Second hand or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Pls advise me on whether a 2nd hand DSLR is worth buying a not. My friend told me is better to get a first hand cam as we do not know if the 2nd hand cam has been mis-used or damage before but the seller did not reveal it.

And what are the things to look out for when checking for the cam?
Is the number of shutter count really that important? If send it for servicing, can the shutter count be reset? Is it very expensive?

getting a second hand camera or not is really up to you, if you are not comfortable with it, than go for new camera. No one can tell you when will a used camera brake down, but if a new camera brake down within the warranty period, you can get it fixed FOC.

shutter count is just a gauge or indicator how used is that camera, you also have to consider the condition of the exterior.

shutter count can not be reset, but shutter unit is replaceable, depend on model and brand, cost around $200 or more (parts only).

hope this help.

i have a 2nd hand dslr frm my dad's colleague's friend and its still in very good condition!
probably u get cameras from people whom u and ur friends know if u dont feel secure getting from elsewhere!

I have just got a 2nd hand DSLR. I will get a 2nd hand with a period of warranty long enough for me to test out the camera (in case any problem still can send in for repair). Exterior can be inspected by yourself but internal or functional parts has to be tested. Shutter count prefer to be <10K for me. If i can get at least 20% discounted price why not. I will use the saving + top up to buy a suitable lens. In the end, still up to individual.

if you are new to dslr, i think is better not getting a 2nd hand one....

It's entirely upto you ... and of course, taking into account also the quality of 2nd hand cam u can get your hands on and your budget which plays a big part too.

I was scouring for a used D200 only weeks before in B&S but ended up getting a new D300 cos the comfort level pertaining to many factors wasn't there. Same scenario when I 1st foray into the world of DSLR ... ended up getting my 1st DSLR, a new D80. To me, it's money well spent for me to feel at ease, having the 'feel good' factor and knowing that I can fall back on the warranty if anything goes awry.

Best of luck in your decision ya ... :)

Oic...thanks for all the advise and comment given...appreciate it a lot..

Thanks a lot pple....:D

I would suggest to get a entry level first hand DSLR since you might not know whether the 2nd hand one had been properly taken care of.

The difference is not too much I guess and it would bring you a peace of mind. :)

My recommendation is to get an entry-level dslr body (unless you know you will face limitations very soon). IMO lenses, tripods and bags are the only things that are worth getting 2nd-hand.

My recommendation is to get an entry-level dslr body (unless you know you will face limitations very soon). IMO lenses, tripods and bags are the only things that are worth getting 2nd-hand.

agree. Especially when you want to buy an entry-level camera. New models have more features for same or even less price then 1-year second-hand. Don't forget: there is no lifetime warranty for cameras.

Pls advise me on whether a 2nd hand DSLR is worth buying a not. My friend told me is better to get a first hand cam as we do not know if the 2nd hand cam has been mis-used or damage before but the seller did not reveal it.

Is the number of shutter count really that important? If send it for servicing, can the shutter count be reset? Is it very expensive?

My 10D is bought 2nd hand and have been using it for almost 3 years already, so far very satisfied with its performance (though now shutter has died and is at CSC) so it's really up to u.

Of cos new one is better but then i bought 2nd hand is becos i'm on a tighter budget. Things to check are like condition of the body and sensor dusts (bring a laptop). Shutter count when sent for servicing, they'll reset it for u. I got a quote today from CSC that servicing of my 10D shutter is $170 excluding GST, just to give u a rough idea.

Less than a year ago I bought a new 350D for S$1299, now the 2nd hand selling between $450 to $700. After using for 3 months, error 99 come up and need to power on/off to restart the camera very often. Until last month I decided to send to Canon for service, after two weeks and many phone call, Canon decided to replace the shutter and replace some parts in the kit lens. After checking the camera and kit lens after Canon servicing I return immediately, both had focusing problems. I think I got a lemon new camera. Now my 350D still with Canon.

Few months ago I buy a 2nd hand 20D from a CSer for S$730, the 20D have 5fps, more solid body build, ISO3200 with less noise. The 20D after shooting 20K to 30K still going strong.

If you ask me again from day 1 would I buy a 2nd hand ? My answer will be yes, after one year my camera lost value of S$700, the money can be saved and use for repairing, to replace the shutter only cost about S$200 and I can replace the shutter 3 time for the $700 value lost for my camera.

In additional, the QC of the Canon camera is very good from my experience. My 2nd hand 20D is better than my new 350D in quality and reliability.

This is my two cents.

Less than a year ago I bought a new 350D for S$1299, now the 2nd hand selling between $450 to $700. After using for 3 months, error 99 come up and need to power on/off to restart the camera very often. Until last month I decided to send to Canon for service, after two weeks and many phone call, Canon decided to replace the shutter and replace some parts in the kit lens. After checking the camera and kit lens after Canon servicing I return immediately, both had focusing problems. I think I got a lemon new camera. Now my 350D still with Canon.

