Seeking Advice Sigma AF105 f2.8


Status
Not open for further replies.

RAIN_MAN

New Member
Jun 12, 2003
75
0
0
Visit site
#1
hi folks,anyone own this lens.And if u do,how is it performing?tot of adding it to my equipment list,care to share your experience....



thx
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#2
Originally posted by RAIN_MAN
hi folks,anyone own this lens.And if u do,how is it performing?tot of adding it to my equipment list,care to share your experience....



thx
great lens for its price. extremely sharp glass. don't let the slow AF bother you if you're really into macro photography.
 

Jun 30, 2003
1,124
0
0
Visit site
#3
I owned one and I say it's optically fantastic, good solid built, comes with hood and reasonable price. Good for portrait, still sharp at 2.8. It rates 4.1 (optical quality) at photodo.com.

Focusing a bit slow but tolerable, I guess you'll hardly use AF for macro though.

Highly recommended. :)
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#4
Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper
I owned one and I say it's optically fantastic, good solid built, comes with hood and reasonable price.
personally i wouldn't say good solid built, as the finish rubs of after some time, and the gold ring is just a sticky piece of gold tape! AF ring becomes loose too after much use.

but all in all, still a great value lens! :thumbsup:
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#6
new shld be around $650. but then again it was 6 months ago when i asked...
 

BraveHart

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
864
0
0
40
Singapore
www.ef2pt8.com
#9
Its a beautiful lens. Nice wide manual focus ring with a long focus throw. Its metal construction brings it a notch over its competitiors. Optically, I believe it can hold its own against the brand name equivalents (never did a formal test nor found it necessary).
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
#11
If you are referring to the Sigma 105mm EX Macro f2.8, I can highly recommend it.

Optically very good and sharp. It's the only lens I have which I am tempted to use manual focus, because of the excellent focus ring. AF is noisy.

I bought mine secondhand at $400. There was a problem using it with Canon EOS 10D (aperture would not stop down - Err 99) but Sigma Marketing Singapore re-chipped the lens for me for free, and it's working great now.

I use mine mainly for converting colour negatives to digital. I use it at f8.0, mirror lockup enabled, with a remote release, against a white light box. Batch convert in PS -> Invert and Autolevels. Result is much better than using my Epson film scanner. And heck of a lot faster. I can "scan" a roll of film in less than 5 minutes.
 

Jun 30, 2003
1,124
0
0
Visit site
#12
Originally posted by StreetShooter
I use mine mainly for converting colour negatives to digital. I use it at f8.0, mirror lockup enabled, with a remote release, against a white light box. Batch convert in PS -> Invert and Autolevels. Result is much better than using my Epson film scanner. And heck of a lot faster. I can "scan" a roll of film in less than 5 minutes.
Not a bad idea at all. :thumbsup:
 

AJ23

Senior Member
Jun 12, 2003
12,716
0
0
101
Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
#14
I've compared and tested between the Nikon and the Nikon mount, but ... :dunno:

Originally posted by BraveHart
Its a beautiful lens. Nice wide manual focus ring with a long focus throw. Its metal construction brings it a notch over its competitiors. Optically, I believe it can hold its own against the brand name equivalents (never did a formal test nor found it necessary).
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#15
Originally posted by weg
even though it's a macro lens there's no problem using it for normal shooting rite??
of course... it can still focus at infinity!
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#16
Originally posted by AJ23
I've compared and tested between the Nikon and the Nikon mount, but ... :dunno:
but what??? cannot tell the difference rite?
 

RAIN_MAN

New Member
Jun 12, 2003
75
0
0
Visit site
#17
thx folks! will take your advice,get one this wkend.....wat abt
diffuser filter?which brand produce the best effect for portrait?
 

AJ23

Senior Member
Jun 12, 2003
12,716
0
0
101
Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
#18
but but but ... it's the price that makes me :dunno: to get which. I like the price of the Sigma and the lense of Nikon. :D

Nikon is better than Sigma, Nikon's slightly sharper, quieter and faster in focusing. So still :dunno: ...

Originally posted by munfai
but what??? cannot tell the difference rite?
 

Jun 30, 2003
1,124
0
0
Visit site
#19
Originally posted by AJ23
but but but ... it's the price that makes me :dunno: to get which. I like the price of the Sigma and the lense of Nikon. :D

Nikon is better than Sigma, Nikon's slightly sharper, quieter and faster in focusing. So still :dunno: ...
Do you normally use AF for macro?

Focusing may be quieter, but, what makes you say that nikon is "sharper" than sigma?
 

AJ23

Senior Member
Jun 12, 2003
12,716
0
0
101
Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
#20
Don't have a macro lense yet, was doing the comparison at the shop. As for AF for macro or not, I think it depends? :dunno:

As for "sharper", was looking at the pics taken by both the lenses on the same camera body, on a printout. To me, it looks that Nikon lense is slightly sharper. No?

That's why I am still in a dilenma whether to get the Sigma or the Nikon. The Sigma is about half the price of Nikon...

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper
Do you normally use AF for macro?

Focusing may be quieter, but, what makes you say that nikon is "sharper" than sigma?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom