seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclaine

Aug 29, 2008
IMH
hi guys,

previously posted but not much response.. so.. ya..
looking for something that can point and shoot yet i might still be able to tweak around with A/S. hopefully wider than 35mm, for better family shots since i usually do quite some and don't feel like sticking myself into the wall to take a good snap
of cause, with most of the cameras good for outdoors, was hoping to find something good with indoors and under "not so dark" conditions
definitely need IS due to shaky hands

i've considered G9, but due to its price and 35mm.. i kinda shunned it.. but looking for something with that size so i can carry it around easily in a pouch.. and preferably able to shoot stuff at least 20metres as if im next to them *imagine walking into a lion's cage and say cheese?*

thanks!

sadly, from the feature search using DPreview, only tz-series by panasonic and richo r-series make it close to ur requirement but i doubt they offer a/s mode.

hi guys,

looking for something that can point and shoot yet i might still be able to tweak around with A/S. hopefully wider than 35mm, for better family shots since i usually do quite some and don't feel like sticking myself into the wall to take a good snap
of cause, with most of the cameras good for outdoors, was hoping to find something good with indoors and under "not so dark" conditions

i've considered G9, but due to its price and 35mm.. i kinda shunned it.. but looking for something with that size so i can carry it around easily in a pouch.. and preferably able to shoot stuff at least 20metres as if im next to them *imagine walking into a lion's cage and say cheese?*

thanks!

Well, the Sony W300 and Fuji compacts are pretty good under dim lighting. The W300 has a full manual mode too.

hi guys,

thanks!

S5IS?

sadly, from the feature search using DPreview, only tz-series by panasonic and richo r-series make it close to ur requirement but i doubt they offer a/s mode.

tz-15 looks decently good as rounder but with significant noise at above ISO400?

Well, the Sony W300 and Fuji compacts are pretty good under dim lighting. The W300 has a full manual mode too.

i was trying to avoid 35mm cause they seem.. well, not wide enough, was looking at around 30mm hopefully..

S5I is on AA batteries which i'm trying to avoid after having my friend's A720 IS taking about 10 batteries in a single day and especially at the wrong moments..

i was trying to avoid 35mm cause they seem.. well, not wide enough, was looking at around 30mm hopefully..

S5I is on AA batteries which i'm trying to avoid after having my friend's A720 IS taking about 10 batteries in a single day and especially at the wrong moments..
well, try out the feature search in dpreview, and u be surprise how limited the choice are... either u lower some of ur requirement or even eliminate it.
sad but true.
many of the brand tends to pack a pretty powerful in ur case of requirement sumthing around 28-200mm(35mm equiv) on the prosumer body but again reject by ur requirement.

currently there may not be anything that will satisfy all your criteria. at the moment you'll need to consider what you can compromise.

you may need to re-evaluate your list of criteria again.

thanks for all the suggestion

would it seem stupid of me if i were to divide my budget of around 700 down to try and get an f50fd for low light shots, and then something else for outdoor day shots?

do you need a new camera otherwise can check out the 2nd hand DSLR`s for sale, can be modified for wide angle and close zoom shots.

Last edited:
thanks for all the suggestion

would it seem stupid of me if i were to divide my budget of around 700 down to try and get an f50fd for low light shots, and then something else for outdoor day shots?
yes, its stupid... if a camera can handle low light, i don see how it would not handle bright outdoor picture...

do you need a new camera otherwise can check out the 2nd hand DSLR`s for sale, can be modified for wide angle and close zoom shots.

i'm trying to avoid DSLR mainly for the fact that i'm very very clumsy, and i can't carry it around on a day to day basis *going out after work, too big a case to bring around in addition to my briefcase*

yes, its stupid... if a camera can handle low light, i don see how it would not handle bright outdoor picture...

true, but low light ones like f50fd aint wide angle, which is why i wish to get a wide angle one. too..

i'm trying to avoid DSLR mainly for the fact that i'm very very clumsy, and i can't carry it around on a day to day basis *going out after work, too big a case to bring around in addition to my briefcase*

true, but low light ones like f50fd aint wide angle, which is why i wish to get a wide angle one. too..

You can't have everything you want when you're on a tight budget. So it's time to compromise and make a choice.

You can't have everything you want when you're on a tight budget. So it's time to compromise and make a choice.

agreed too, lets say if i don't hold a leash on my budget *well i'll wait for the 13th month bonus*, what can be recommended that's not DSLR? all in all it boils down to the size, since size is the major factor for convenience. up to date there isnt one i can locate that's wide angle, good zoom, good in low light and aint too big.

suppose i skip the low light, a near match is the LX2, but just when i've saved up enough, it gets phased out and there i go banging my head on the wall, since the LX3 is only 2.5x zoom, climb down into the pits, get those lions to stand still, take their picture then climb out =Þ

considered TZ, but somehow that camera doesnt appeal to me at all.. :(

thanks alot for all the opinions

guess i'll look more into TZ-15 and FZ28 (unless someone happen to find a shop still selling FZ18!)
then buy a DSLR when i feel more up to it

thanks alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.