Seeking good advices on Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakThru

Oct 27, 2004
Hi all, need good advices from kind souls regarding tripod. I am not really a tripod user as I prefer to shoot handheld. Nevertheless I have decided to invest in one good solid tripod for future use.

I would really appreciate advice and info sharing (esp the price) of tripods for this equipments setup : D200 with AFS70-200 & SB800. (or D200 with either Tamron 180/Nikkor 200mm Micro)

And by the way, also may I ask what kind of tripod setup is used for macro photography? I am thinking of investing into Macro too...

Thank you very much for your time. :)

BreakThru said:
Hi all, need good advices from kind souls regarding tripod. I am not really a tripod user as I prefer to shoot handheld. Nevertheless I have decided to invest in one good solid tripod for future use.

I would really appreciate advice and info sharing (esp the price) of tripods for this equipments setup : D200 with AFS70-200 & SB800. (or D200 with either Tamron 180/Nikkor 200mm Micro)

And by the way, also may I ask what kind of tripod setup is used for macro photography? I am thinking of investing into Macro too...

Thank you very much for your time. :)

phaw... where u disappear to? ;p

wat sort of macro? if hunting butterflies and other bugs, a monopod is recommended cos it allows u to move faster. static subjects - all depends on ur wallet. carbon-fibre tripods from gitzo or manfrottos costs a bomb (upwards of $200) but easier to lug ard. are u getting a pan-tilt head or a ballhead for ur tripod? for ur proposed setup, think u need those heavy-duty ones like the manfrotto 488RC4 ballhead (max load 8kg). i'm using it together with the manfrotto 055ProB (cost ard $130). there are other even heavier-duty ballheads sold at CP, but going for $300+ onwards.

time to drop in on CP... :sweatsm:

You may want to consider Gitzo 1128 or something similar in that range. It can take a body+plus the 70-200, max 4kg i think. Its compact and easy to lug around. But if you're planning to upgrade your lens then the Gitzo 1228 might serve your better in the long run.

Also, take a look at the Kangrinpoche NB2a+P4 plate for the ball head.

For me, I am using a $40 tripod. Cheap Cheap one. But very unstable when meet a very big wind...Ha ha...I am now looking for a more decent tripod too. This is a good thread. Keep it up, so I can know what is more suitable for me too.

And maybe can discuss about ball head or pan head too. What is the main difference beside the spelling and looks..ha ha

My $40 tripod looks not stable when I press the shuttle in timer mode of 2 seconds. Before it get stable, the shuttle start taking photo. Ha.Then I have to make the timer 5 seconds. Everything works well too.

Is there like a list price for tripods??

Hello! Thanks for your reply & imar's too. Appreciate them.

I have returned... can't find time for clubsnap for awhile. back few months ago was due to computer down with virus. :angry:

Anyway, I started shooting insects and flowers. Mostly nature photography. I am not well verse with tripod brands and makes. So I guess I'll just take your recommendations. So how much will I need to prepare? manfrotto 055ProB is not at almost 200 bucks? Thought I heard it from a friend before...

So... is CP the best place to get tripods? How about the other shops like for eg TK?

Oh btw, what is the sliding plate thing with a bellow for macro photography call??

Carbon fibre tripods are lighter in weight??

Thank you so much for your time and help... :D

nightwolf75 said:
phaw... where u disappear to? ;p

wat sort of macro? if hunting butterflies and other bugs, a monopod is recommended cos it allows u to move faster. static subjects - all depends on ur wallet. carbon-fibre tripods from gitzo or manfrottos costs a bomb (upwards of $200) but easier to lug ard. are u getting a pan-tilt head or a ballhead for ur tripod? for ur proposed setup, think u need those heavy-duty ones like the manfrotto 488RC4 ballhead (max load 8kg). i'm using it together with the manfrotto 055ProB (cost ard $130). there are other even heavier-duty ballheads sold at CP, but going for $300+ onwards.

time to drop in on CP... :sweatsm:

Ohh... guess I would need Gitzo 1228 atleast then. Uhh.. pardon me for asking, which brand (manfrotto, Gitzo, etc) is better? interms of weight, stability, cost, userfriendliness, etc...

Thanks.

imar said:
You may want to consider Gitzo 1128 or something similar in that range. It can take a body+plus the 70-200, max 4kg i think. Its compact and easy to lug around. But if you're planning to upgrade your lens then the Gitzo 1228 might serve your better in the long run.

