Seeking advice: mirrorless or entry level small DSLR?

Cecilia Wang

Aug 22, 2015
Hi everyone, I recently came across this forum while researching and I really appreciate the helpful content and all its contributors! :)

I'm looking to get a convenient camera with good picture quality for my study abroad + vacations and general use. Currently, my family owns some pretty old cameras: a 8mpx Olympus P/S (pictures aren't even as sharp as iPhone 5) and a DSLR, 8mpx Olympus E-500 with 2 zoom lenses (heavy, quite slow, no video, but I'm open to reviving this one if it's recommended!)

My budget is around $600, 2nd hand
I want it to be light/handy
I want to take videos
Live view
(optional) Twisting LCD
(optional) Viewfinder
(optional) I want to be able to change lens. Thinking of getting one 18-55mm lens and one prime lens
(optional) Good ergonomics(?), I prefer to have convenient manual control
Intending to use this camera for a good…10 years?
Brand-wise I think I prefer traditional camera brands like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Fuji rather than handphone brands like Sony LOL ok please correct me if I'm misconceived…

I'm considering the Canon EOS M which comes with a lens adapter, a 18-55mm and a 35mm equiv. at $500 2nd hand, but have read that it's slow and manual control is difficult.
Or Panasonic GF6, $450. (But honestly there are SO MANY cameras in the mini 4/3 series I have trouble singling in on one…)

So…any tips guys? Thanks so much for reading!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I recently came across this forum while researching and I really appreciate the helpful content and all its contributors! :)

I'm looking to get a convenient camera with good picture quality for my study abroad + vacations and general use. Currently, my family owns some pretty old cameras: a 8mpx Olympus P/S (pictures aren't even as sharp as iPhone 5) and a DSLR, 8mpx Olympus E-500 with 2 zoom lenses (heavy, quite slow, no video, but I'm open to reviving this one if it's recommended!)

My budget is around $600, 2nd hand
I want it to be light/handy
I want to take videos
Live view
(optional) Twisting LCD
(optional) Viewfinder
(optional) I want to be able to change lens. Thinking of getting one 18-55mm lens and one prime lens
(optional) Good ergonomics(?), I prefer to have convenient manual control
Intending to use this camera for a good…10 years?
Brand-wise I think I prefer traditional camera brands like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Fuji rather than handphone brands like Sony LOL ok please correct me if I'm misconceived…

I'm considering the Canon EOS M which comes with a lens adapter, a 18-55mm and a 35mm equiv. at $500 2nd hand, but have read that it's slow and manual control is difficult.
Or Panasonic GF6, $450. (But honestly there are SO MANY cameras in the mini 4/3 series I have trouble singling in on one…)

So…any tips guys? Thanks so much for reading!
For the budget, I'll say go with with the OMD line. EM10 can be a good start. The only drawback is the 3 axis stabilisation. But I find that good enough for everyday use.

The fuji X10/20 even thou it's a fixed lens has a constant aperture thru out. It is small and compact and you don't have to keep changing your lens. You might wanna consider that too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

For the budget, I'll say go with with the OMD line. EM10 can be a good start. The only drawback is the 3 axis stabilisation. But I find that good enough for everyday use.

The fuji X10/20 even thou it's a fixed lens has a constant aperture thru out. It is small and compact and you don't have to keep changing your lens. You might wanna consider that too.

I don't think that one will fit the budget. $600 probably can get the body with kit lens, but probably not a prime? Not sure how much a Sigma 19/2.8 is 2nd hand, but I don't think it's less than $100? If can stretch budget a bit I think can.

But I agree with the recommendation. OMD line is the cheapest for good manual control.

Sony makes very good cameras now; in fact I'd say the A7RII is the most flexible camera out there now. Unfortunately that camera is way out of the budget, and the cheaper Sony cameras don't offer as good manual control.

TS please note that small and ergonomics usually do not go hand in hand.

I recommend spending most of your budget on a good lens (one that renders in a way that pleases you) and a lesser portion on a body.

Any brand dslr or mirrorless at any particular budget level will get the job done in competent hands.

My opinion.

Last edited:
It's a wild party out there with heaps of choices
Read up a bit more and i guess nothing beats trying them out at the places like sony center at 313. Competition is keen and every mirrorless released in the last few years is very competent in their respective arenas. Really boils down to what sings to u.

If omd is way out of budget, I'll suggest the EP series from olympus. Not trying to sell the brand but they do make good cameras. And the OOC jpegs are pleasing to the eyes.

But then again like what Berkins said, there are tons of choices. Go for the one that catches your eye and meet all of your criteria.

Taking quote from Nikonzen, it's the user. Not the gear. 😊

Oly is probably a good option for you as you come from Oly cameras it looks like.

I will say it again...Nikon Coolpix A is a sleeper of a camera but fixed lens. The Sigmas would maybe be an option but you would have to eventually buy three to get a good kit of focal lengths. These are cameras you can keep for 10 years...and they are different than your average big box camera. I would love to have any of these myself. Not sure about the video.

With your stipulations I don't think a dslr would do you good (then again I have such a kit and it fits in a compact bag and weighs at 5lbs.) Mirrorless would probably be much more suitable.

With a good EP series rig you could maybe afford to buy a really nice lens and get to where you want to be?

Last edited:
Pretty much any camera from these past 3 yrs will be adequate for your needs.
Yes, there will be nit picks over the finer aspects of functions and features, but for the casual user, I don't think they matter that much.

At $600, its a bit tight for a camera+kit lens+ prime.
I suggest an older 2-3yr model to fit nearer to the budget.

The rest, is up to individual interest and tenacity to make the camera work for the user (and not the other way around)

Do have a look at the Pentax KS2 too, since it offers a lot for the money for a dslr.
Seldom gets mentioned too.
As for being a traditional camera company, it is the first Japanese SLR maker, so it's got a very long history.