Few months ago I buy a 2nd hand 20D from a CSer for S$730, the 20D have 5fps, more solid body build, ISO3200 with less noise. The 20D after shooting 20K to 30K still going strong.

If you ask me again from day 1 would I buy a 2nd hand ? My answer will be yes, after one year my camera lost value of S$700, the money can be saved and use for repairing, to replace the shutter only cost about S$200 and I can replace the shutter 3 time for the $700 value lost for my camera.

In additional, the QC of the Canon camera is very good from my experience. My 2nd hand 20D is better than my new 350D in quality and reliability.

This is my two cents.

Agreed. Due to different class and built of camera, similar to a 1D series comparing with our prosumer class. Then, i bought my 10D from a fellow CSer for $1K body alone. Now it's around half the price.

2nd hand is always good for starters (like me!).. just be careful when inspecting the wares for serious defects like fungus or chips / cracks (i.e. has been dropped before)..

i think it's good not to take the $$$$ plunge so early.. besides the $$$ saved can be used to experiment with different lens / filters / flash etc.. so that you can find something you like in the end..

I had alot of faith in my friend when I bought the cam from her in the US cause I couldnt see it first :D Still I Spent then $1k more than 2 years ago on the body(no kit but came with a then very expensive 2gb extreme 3) and its still woking well now. Sincxe then almost all my equips have been aquired second hand to save $.

I think it was shown somewhere that shutter counts are a luck thing.. some shutter die after only a few thousand acutations while others can last way beyond the stated one.. I guess the only thing you can look out for is external damamge and to made sure all the functions work well. I'm sure you can find second hand d40x,k100D,350D,400D,A100,E310's in the b/s forums with warranty :D

Well it's all up to you. For me I juz bought a 2yrs old Canon 350D and the set is unbelievablely NEW!!! Just that you need to check it carefully before you buy. I'm sure there are alot of well taken care Cam in the buy and sell section.

agree. Especially when you want to buy an entry-level camera. New models have more features for same or even less price then 1-year second-hand. Don't forget: there is no lifetime warranty for cameras.

not to mention -

prices of entry level dslrs are dropping with each day, with more stuff thrown in, e.g. the k200d is coming out soon, an entry level dslr with dust/weather sealing. how do you beat that? :bsmilie:

unless you are really on a tight budget, personally i feel that a lot of people selling on the second-hand market are not being realistic, which is why you see a whole load of unsold second hand bodies in b&s still, demand aside. of course, a lot of buyers are also unrealistic.

i would think it is best to buy from only sellers with a solid reputation - do a search for their past b&s threads and see how it is, since the iTrader rating system has been removed. as for those who suddenly just register with a few cameras to sell.. best not to trust them, it's only common sense.

I guess at the end of the day if you're not comfortable with the fact that a second hand camera might die on you or could have been abused by the past user then stick to new. Another issue is that if the camera becomes too old the service centre might no longer have spare parts and then you'd have to trash the camera.

I bought a second hand 300D in Aug last year for $650/- and I think the street value of a 300D now is about $400/+ now. So second hand cams also depreciate quite fast as well. I think my next camera would be brand new and I'd probably use it for 2 - 3 years before upgrading again.

the depreciation of a 2nd hand basic DSLR will usually be less than a 2nd hand pro cam if you look at it in terms of absolute dollars. Like if a 2nd hand 300D depreciates $200 in 1 year, will the same 5D will also only depreciate $200 after 1 year? I've seen D3s losing that amount after 2 weeks because it's '2nd hand' already. I think $200 a year is not that bad.. and think about it.. will the 300D still depreciate another $200 after another year to $200 only? Highly doubt it.. else I also go n buy 1 for fun. Actually $400 for a DSLR is a very good deal man, even though its old cams like D70 or 300D since they take better pics compared to the 10mp P n S out there.

Get a camera that will last a couple of years, at least. Not only from the physical point of view, but also one that will allow you to grow with.

Unless you are really trying out - or sure that you are content to stay at entry level (nothing wrong, really).

Given the choice, at the same price, I would buy a used, but better dSLR. Get a knowledgeable friend to go along, check for obvious damage, shutter actuations give an indication of how heavily used ( mechanical things do break down ). I believe there are many examples of lightly used cameras around, where the owners either have them as backup body, or simply lost interest.

Buy from reputable sellers on CS, or pay a little more and buy from shops which gives some period of guarantee.

In life, nothing is sure-win. Buying used will save a couple of undred. But if "suay", the money saved will go into repairs...

Most of all, get started, and enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.