Seeking compensation for total failure wedding photog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone give me some possible answers why one of my friends always has problem with anything electrical or electronic? Anything he uses or buys will always have some complications or spoilt .... examples: Apple computers, air-con, cameras, etc ..... I suspect it is because of some interference from his physical body.

Maybe he has a carpet that always charges him with static electricity. Or his house has poor wiring, thus causing excessive power fluctuations.

Thanks guys!

the actual day photography is part of the total package. i was only given an invoice with the price and all the items included .Do not remember signing any other terms and conditions.

To be fair the whole service is ok until the very last part ... no pictures to look back at.... and no videography that day too :( I guess the photographer suay then memory card spoil.

Really dunno what kind of compensation to ask for then consider fair.

Tell them you just want them to be fair to you. Nothing more nothing less. Tell them to provide all the things again for another day of photoshoot as if its your wedding day. If yours is a package deal then the studio should work out something with the bridal gown firm, make up, hair etc and you guys can choose another date to get this redone. Anything else is a compromise and that you hope they will be gentleman about it.

Last edited:
Canonised said:
Can someone give me some possible answers why one of my friends always has problem with anything electrical or electronic? Anything he uses or buys will always have some complications or spoilt .... examples: Apple computers, air-con, cameras, etc ..... I suspect it is because of some interference from his physical body.

He needs to discharge his static if it's like that.. Tell him to stop shuffling. :bsmilie:

Tell them you just want them to be fair to you. Nothing more nothing less. Tell them to provide all the things again for another day of photoshoot as if its your wedding day. If yours is a package deal then the studio should work out something with the bridal gown firm, make up, hair etc and you guys can choose another date to get this redone. Anything else is a compromise and that you hope they will be gentleman about it.

Not practical. How do you get married two times and invite the same people and expect them to come again. How to deal with the joke? For the low amount of price you are paying for wedding photography it is not proportional to such claims.

Don't read and believe so much of those wedding sues happening in the western world. They exaggerate to claim higher.

there is no way for him to shoot the whole wedding day with just one memory card unless maybe 64gb! even if he did, he shld have back up the files at least for the morning session before going for the night banquet. it just doesnt make sense.

It is possible.

Studio photographers do not shoot RAW, they only shoot in JPEG, the average sized ones. About 400-800kb/file. On a 16GB card, it can easily go a long way. We'll do it the logical arithmetic way.

1 file assume 1MB.

2GB = 2,000 MB
4GB = 4,000 MB
8GB = 8,000 MB
16GB = 16,000 MB (don't blast me, I'm aware 1MB = 1024x1024)

Theoretically, you can get 2,000 shots in a 2GB card already. Why need to change card?

TS mention the whole bridal package he pay $3k plus, for the AD photographer part, probably bridal shop told customers it worth $800, but they won't pay more than $300 to the photographers for AD wedding assignment.

ask yourself, making such demand is it sensible and practical or not?

It is possible.

Studio photographers do not shoot RAW, they only shoot in JPEG, the average sized ones. About 400-800kb/file. On a 16GB card, it can easily go a long way. We'll do it the logical arithmetic way.

1 file assume 1MB.

2GB = 2,000 MB
4GB = 4,000 MB
8GB = 8,000 MB

Theoretically, you can get 2,000 shots in a 2GB card already. Why need to change card?

True.

A friend of mine, who work as free lance actual wedding photographer, shoot about 1000 photos and process about 400 photos (best).

All photos are in jpeg.

I strongly suspect the studio outsource the job to an inexperience photographer, to save cost.

there is no way for him to shoot the whole wedding day with just one memory card unless maybe 64gb! even if he did, he shld have back up the files at least for the morning session before going for the night banquet. it just doesnt make sense.

for such bridal shop assignments, nobody shooting in RAW, all are in jpg, no post production, no editing done,
and the bridal shops only print 4R prints for their customers, giving customers the files not more than 1GB in total.

Get all the card and try recovery software. It's better to recover some photos.

catchlights said:
do not make any assumption without any facts,
you are implying this members is the photographer who shot TS's wedding.

please wait for TS (the groom) to update us with more accurate info.

Perhaps bro manwearpants is trying to direct TS to other possible methods of data recovery? :O

I think I am spending too much time in the forum that every topic seems to be connected in some way.

I should not have quoted the thread, my apologies.

Hope TS manage to resolve the issue.

It is possible.

1 file assume 1MB.

2GB = 2,000 MB
4GB = 4,000 MB
8GB = 8,000 MB

Sure or Not ! ?

I'd say any proper photographer DOES shoot in RAW.... exception being is press n some sports photographers where speed of capture then transfer to the tabloids / news media is vital.

Their are GOOD REASONS why pro cameras take TWO Memory Cards > it serves as a redundant back up ! ( for me : I do RAW on one and JPEG fine on the other... cheap insurance ;) )

REALLY SORRY to hear about the wedding ! :(

Sure or Not ! ?

I'd say any proper photographer DOES shoot in RAW.... exception being is press n some sports photographers where speed of capture then transfer to the tabloids / news media is vital.

Their are GOOD REASONS why pro cameras take TWO Memory Cards > it serves as a redundant back up ! ( for me : I do RAW on one and JPEG fine on the other... cheap insurance ;) )

many photographers are shooting in jpg using camera like D300s or 7D or 60D, their customers only print up to 4R photos, and they are shooting average 70-80 weddings each year. they are charging a few hundreds for their service, so shoot and burn is the way to go.

most people don't believe is because they have no ideal how the way they work.

Sure or Not ! ?

I think you misunderstood.

Most Bridal gown studios sends AD photographers who shoot in JPG... I think that is what poster is trying to say

I am sure most studio shooters (those that shoot in studio) shoot in RAW.

What I did when I had a corrupted card was to format it and use a data recovery software to recover the entire contents. There's also recovery tools specifically meant for RAW images from memory cards. I doubt the studio tried those methods.

Those better softwares usually costs ~$100. It's not expensive at all to recover such important memories.

Can share with us what ware is that? Interested to get one to protect my clients' interests. Thanks.

Threadstarter, you can pm me if you need help to recover the photos. FOC if you are wondering;)

daredevil123 said:
I think you misunderstood.

Most Bridal gown studios sends AD photographers who shoot in JPG... I think that is what poster is trying to say

I am sure most studio shooters (those that shoot in studio) shoot in RAW.

Not necessary, at least my bridal studio for my pre-wedding isn't. Pre-wedding in Jpeg too.

In studio situ where control of light is available it is ok to shoot JPEG. Sunny outdoors JPEG is also ok especially if they shoot at optimum ISO or if they shoot underexposed a bit to save the highlights, anyway end of the day its someone else doing the digital imaging. The photoshop girl got a library of blue sky and white clouds to super impose into it. Or just make it orange like sunset (though it look more like sunkiss orange juice splashed on white paper) Plasticky skin and falsely enhanced face shape and body figure is the norm too. Underexposed picture still can sell at $95 per pic because the salegirls is good in convincing the couple it is art.

As mentioned, its a different business model. Whatever floats the boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.