See what others can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
pointblankshots said:
Hi there,

True enough, a world of difference in commercial & a happy snapper. Remember one thing, ours goals is common, to be able to achieve good images to captivate ppl's mind.

You might be one that strives to impress with good work but there are many others who are content in capturing a moment worth remembering, it might not be technically infallible. These images might not mean much to a bystander but would stay with the shooter forever. Goals and achievements are diverse and wide ranging, which makes the whole endeavour that much more interesting.

pointblankshots said:
In photography, there's never a bad picture, only different interpretations by people. Personally, I would think that most introverts into photography tends to make better pictures in architectural, interior, landscape shots. The nature of the photography is that you dun have to mix around ppl much.

That's not necessary always true. I'm into architecture, environmental documantation and landscape stuff and in no way do I consider myself introvert, at least where photography is concern. You do make human contacts throughout the process of image making be it, the subjects in your photos or a passer by who just happen to be curious about what you are doing. Like minded people often meet up for photo sessions to share.

Cheesecake said:
it won't be happening so soon... not many are able to 'think out of the box'.
its the 'safety mentality' of the ppl, isn't it so? to follow and not to question.
herd mentality, right?

Singapore, oh Singapore...

it is strange why some of us are having such mentality "oh we are Singapore, hence…". you're underestimating ourselves. yes we are small and developing, but that doesn't mean we have to look down upon ourselves and whine about it.

If you are able to run very fast, then show everyone by example (seems like that's what pointblank is trying to do) how to run faster, but when most people are unable to run just as fast (you know the Normal Curve) be patient and do not whine "oh, Singaporeans run so slow…" (even though it may be true, it doesn't help).

sorry if it is a bit strong, just my neng jiam :rolleyes:

Well all I can say about people who whine about limitations are those who are most affected by it and most probably refuses to do anything about it. I think for once, we should stop blaming others for what we are not.

hwchoy said:
it is strange why some of us are having such mentality "oh we are Singapore, hence…". you're underestimating ourselves. yes we are small and developing, but that doesn't mean we have to look down upon ourselves and whine about it.

If you are able to run very fast, then show everyone by example (seems like that's what pointblank is trying to do) how to run faster, but when most people are unable to run just as fast (you know the Normal Curve) be patient and do not whine "oh, Singaporeans run so slow…" (even though it may be true, it doesn't help).

sorry if it is a bit strong, just my neng jiam :rolleyes:

haha
i was talking about the mentality and mindset of the people.

i'm not underestimating ourselves. in any way, no. y should i?

mindset, mentality, how do u change it overnight?

all these changes, even in the way we look at photography, can only happen after some time. years maybe.

Oh Singapore, Oh Singapore, the Island we adore...
we are all so well integrated into our social system so much so that the Government is encouraing us to 'think out of the way' and be 'creative'.

but how do we do it overnight? when all these years we are taught that getting a good cert is the way to be?

;)

Do we have to change anything if we haven't adopted or think that we have adopted a certain kind of mindset? I don't know. Do we really have a mindset that hinders creativity or do we think we have a mindset that hinders creativity so much so that it really hinder creativity? Nobody laid down the rules stating paper chasers can't think creatively. Being intergrated doesn't mean you loose your identity as an individual, if that's your "mindset".

and I should also add..... being "safe" and living in comfort zone is addictive. If you don't change this very minute, you probably will be the same 10 years later.

I'll agree that there're people who are contented so long as they capture the moment. I respect that totally. Neither am I here to preach or correct the perception of one's mindset of photography. I ain't putting anyone down.

Photography is life time learning experience. For me, it's a strange phenomenon. I've never thought of myself being a photographer. Hobbyist then, like all of you. Suddenly, the thirst to understanding better photography started. The ability to move forward came strongly. That's how I pick up equipment, only soon to know I've got enough to start a trade.

Well, I guess not many would claim they enjoy what they doing, one works for mere survival, often than not, is not given an option really. Fortunately for me, it a hobby turned career. what's better than this? I ask?

It just may be one of you who'll make photography a career too...

pointblankshots said:
Attached is another of my ads. Those in the market should know this. Anybody familiar that I know in this forum?

http://img45.photobucket.com/albums/v137/pointblankshots/add_eng.jpg

Seen this ad before and I think that it is truly a very innovative and creative piece compared to all previous ads on the same subject. Its a different way of looking at the subject. Kudos to you!!

I think there has been some good ones done on drink driving. Remember the "beer glasses in front of your eyes" one? Your vision gets blurry as more glasses added in front of you.

Cheesecake said:
i'm sorry but i guess not? education plays a part in our mindset? :dunno:

Education instills knowledge and values and it will only take you that far. The rest is up to you to decide. Thinking out of the box can only be encouraged, not taught so you can't really blame education for your "mindset".

Kit said:
Education instills knowledge and values and it will only take you that far. The rest is up to you to decide. Thinking out of the box can only be encouraged, not taught so you can't really blame education for your "mindset".

ok, i got it. thanks for some very enlightening discussion. ;)

Yup Kit, that was the previous campaign, I didn't shoot that one

Hi pointblankshots,
Welcome to clubsnap! Great shots you have there and valid points too. Think it would be great to have you critque some of the shots over in clubsnap as well. It would be a great help to improve the quality of photography!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.