in the near future.

also, issues of portability - unless they manage to shrink the form significantly, i don't think most people want to hang a MF back around their necks.

I'm waiting for the day a proper 6x6 Hassy MF with digital back would be the cost of current DSLR :bsmilie:

10years I think :)

can't imagine last time I DID paid nearly $3k for a water bottle size Ta Ker Ta....... :complain:
hehehe I was still an infant when tai kor tai came out .... kekekekeke

televisions are another area that have undergone huge price decrease due to advancement in technology. I remember my dad paying about 3K for a big-a$$ CRT tv which weighed a ton and took up so much space, and yet offered such a pathetic viewing area (by today's standards).

I'm waiting for the day a proper 6x6 Hassy MF with digital back would be the cost of current DSLR :bsmilie:

10years I think :)

You don't have long to wait.

Seagull camera is putting a 22MP sensor on its twin-lens reflect camera: :)

seagull.jpg

Yeah I remember carrying one around in my pocket back in the early 90s but my pants pecah when I sat down for a coffee. Fed up I smack it on the table;( and all around me thought I'm Ah Long:sweat:

But it seems to me that most people that hang this piece of necklace around their neck uses it in Auto mode, whats the point..?

Don't they know most DSLRs have:

Pleasure Mode: The camera will vibrate.

Peeping Tom Mode: A series of of semi-nude girl photos will appear in viewfinder.

Paris Mode: Eiffel Tower will appear behind the person you shoot.

Restaurant Manu Mode: Photos of freshly cooked Oriental meals will appear in viewfinder.

I Am Lost Mode: Arrow will appear in viewfinder to direct you to nearest MRT station.

:bsmilie:

Don't they know most DSLRs have:

Pleasure Mode: The camera will vibrate.

Peeping Tom Mode: A series of of semi-nude girl photos will appear in viewfinder.

Paris Mode: Eiffel Tower will appear behind the person you shoot.

Restaurant Manu Mode: Photos of freshly cooked Oriental meals will appear in viewfinder.

I Am Lost Mode: Arrow will appear in viewfinder to direct you to nearest MRT station.

:bsmilie:

LOL!!!

I think DSLR has shifted to become fashion statement instead.. btw, what is Ta Ker Ta?:sweat: