Security by fingerprints?

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
It just took a few days and the method that worked already for other scanners is also successful with Apple's newest gadget.
http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2013/ccc-breaks-apple-touchid
What's the point of encrypting everything into some obscure depths of a chip, the weak spot again is in front of the screen? And obviously Apple did not reinvent anything for the sensor, the same thing as used everywhere else.

Steve Jobs would never hv approved this nonsense! LOL

They should improvise the front facing camera to retina scan the eyes for authentication.

Did you see the steps to create that fake finger print? If someone go through that length to get your finger print, you'll have more thing to worry about than your iPhone.
Btw, hacking a face recognition is damn easy, just need your photo.
Hacking your passcode can be done by shoulder peeking and it's way easier than lifting your print.

What Apple improve upon is the sensitivity and accuracy of the print reader. Previous print readers on mobile will often fail and require multiple tries which defeat the purpose of convenience.

Did you see the steps to create that fake finger print? If someone go through that length to get your finger print, you'll have more thing to worry about than your iPhone.
The iPhone here is just another example. There are other things already in the market using fingerprint recognition as well and promising security and whatnot. I saw thumb drives already. The main point is in the article: don't try to secure your data with something that is easily available to many others: your fingerprint.

The iPhone here is just another example. There are other things already in the market using fingerprint recognition as well and promising security and whatnot. I saw thumb drives already. The main point is in the article: don't try to secure your data with something that is easily available to many others: your fingerprint.

fingerprints, face and retina are the only body parts can be used for authentication...

this is hilarious

[video=youtube;4bG6cjaMZx0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bG6cjaMZx0[/video]

Btw, hacking a face recognition is damn easy, just need your photo.
Hacking your passcode can be done by shoulder peeking and it's way easier than lifting your print.

What Apple improve upon is the sensitivity and accuracy of the print reader. Previous print readers on mobile will often fail and require multiple tries which defeat the purpose of convenience.

yeah, now I'm more worried as all my bank accounts, CDP accounts are thumb printed...

fingerprints, face and retina are the only body parts can be used for authentication...

Says who?

[video=youtube;lI6Ci-fkFtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6Ci-fkFtA[/video]