second hand lens for 350d. newbie use

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckyng

Jun 19, 2008
Hello all, i just bought a 350d frm a fellow CSer and i would like to know which kind of lens are suitable for beginners like me?

if say, portraits and landscapes? then which lens will be suitable?

you probably need more specifics.

but if you are not sure what you want to shoot, try the kit lens, firstly it is cheap, secondly the range is good for "trying out" and while the optical quality might be inferior, on the bright side in the future you will be happier when you pay the money for a better quality lens.

no one likes switching lenses, but sometimes you would need a variety of lenses. for portraits, at different distances, at different "cuts" of the entire person, you would need different lenses, to be honest. no one is going to use a 10mm lens to shoot a head-shoulders shot, for instance.

landscapes likewise - you could use an 18mm lens for a landscape, in other situations 70mm will be good, in other situations 200mm might be good.

understanding your own personal preference for perspective, i think is more important than stating the type of shots, because from abstracts to still life to portraits to architecture to landscapes.. all these need a variety of focal lengths and whoever tells you otherwise must be kidding themselves. but the "inner visualisation", how you see things.. that usually depends on the focal length you are best familiar with.

Hello all, i just bought a 350d frm a fellow CSer and i would like to know which kind of lens are suitable for beginners like me?

(I assume you got the camera with kit lens (18-55mm). Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)
I suggest using the camera with the kit lens first to find out what you like to shoot. The kit lens is a kind of 'universal lens' that will cover most requirements of the beginners - that's why Canon has put it in the package. Once you get more familiar with the equipment and once you learn how to use it and how the equipment affects your picture you will see what you need for certain type of pictures. Based on your needs you can then search specifically for certain lenses. Otherwise it will become a very expensive (and maybe frustrating) trial & error.
An alternative to buying a lens could be renting a lens. Check the services section here in the board, there are people offering lens rental services. For small money you can play with different lenses to see if they are useful to you. But, it only makes sense if you know what to look for. Back to sentence one :)

Btw: Your kit lens is suitable for portraits and landscapes. 18mm is a nice wide angle for landscapes, 55mm a good focal length for portraits. Be careful with recommendations that first you need a specific lens to shoot a certain type of picture. No lens will help you if you don't know what to do.

but if you are not sure what you want to shoot, try the kit lens,

Exactly the point.

Although it is true you need to know what u want to shoot in order for others to make recommendation, I find it really really really hard for new learners to answer what they need even before they tried out any shots. When i started out i also thought i wanted to try alot of stuffs. My kit lens eventually gave me the foundation and guidance.

Learn from the kit lens and grow from there. You will better appreciate what you need next ( or u may not even need at all )

Ryan

ohh okay okay i get it. so now i will just shoot and practice! thanks ppl! :D

18-55 is good enough for portraits + landscapes. 18mm for landscapes 55mm for portraits. Haha. But seriously, I only use primes for portraits, never really like zoom though some swear by the 70-200mm for portraits. To each their style. U should be able to find yours once you've outgrown the kit.

For landscapes you can use the EF-S 18-55. Stop down to F/8 to get sharp and good D.O.F photos.

For portraits get the EF 50 F/1.8 for a start. Stop down to F/2.8 & you will get nice sharp & blur dackground photos.

Happy buying & have fun shooting...;)

no one likes switching lenses, but sometimes you would need a variety of lenses. for portraits, at different distances, at different "cuts" of the entire person, you would need different lenses, to be honest. no one is going to use a 10mm lens to shoot a head-shoulders shot, for instance.

there was a photo exhibition few years back by a jap. lady who uses ultra wide and fish-eye to shoot portraits, head and shoulder, head shots. some normal print, others x-process also.

TS, dont be limited to traditional photography. try out alternative photography also, doenst matters is you photo is soft, wrong colors, motion blurr, camera shakes, vignet.....

anyway, digital age has made cost of photography very much affordable to general masses. important thing is to get your basic right. than if you like have pro gears, get them, nothing wrong as long as you are happy.

there was a photo exhibition few years back by a jap. lady who uses ultra wide and fish-eye to shoot portraits, head and shoulder, head shots. some normal print, others x-process also.

as long as she knows what she is doing

i mean, i'm not against unconventional photography.. but for the most part , 95% of the time distorted people does not work. i'm sure you know what i'm getting at.

as long as she knows what she is doing

i mean, i'm not against unconventional photography.. but for the most part , 95% of the time distorted people does not work. i'm sure you know what i'm getting at.

For me I would like to take a mix of both...;)

For landscapes you can use the EF-S 18-55. Stop down to F/8 to get sharp and good D.O.F photos.

For portraits get the EF 50 F/1.8 for a start. Stop down to F/2.8 & you will get nice sharp & blur dackground photos.

Happy buying & have fun shooting...;)

mm cant go wrong with the nifty fifty! 130 for a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.