Also, take a look at the Kangrinpoche NB2a+P4 plate for the ball head.

BreakThru said:
Hello! Thanks for your reply & imar's too. Appreciate them.

I have returned... can't find time for clubsnap for awhile. back few months ago was due to computer down with virus. :angry:

Anyway, I started shooting insects and flowers. Mostly nature photography. I am not well verse with tripod brands and makes. So I guess I'll just take your recommendations. So how much will I need to prepare? manfrotto 055ProB is not at almost 200 bucks? Thought I heard it from a friend before...

So... is CP the best place to get tripods? How about the other shops like for eg TK?

Oh btw, what is the sliding plate thing with a bellow for macro photography call??

Carbon fibre tripods are lighter in weight??

Thank you so much for your time and help... :D

bellow thingy? izit a focusing rail? :dunno:

TK also have some tripods. but their selection might not as extensive as CP. anyway, i might drop in on TK later ard 5+. if u happened to be ard there, just drop by? i'm sure they can help u. ;)

BreakThru said:
Ohh... guess I would need Gitzo 1228 atleast then. Uhh.. pardon me for asking, which brand (manfrotto, Gitzo, etc) is better? interms of weight, stability, cost, userfriendliness, etc...

Thanks.
1228 has been replaced by 1258.

Papilio did mention that a monopod would prove to be more useful than a tripod for macro shooting moving objects.

If you intend to buy a tripod for daily usage, you might want to forget the 055 PRO, it's too frickin' heavy to even consider bringing it out for use.

You can consider however the micro-fibre version - 055 MF, which is, well, a bit lighter. The Gitzo 1258 CF can be lifted with just 1 finger however ;p (so, you can see which one's lighter?).

Ballhead will be very dependant, and I think the normal ballheads used for static shooting will not satisfy the speed and agility you require to track, shoot portrait/landscape but the Kangrinpoche should support your setup easily. However, when using it to shoot moving objects you will face a certain degree of instability + difficulty.

I speak from experience using a Markins M10 supporting a AF-S 500 f/4 with a D2X at the bird outing earlier (1 week ago), support is of no issue, but the agility and speed in changing orientation & tracking the subject is a bit of an issue because of the equipment's weight and ballhead design.

However, using chngpe01's Gimbal ballhead with the AF-S 200-400 f/4 VR + D2X, the agility and stability has improved better, of course, not saying you must buy it la. But consider carefully if you do need a tripod, or not if you're shooting fast moving macro subjects.

my budget... uhh, not more than 500 bucks.
max load will be up to perhaps 4-5KG
I am almost 1.8m

Thanks.

ortega said:
what is your budget?
and max load?
And your height?

I use the 055 MF, center column removed, with a Feisol ballhead(looks like a Arca Swiss knock-off). Very light and handy combo. Being a lazy *******, I just have to pay the extra $$ for weight savings. I also have a manfrotto pan and tilt with focusing rail attached. :p

Well, in the first place, do consider the maximum load your tripod and head is going to take (i.e. the total weight of the heaviest lens + the camera body and flash system)

Then when you reach that figure, you work on the tripods as well as heads which fit into this range.

For e.g.

the tripod which was reccommended to my working place for a basic set up of a D100 + 70-300AF plus mebbe a SB 600 was rated at 5kg max weight for the tripod and 8kg for the head.

Manfrotto 190CLB +
Manfrotto 488RC2

Then the most important factor comes in. How much weight are you willing to lug around?
The set which I mentioned comes together at about 2.57kg. So consider the factors and the depth of your pocket before you commit...

Cheers,

Me dunno also... perhaps have to ask those pros in Macro section.... uhh... megaweb?? :)

I might be free to drop by TK but can't confirm. See how it goes. Thank you so much for your help again. :)

nightwolf75 said:
bellow thingy? izit a focusing rail? :dunno:

TK also have some tripods. but their selection might not as extensive as CP. anyway, i might drop in on TK later ard 5+. if u happened to be ard there, just drop by? i'm sure they can help u. ;)

zac08 said:
Well, in the first place, do consider the maximum load your tripod and head is going to take (i.e. the total weight of the heaviest lens + the camera body and flash system)

Then when you reach that figure, you work on the tripods as well as heads which fit into this range.

