Seeing the current photography trend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
These days, we are seeing more and more people with a DSLR in their hands. I got a weird feeling towards that. I mean, how many of them are really in to photography? I just feel that many of them got the camera based on the following equation:

DSLRs = good photos.

Obviously, that's not the case. So, why am I bothered by that, you ask? Well, maybe because I occasionally do walk around with a DSLR in my hand as well (an ancient 1 though). And I feel bothered if I'm being seen that way too! Duh... That's pretty stupid, but I can't help it.

I think I'm beginning to understand why some film photographers have something against digital, so much so that they'll stick to film, no matter what anyone says. It's like saying "Digital are for the rest of you guys, while film is for me". (I'm putting it in a nice way. ;p) Don't get me wrong, I'm not against digital or anything. In fact, I've never really experiment with film myself! I'm just bringing forth a feeling.

The way some film photographers see digital, is almost how like I see the current DSLR trends now... I think. How many of you feel the same?

Feel free to disagree with me. Fact is, topics like these can be very subjective. I may have played with photography for some time now. But I am, by no means, a photography guru. I'm placing myself in a humble position. So If you disagree with me, no problem. But please be gentle. :embrass:

These days, we are seeing more and more people with a DSLR in their hands. I got a weird feeling towards that. I mean, how many of them are really in to photography? I just feel that many of them got the camera based on the following equation:

DSLRs = good photos.

Obviously, that's not the case. So, why am I bothered by that, you ask? Well, maybe because I occasionally do walk around with a DSLR in my hand as well (an ancient 1 though). And I feel bothered if I'm being seen that way too! Duh... That's pretty stupid, but I can't help it.

I think I'm beginning to understand why some film photographers have something against digital, so much so that they'll stick to film, no matter what anyone says. It's like saying "Digital are for the rest of you guys, while film is for me". (I'm putting it in a nice way. ;p) Don't get me wrong, I'm not against digital or anything. In fact, I've never really experiment with film myself! I'm just bringing forth a feeling.

The way some film photographers see digital, is almost how like I see the current DSLR trends now... I think. How many of you feel the same?

Feel free to disagree with me. Fact is, topics like these can be very subjective. I may have played with photography for some time now. But I am, by no means, a photography guru. I'm placing myself in a humble position. So If you disagree with me, no problem. But please be gentle. :embrass:

one question u should ask urself. why bother what others think/see/use/buy.

also, how u know if others r really into photography? if u got the same thinking, others will have the same too.

most impt is what u produce out from ur camera.

Why bother with who are carrying compacts, who are carrying DSLRs?
Just enjoy shooting with your cam and produce pictures which you like, that's the most important.

On another note, why not put it this way:
More and more people are into photography? :cool:

I have not much problem with more people carrying DSLR, but it certainly makes getting a good spot at fireworks that much harder nowadays!

First off, shouldn't this thread be in Kopitiam?

So, why am I bothered by that, you ask? Well, maybe because I occasionally do walk around with a DSLR in my hand as well (an ancient 1 though). And I feel bothered if I'm being seen that way too! Duh... That's pretty stupid, but I can't help it.

This sounds a bit like you'd need "exclusive" equipment to distinguish yourself from the unwashed masses. Retro trends like LOMO, pibhole photography, etc. go in the same direction.

But wouldn't if be nice if people didn't need to rely on status symbols like certain types/brands of equipment, but found their unique identity by what they do with whatever equipment they may have?

Status
Not open for further replies.