Seek advice on printer

Greg0222

Oct 6, 2009
Yio Chu Kang
I am thinking about buy a printer.
Main purpose is to print photo up to A4 size. Other functions are welcome but not a must.
The usage will be very limited -- Actually I can only think of print some of the photos, put them in frames and hang them on the wall. And from time to time print some text paper, or Due to the low usage, I should consider using professional serivce. At the same time, it will be great to have a printer handy and conveniently ready.
So I decided I need a printer - capable to produce high quality phots prints, and as cheap as possible.
Any suggestion on what machine I should go for according to your experinece? Thanks

I am thinking about buy a printer.
Main purpose is to print photo up to A4 size. Other functions are welcome but not a must.
The usage will be very limited -- Actually I can only think of print some of the photos, put them in frames and hang them on the wall. And from time to time print some text paper, or Due to the low usage, I should consider using professional serivce. At the same time, it will be great to have a printer handy and conveniently ready.
So I decided I need a printer - capable to produce high quality phots prints, and as cheap as possible.
Any suggestion on what machine I should go for according to your experinece? Thanks

To me all printers are the same, if the resolution and the printing speed are the same or close to be the same quality.

The biggest expense is not to buy the printer but the cost to replenish the ink cartridges. it is good to have different color ink cartridges so you only need to replace the empty color cartridge.

The next expensive things are the A4 photo glossy paper.

Talk about the cost, it is always cheaper to print it outside even print at the professional printer. The only plus point is that you worth having your photo printer either A4 or A3 is that you can print at any time you like. Even at midnight if you can not sleep and want to do some printing, but must have enough ink cartridges ready at stock.

For me I have multiple notebooks at home. So a wireless printer or network printer would be good to share among family.

To me all printers are the same, if the resolution and the printing speed are the same or close to be the same quality.

The biggest expense is not to buy the printer but the cost to replenish the ink cartridges. it is good to have different color ink cartridges so you only need to replace the empty color cartridge.

The next expensive things are the A4 photo glossy paper.

Talk about the cost, it is always cheaper to print it outside even print at the professional printer. The only plus point is that you worth having your photo printer either A4 or A3 is that you can print at any time you like. Even at midnight if you can not sleep and want to do some printing, but must have enough ink cartridges ready at stock.

For me I have multiple notebooks at home. So a wireless printer or network printer would be good to share among family.

Thank you bro. I understand in the long-term the main costs are definitely the ink cartridges and photo paper. It's not a big concern since I will not use it often. So the point here should be to keep a printer at home to deal with any impulse wish to print something, and do some framing and dacoration sort of things.
I don't mind about the wireless or speed, or other fancy funtionality. They are a plus, the quality of the prints is the key.

HP or canon! :D

this one, go and PM clown, he will have better knowledge of such things

You might get more answers if you post this question in the printers and scanners subforum....

I just bought a new printer that is also new to the market... the Canon MG8120. I've owned a similar model from Canon in the recent past so I knew that the results would be excellent.

This model also scans slides from the old film days. My dad has a box full of old family slides so I plan to scan all of these in my new printer.

I am not sure about this, but I suspect think that photo printing is the most expensive mode of personal printing. I used to take my digital images to a service to have them printed and the costs were reasonable and slightly (very slightly) cheaper than doing them on my own at home based on a cost analysis I read on the internet. However, what the study did not factor in was the cost of transportation to and from the shop and the cost of inconvenience. Even though these costs were slight, they were just enough to make the total cost about the same or slightly more.

One more thing that I've learned through the years... laser printing is far cheaper than ink-jet printing. I have a cheap laser printer that I use to print documents. My photo printer is exclusively for photos. The difference in "per page cost" between the two is significant.

maybe this one?

T10-T11-(550-x-310).png

product brochure

Other brands at this price range usually is using black cartridge + color cartridge which means if one color in the color cartridge run out then have to replace the whole color cartridge. This model on the other hand even though is entry level printer is using individual inks which presents costs savings. And usually, dedicated printers print photos faster then AIOs. Also if you dont print often, the ink have the economy version which sells about $10 a color.

Last edited:
Clown089 or clown09 something like that. Check the threads. He has been contributing to the forum as well...

bro, not that one....

the question being asked here is not really a pentax thing, i'm not sure if this should be posted here actually.

this one: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=3642

Clown089 or clown09 something like that. Check the threads. He has been contributing to the forum as well...
hey not clownpo09 oks?:sweat: dunno anything 'bout this matter:sweatsm:

Most of the printers today are hydrid printers that offer multifunctionality with a little compromise here and there. What you need is a dedicated colour printer.
The best colour printer you can get for mainstream use is the Epson T50 and T60 presently.
I think the Canon's PIXma 3680 is in the same price range but I am more impressed with the Epson output. Have been using Epson printers all the way since my last Canon printer about 16 years back. :)

Thank you all the the feedbacks! Yes, I will study the model suggested here first. Maybe also take a look at Courts later.

I just bought a new printer that is also new to the market... the Canon MG8120. I've owned a similar model from Canon in the recent past so I knew that the results would be excellent.

This model also scans slides from the old film days. My dad has a box full of old family slides so I plan to scan all of these in my new printer.

I am not sure about this, but I suspect think that photo printing is the most expensive mode of personal printing. I used to take my digital images to a service to have them printed and the costs were reasonable and slightly (very slightly) cheaper than doing them on my own at home based on a cost analysis I read on the internet. However, what the study did not factor in was the cost of transportation to and from the shop and the cost of inconvenience. Even though these costs were slight, they were just enough to make the total cost about the same or slightly more.

One more thing that I've learned through the years... laser printing is far cheaper than ink-jet printing. I have a cheap laser printer that I use to print documents. My photo printer is exclusively for photos. The difference in "per page cost" between the two is significant.
I appreciate your information! Will take a look at the model as well. Laser printing is cheaper then ink-jet printing -- this is new to me. Thanks