For e.g.

the tripod which was reccommended to my working place for a basic set up of a D100 + 70-300AF plus mebbe a SB 600 was rated at 5kg max weight for the tripod and 8kg for the head.

Manfrotto 190CLB +
Manfrotto 488RC2

Then the most important factor comes in. How much weight are you willing to lug around?
The set which I mentioned comes together at about 2.57kg. So consider the factors and the depth of your pocket before you commit...

Cheers,
Actually, he did specify his equipment list and budget. Scroll up.

Hey thanks for your good piece of advice. Appreciate it. ;)

Well, I am actually lazy to carry heavy stuffs so I might just be willing to invest in a good and light one. Uhh, having said that, wouldnt light weight tripod be less steady? Just a thought... cause i often see ppl hanging weight to their tripod.

From what you share, I would really like to consider the Gitzo 1258 CF. I am really new to tripod so I guess I can only share that I need one that is versatile and can be used for most situations. Oh btw, lightweight is the most important factor as I am going to bring it along for hiking at alps.

Thanks again. :D

espn said:
Papilio did mention that a monopod would prove to be more useful than a tripod for macro shooting moving objects.

If you intend to buy a tripod for daily usage, you might want to forget the 055 PRO, it's too frickin' heavy to even consider bringing it out for use.

You can consider however the micro-fibre version - 055 MF, which is, well, a bit lighter. The Gitzo 1258 CF can be lifted with just 1 finger however ;p (so, you can see which one's lighter?).

Ballhead will be very dependant, and I think the normal ballheads used for static shooting will not satisfy the speed and agility you require to track, shoot portrait/landscape but the Kangrinpoche should support your setup easily. However, when using it to shoot moving objects you will face a certain degree of instability + difficulty.

I speak from experience using a Markins M10 supporting a AF-S 500 f/4 with a D2X at the bird outing earlier (1 week ago), support is of no issue, but the agility and speed in changing orientation & tracking the subject is a bit of an issue because of the equipment's weight and ballhead design.

However, using chngpe01's Gimbal ballhead with the AF-S 200-400 f/4 VR + D2X, the agility and stability has improved better, of course, not saying you must buy it la. But consider carefully if you do need a tripod, or not if you're shooting fast moving macro subjects.

BreakThru said:
Hey thanks for your good piece of advice. Appreciate it. ;)

Well, I am actually lazy to carry heavy stuffs so I might just be willing to invest in a good and light one. Uhh, having said that, wouldnt light weight tripod be less steady? Just a thought... cause i often see ppl hanging weight to their tripod.

From what you share, I would really like to consider the Gitzo 1258 CF. I am really new to tripod so I guess I can only share that I need one that is versatile and can be used for most situations. Oh btw, lightweight is the most important factor as I am going to bring it along for hiking at alps.

Thanks again. :D
Then your budget will be exceeding, by quite a bit, say 30-50% more ;p

The 1258 is a 4 section tripod unlike the 1257 (same height, but 3 sections) and should be relatively lighter IIRC and should very well support your setup (don't take my words, go try it out at the shops).

1258 will be pretty carryable up the alps given it's length + shorter when 'compressed.

Wow... so it will be 650 to 750 bucks... Hmm... does anyone know where I can get the tech specs of this Gitzo 1258? how light is it actually compare to others? Oh btw, this Gitzo tripod has a head attached? sorry for my question if it sound green... newbie here... :embrass:

espn said:
Then your budget will be exceeding, by quite a bit, say 30-50% more ;p

The 1258 is a 4 section tripod unlike the 1257 (same height, but 3 sections) and should be relatively lighter IIRC and should very well support your setup (don't take my words, go try it out at the shops).

1258 will be pretty carryable up the alps given it's length + shorter when 'compressed.

Uhh... removed center column does not cause any loss of sturdiness? no other area affected? May I ask how much this setup cost and how light it is?

Focusing rail? is it the one that allows the camera to slide to and fro the subject?

Thanks

av98m said:
I use the 055 MF, center column removed, with a Feisol ballhead(looks like a Arca Swiss knock-off). Very light and handy combo. Being a lazy *******, I just have to pay the extra $$ for weight savings. I also have a manfrotto pan and tilt with focusing rail attached. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.