Seeking Info on which DSLR choice to pick

patricktango

Dec 21, 2010
Hi guys , i'm a newbie here looking to get a 2nd hand DSLR and am hoping to get opinions from you guys ;)
I've found 2 sellers who's selling

1st)
Canon E0S 550D with 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens for $1,300

2nd)
Canon EOS 550D with 18-135mm lens for $1,300

i'm really caught up with which a dilemma with which choice should i actually choose .

Can anyone here advice me with the pros and cons with each choice? i've been reading up quite a bit and still would be best if i can hear some opinions . I would go more towards food/ portraits photography :D

thanks!

Since you do food and portraiture, find a 550D with an 18-55, then get a 50mm f1.8.

Last edited:
Since you do food and portraiture, find a 550D with an 18-55, then get a 50mm f1.8.
i have to totally agree with you..

TS, You can actually check out sony that is having this promo with the free 50mm/f1.8 with some of their model.. pretty good deal.. Seems to serve u better. Just a thought. :)

hehe thanks will check the sony cam which you recommended!

most likely i'll pick the first choice then ! heh thanks a lot :) :thumbsup:

Hi guys , i'm a newbie here looking to get a 2nd hand DSLR and am hoping to get opinions from you guys ;)

1st)

2nd)

i'm really caught up with which a dilemma with which choice should i actually choose .

Can anyone here advice me with the pros and cons with each choice? i've been reading up quite a bit and still would be best if i can hear some opinions . I would go more towards food/ portraits photography :D

thanks!

you can use your preferred working zoom range to decide.
for 135mm on a 550D - 4.32 times magnification
and 200mm on a 550D - 6.4 times magnification

PS. 135 x 1.6 / 50 = 4.32

1st)

2nd)

thanks!

Between the 2 options, I'd go for option 1.

hey Rawbeansta , wanna share why you actually prefer option 1 more ? ;p

Option 1 allows you to cover the focal length from 18 - 250, while option 2 ranges from 18 - 135mm only.

It's purely a logical reason on my part as some people may prefer option 2 (1 lens, less hassle, no need to change lens, etc.).

Not much differences to me for your choices. Like what was mentioned boils down to how willing are you to change your lens as and when you need.

Honestly speaking , 18-55 range is the most commonly used range on apsc . If there's any reason you need longer reach, you need to think through to see why you need the reach.

Normally my tele zoom lens are the most under utilized lens. Only bring them out for specific situation where I need the reach. For eg. Going to zoo ,bird park , covering some events.

So ask yourself why you need a long zoom. It's good to have is a valid reason but may not be for others.

hehe thanks will check the sony cam which you recommended!

most likely i'll pick the first choice then ! heh thanks a lot :) :thumbsup:
yeah.. the sony ones are brand new and might even cost less than what you have here..

18-55 should let u shoot pretty decent food photos while an additional 50mm 1.8 will let u shoot awesome portraits.. (I am assuming u are shooting mostly people)