Seeking advise for Wedding accessories (Please help urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest you do a search on "weddings", there are many a threads on it with valuable advice I find useful.

I do advice you get a flash, as it's essential for wedding photography. :)

yup ,, that what i have done also ,,alot ALOT of reading up ... and keep shooting so you ca find out which setting is situatable for the place so you dun need to keep changing it. Next Get ALot of rechargable batteries for you flash. Imagine you are firing for 3oo photos :eek: and 1 set of battery will last you bat 70- 90 ... Me not that sure about that but it always good to have more than less. Learn more on bounce flash techn so that will help you to get good exposure for the flash.. Use a soft box or bounce card.

1 last thing ... try to look cool :cool: and steady ;) , COS you are the Photograher..

cheer :D

Hi nikor_d,

on a typical wedding shoot i would bring at least:

-Digital SLR Body (D100)
-AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm VR ED
-SB-800 Speedlight*
-Sunpak PZ5000AF Flashlight (for slave)
-Lens Cleaning Kit (Kinetronics Optics FA Kit)*
-B+W Lens Pen*
-Jumbo Blower*
-Spare D100 Battery*
-3 sets of Batteries for each flash (27pcs total)*
-2x 1GB CF*

This is my bare minimum. Those with * are essential accessories for a wedding/event shoot.

Basically, more power (batteries), more film (CF), essential cleaning apparatus, and all the lenses you think you need. your 18-70 will have to suffice, unless you can afford to buy new lenses.

All the best for the wedding shoot. If you need help, just drop me a PM.

Hmm...though this is a hardware forum, maybe i can touch on some tips and tricks. :)

After taking group or portraits kinda photos (formals, non-PJ), it is always good to say thank-you and smile, if you don't have a problem of giving a small bow, do it. This is a nice touch and usually they do appreciate.

Be courteous and smile. It is a happy and auspicious day, nobody likes unhappy or stern faces. I know it's pressurising, but do smile. Say Hi, have a nice day, good morning to people/relatives who just came. Take it as if you are a CSO and give service. People have tugged at my shirt and asked for name card for future biz, so do not be surprised by this move. :) I have seen people switching photographers for their future coz they come across the photog guy to be so good in PR skills, they like it (provided they have someone in mind already but didn't put deposit first lar.. heh :D). This is actually applicable for events too.

Wear deodorant.

Actually these are pretty basic, just to share. This is the people's skill portion of it, there is more to wedding photography than this but that is for you to find out. :)

As espn and scanner pointed out (and also volunteered) you might want to ask a couple of other ClubSNAPpers to back you up so that at least your friend has an enlarged pool of photos to choose from (but if you do, make sure that the roles/responsibilities are discussed prior to the shoot eg. who takes what, who will be main, who do backup/candids)

If shooting digital which doesn't entail lots of $$ outlay in printing if they just give the images on CDROM to the couple, I am sure ClubSNAPpers will be willing to donate their time and cameras in exchange for kopi and Bak Chor Mee ;)

Darren said:
As espn and scanner pointed out (and also volunteered) you might want to ask a couple of other ClubSNAPpers to back you up so that at least your friend has an enlarged pool of photos to choose from (but if you do, make sure that the roles/responsibilities are discussed prior to the shoot eg. who takes what, who will be main, who do backup/candids)

If shooting digital which doesn't entail lots of $$ outlay in printing if they just give the images on CDROM to the couple, I am sure ClubSNAPpers will be willing to donate their time and cameras in exchange for kopi and Bak Chor Mee ;)

I agree fully with kopi and bar chor mee. :devil: Heehee.

nikor_d, consider the offers to help. It's a great way to learn too from the process and your friend would probably appreciate a more comprehensive coverage of the wedding.

nikor_d.... not sure if you are shooting the whole day or not... but something to add is BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP ! the pics!...

get/borrow/steal a storage gear (xdrive...nixvue..).. or have a laptop with you and a CF card reader to make a copy of photos!.. you never know what can happen if you have only one card...

All the best !

Status
Not open for further replies.