Seeking Advice: Where to shoot Taipei city skyline?

LifeInMacro

Aug 8, 2008
Singapore
Hi all

Need some help and tip here...

I am visiting Taipei soon, and was wondering where I can get a good shot of Taipei city with the Taipei 101 tower visible? I was hoping to shoot at sunset/dusk when the city lights comes alive.

Appreciate any advice on the location, and how to get there by transport if possible.

Thanks, and have a nice day. :)

Tiger Mountain or Elephant Mountain are good places. Information is readily available... The more detailed ones are in Chinese, if that helps any in your search.

Do note that most of the time for the best views, you have to walk off the beaten path, i.e. walk through forest or less used stairways, etc.

Another good location is just near to Taipei 101, there's a pedestrian crossing with overhead bridges overlooking the traffic. You can easily find it clicking around in Google Street View.

Rather than wait for people to spoonfeed, may I humbly suggest that you do some amount of homework yourself. What I usually do is to first look at photographs of the place/icon that I'm interested in, consider the amount of time I have for the trip, and find out where they are from. Often on places like Flickr the photographer mentions the location. After that, I like to do my own research, it's like a hunt. This even involves looking at the place through Google Street View to check if the location is walkable from public transport, etc. Failing which, I'd reach out to the photographers who took the pictures as a last resort. I actually enjoy this part of the process as much as the photography/photographs themselves. There's a great sense of achievement when you finish the whole thing. Much better than just asking here and there "where to go", etc.

I remember that there are a number of detailed sites which give the way to the best spots in Tiger/Elephant Mountain which I referred to when I went a while back. That beats anything that anyone here can write. Why don't you try to find it, if I did it when I went (I didn't keep it, because I know that I can find it again if I want), you can too.

Cheers.

Elephant Hill is a good choice.
8539158770_b9a8eb2e6e_b.jpg

Its signposted once you get off the Taipei City Hall MRT station and then walk towards Taipei 101.
When you get to any one of the 4 main roads surrounding Taipei 101, you will see signposts indicating "Elephant Hill" (Xiang Shan)
Surrounding Roads :
Xinyi Rd
Shifu Rd
Song Shi Rd

From there, its about 10-15mins walk following signs and then another 10mins up (some info say 15-30mins depending on fitness) the hill.

Thanks. I appreciate your very clear directions. I get the idea now. Have a great day!

Elephant Hill is a good choice.

Its signposted once you get off the Taipei City Hall MRT station and then walk towards Taipei 101.
When you get to any one of the 4 main roads surrounding Taipei 101, you will see signposts indicating "Elephant Hill" (Xiang Shan)
Surrounding Roads :
Xinyi Rd
Shifu Rd
Song Shi Rd

From there, its about 10-15mins walk following signs and then another 10mins up (some info say 15-30mins depending on fitness) the hill.