See what SQ did to my tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acorn

May 24, 2004
I returned from a trip about 2-3 weeks ago. While at a French airport, I was told that I had to check-in my camera tripod even though it had followed me on board the plane on my travels around the world. Not wanting to argue with the non-English speaking French airport staff, i did as i was told against my better judgement, and checked it in. When I got back to Singapore, all three items that i checked in (2 suitcases and 1 tripod) were not on the conveyor belt.

While i got back my two suitcases two days later, my tripod only got delivered after about one week. Lo and behold, when i unwrapped the package, i found that two of the legs had broken off. One of them was bent and the other had the catches all broken (it was even crushed, like how one would press the end of a straw with thumb and index finger). Parts had broken off the tripod and were missing. It would not have looked so bad if a truck had run over it. I don't think i would have been able to do so much damage to it even if i deliberately wanted to destroy it.

Really makes one wonder how our luggage gets handled by airport staff. Good thing it was not my Manfrotto...

Amazing!
2194357317_5350431e59.jpg

2194356317_ae44062799.jpg

Crushed, with the rubber "foot" missing.
2194352883_3558f4ca27.jpg

Broken leg...
2194352319_c705988f54.jpg

Needless to say, the plastic catches were broken.
2194357911_12fa1603e2.jpg

Do you really don't know handle your luggae?
They just pick up and throw onto the converyor belt,YES!

You should be able to see it.

Any damage can be claimed from what i've heard.

I hope you had insurance or made a claim against SQ for the damage suffered. They are generally quite good at compensating you but the claim must be lodged before you leave Immigration so there's no doubt about the authencity of your claim. Good Luck!

Atleast they found your tripod and return you with most of the parts. If you had bought travel insurance, its time to file for a claim.

hello, next time you check in glass bottle wrapped in plastic and see what happen la

my friend's branded luggage ONE TIME after heathrow, cannot close properly, and it's the hard case type
his brand new portable hard disk inside, made r2d2 sounds and then died after a week

you should never ever check in your tripod in anything other than a hard case

i think you never do your homework la, you only allow ONE PIECE OF LUGGAGE under eu rules - and france is under eu, no
that's why they make you check it in, because you have one x tripod and one x something else right
if you could stuff your tripod into your hand luggage (and they are more lax about this one's size, if you had also done your homework) all this would have been avoided

same thing - do your homework. in any case, all airports don't really have the leisure to gingerly handle every piece of luggage.. especially at a high traffic one - i think they would rather incur the costs of reimbursement than to end up with delayed schedules and many more angry passengers than the few who will suffer because of mishandlement of luggage.

if all else fails, well, if you really cannot work under the rules, and you do have a lot of money, get a private jet ^_^

hello, next time you check in glass bottle wrapped in plastic and see what happen la

my friend's branded luggage ONE TIME after heathrow, cannot close properly, and it's the hard case type
his brand new portable hard disk inside, made r2d2 sounds and then died after a week

you should never ever check in your tripod in anything other than a hard case

i think you never do your homework la, you only allow ONE PIECE OF LUGGAGE under eu rules - and france is under eu, no
that's why they make you check it in, because you have one x tripod and one x something else right
if you could stuff your tripod into your hand luggage (and they are more lax about this one's size, if you had also done your homework) all this would have been avoided

same thing - do your homework. in any case, all airports don't really have the leisure to gingerly handle every piece of luggage.. especially at a high traffic one - i think they would rather incur the costs of reimbursement than to end up with delayed schedules and many more angry passengers than the few who will suffer because of mishandlement of luggage.

if all else fails, well, if you really cannot work under the rules, and you do have a lot of money, get a private jet ^_^

Only a goon will put their laptop inside.
Carry it at hand always!

Only a goon will put their laptop inside.
Carry it at hand always!
Not laptop lah its a portable hard disk only....I am not a goon but I have been putting my portable hard disk in my cargo bag xx time liao nothing happen yet :p The tripod looks like it had been drop from the plane at 10000ft, thats why they took 1 week to look for it :bsmilie: Iam ure can claim from SQ as they are the carrier so are responsible for any damages done by the ground handler, who is being contracted to handle the Airline cargo. You got to go to the Lost and Found Counter to lodge a damage report before the you clear the custom though.

The thing is, i only got it back AFTER i left the airport because all my luggage did not come back with me on the same flight. Probably some screw up by Air France or SQ in transit. And the tripod was actually strapped securely to my Lowepro. I have never had any problems anywhere else with it (not in UK, not in Spain). The french airport officer was just plain giving me a hard time. When i checked it in, i already had a feeling something like that was going to happen, cos all they gave me was a white Air France plastic bag to put it in. If i could, do you not think i would have put it in a hard case?

bagggage conveyors, automated, not hand delivery....so that's a lot of tumbling for your tripod in plastic bag....probably jammed up or damage the baggage conveyor system.:nono:

tripod is a fragile item, it was not even in a carton box packing....baggage is handled differently from cargo, even cargo needs proper packing.....goodluck for your claims though.

i think your case is a special one as your luggages and tripod has been delayed. You should use this to back yourself up. Write an email claim that your baggages have been delayed and when they had it delivered to you, you found your stuffs was badly damaged.

I think yr tripod got stuck in the baggage converyer belt somewhere and hence it was missing for a few days and damaged so badly. SQ may not be the one caused the damage but u can still claim from them.

Did you put your tripod into the luggage bag ?

I did that a few times and nothing happen to my tripod.

I think yr tripod got stuck in the baggage converyer belt somewhere and hence it was missing for a few days and damaged so badly. SQ may not be the one caused the damage but u can still claim from them.

Must have caused one hell of a damage to the conveyer belt too if that is the case. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.