seeking opinions for a simple home studio set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayne

Jun 5, 2006
Hi there,

I would like to gather some thoughts on a list of home studio lighting kit given to me by photography books. Here goes:

List:
3 x 250 watt photoflood bulbs
3 x Flood reflectors
1 x Spot reflector
3 x Light stands

I'm wondering if the light stands will fit all light heads? (It probably does... :dunno:)
What are the commonly used brands you guys are using?
What will the prices be like?
Where can I buy these things?

Types of shoot:
This is my first attempt at indoor lighting. Purpose of this set up is just to pick up a new skill and probably move on to learning how to light portraits and still life.

I'm particularly interested in using this home studio kit to learn more about solid forms, texture and transparent glow.

Size of location:
I'll probably be doing most of the picture taking in my room which is fairly small. I'll probaby set aside an 8 feet wide and 12 feet high area.

I googled www.bhphotovideo.com but they have an enormous variety to select from. Short of buying whatever "looks decent" I'd really appreciate if anyone with experience in studio lighting/equipment can point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot. :)

what you mention is hot light, aka continuous light, it' is cheaper alternative to start a home studio, but it also generate a lot of heats. so depend is your room air con or not, and what are you shooting.

you may check out the studio light kits sell by eastgear, just sub 1k for you to start with your home studio.

Hi catchlights,

My room has no aircon. If this set of lights are unsuitable for a home studio without aircon, is there an alternative set up? Or any particular brand I can look out for?

With this set of lights, I intend to take still life (miniature objects such as fruits etc) and portraits.

Ok thanks I'll check out Eastgear shop.

It will very very hot during the shoot.

you can't use fan, as sometime the wind blowing on you or the subjects are very irritating while you shoot.

Hi catchlights,

Thanks for the advice so far. One last question, so for this list of stuff will cost me around 1K?

hmmm. If I remember correctly, eastgear set is below 1k, you may check out the regular MO guys to see do they selling similar set.

Hi catchlights,

Ok thanks a lot for all the tips. :)

I saw a banner advertising a 2-head set for 899 (?) at Ruby. Anyway its only across the road from EG... so you can pop by to take a look too.

the floods is a good idea thou...

but have you estimated the cost of the startup already ? :dunno:

You will need, in addition to the lighting kit, the following:

1) Backgrounds

2) Background stands (Ruby sells a set at about $300)

3) Light modifiers, i.e. softboxes and/or umbrellas, snoot (desirable but not necessary),

4) Flash triggers (various types available - cord, infrared or wireles) if you are using strobes

5) Light meter - so you can adjust the intensity of your lights.

If I were to advise you, I would advise that you go for a course in studio portraiture where you will pick up knowledge of what you need to do in a studio and also what equipment you will require. I went for such a course conducted by SAFRA and benefited a lot from it. It is not too expensive IMO.

You will need, in addition to the lighting kit, the following:

1) Backgrounds

2) Background stands (Ruby sells a set at about $300)

3) Light modifiers, i.e. softboxes and/or umbrellas, snoot (desirable but not necessary),

4) Flash triggers (various types available - cord, infrared or wireles) if you are using strobes

5) Light meter - so you can adjust the intensity of your lights.

If I were to advise you, I would advise that you go for a course in studio portraiture where you will pick up knowledge of what you need to do in a studio and also what equipment you will require. I went for such a course conducted by SAFRA and benefited a lot from it. It is not too expensive IMO.
Sorry for these, don't intend to be rude, just giving some pieces of advice to keep the cost lower for newbie to start with home studio, hope you can understand.

to TS or whoever interested with home studio, do some reading about lighting first, how light can give form, shape, texture and mood on the subjects, you may find lots of info in the national library or the net.
as for the additional items..

1) & 2) is when you need to shoot portraits, can make do with some fabric you find from "spotlights", some bamboo sticks, use PVC pipe to DIY also very interesting. btw, start with half body portrait only, so you may learn fast and more. for small still life, just need a normal table, plus some art paper from art friends or fancy paper, buy the bigger piece of paper which you able to find.

for 3), if you buy a kit set, it should come with it.

for 4), you may use sync cable (it included in the kits set), or your hotshoe flash, remember to set your hotshoe flash to manual mode, cut down to the lowest power till it still able to trigger the strobe, also don't aim your flash to your subjects, ceiling is fine.

5), flash (light) meter is for you to measuring the flash light, you can get away with this if you measuring the light by reading the LCD on your DSLR, for multiple lights set up, measure individual lights first, than a overall exposure. anyway, a lowend flash meter is less than $300.

Hope these help.

well..... i think catchlights has given the best answer . :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.